Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Republican Gov. Doug Burgum has signed legislation that will allow most adults to carry a hidden firearm without a permit, making North Dakota one of about a dozen "constitutional carry" states.

The bill signed into law late Thursday will allow law-abiding people 18 and older to forgo background checks and classes that are now required. The legislation only requires someone carrying a concealed weapon to have a valid ID and notify law enforcement of the weapon during instances such as a traffic stop

The legislation comes into force Aug. 1.

Burgum, who is an avid hunter, urged anyone pondering carrying a concealed firearm to enroll in gun safety classes.

"Gun ownership is both a right and a responsibility," the governor said in a statement. "That responsibility begins with individuals and families."

The law sailed through both houses of the GOP-led Legislature, with dissension largely restricted to Democrats.

Supporters said the bill promotes the constitutional right to bear arms and allows protection from criminals. Critics worry it could lead to more shootings as people with less training would be carrying weapons.

Carrying a hidden firearm without a permit is currently a misdemeanor, punishable by up to 30 days in jail and a fine of up to $1,500. Some 48,700 of North Dakota's 759,000 residents have concealed carry permits.

House Majority Leader Al Carlson, a Fargo Republican, called the approved legislation "a great day for the Second Amendment."

Carlson and others in the gun-friendly red state say they don't expect the number of people packing hidden firearms to spike.

"There will not be people with bandoleros shooting everyone on Main Street," Carlson said Friday.

The bill was among a package of gun-rights measures being considered this session, including allowing people with concealed carry permits to have guns in churches, schools and other public places. It's unclear if Burgum will also sign those into law.

North Dakota residents already can get a concealed carry permit by completing an hour-long class and passing an open-book test. The classes cost about $50. An enhanced license, that allows reciprocity with other states, requires firearms training and the open-book test.

The South Dakota Legislature this month approved a similar measure but GOP Gov. Dennis Daugaard vetoed it, saying his state's gun laws are already reasonable.

[Linked Image]
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
About time.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Pizz on Daugaard. Startin to really worry about Republicans.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Your Drivers license is your carry permit.

I like it.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Awesome!

I wish Michigan would get it's schit together.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Only 38 or so states to go.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations North Dakota! Welcome to the brotherhood of free states.

That makes 13 out of 50.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Problem is, carry is still prevented in almost any place you might go in public on a regular basis, including:

-sports events
-churches
-schools
-college campuses
-any place selling alcohol
-political gatherings

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is this for residents only? Or can non residents also carry concealed in ND?

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Problem is, carry is still prevented in almost any place you might go in public on a regular basis, including:

-sports events
-churches
-schools
-college campuses
-any place selling alcohol
-political gatherings

Those are pretty standard prohibitions for most states. The church thing seems to be the one that varies the most from state to state.

At least the foot is in the door. Those things can be taken down one at a time. Thing to do is to get advice from organizations in other states that have successfully done so. But for now most politicians need a year or so to see that the sky hasn't fallen with giving people back their freedom.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sadly, at nearly the same time, the governor in South Dakota vetoed the exact same constitutional carry amendment. It is rare when ND is more libertarian than SD.

I hope that SD sees the "success" of the law in ND and brings it back around in next year's session.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by 257wby
Is this for residents only? Or can non residents also carry concealed in ND?

Everything I've read is that this applies to residents only (and you've had to have lived here for a year, minimum). Non-residents wishing to carry must have a permit from a state that has reciprocity with ND.

Might have to invest in that LC9 now....

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Oftentimes college students in ND are treated as "residents" for many purposes. I don't know if this will be the case for this bill concerning non-resident college students.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
"Critics worry it could lead to more shootings as people with less training would be carrying weapons."

Highly doubtful based on other areas that have gone this way. So that's a perhaps, but it won't be civilized people getting shot with more frequency... so what's the concern? Dumazz libs.

Chicago et al don't need no stinking carry laws to "allow" gang bangers, druggies,
etc to carry.... although some accuracy training might be helpful - just to eventually cut the number of people getting shot in the future.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

475 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 53 invisible), 2,718 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,929
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.