Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Not a pilates class discussion! grin

Have you guys noticed group sizes are smaller with your fat forearm leverguns vs. the schnable ones? I don't do as well with the skinnys, probably because my rest is too wide for them.

LOL
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The fat ones are better for me!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
As for inherent accuracy, I can't imagine there being a difference. As for practical/applied accuracy, I would think the fatter forearms would win especially when shooting off of a bench.

A Hobson's Choice: full forearm for better shooting, or narrow forearm with a tasteful schnabel for easier carrying and much nicer aesthetics (IMO), yet plenty accurate for doing what a man's gotta do. Yet another reason to own both styles!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Speaking of fat ones, that's how I feel this morning after our dinner last night. wink Check your PM's before you leave town, I've got some stocks that may work for you.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hmm.. I've got to say it's the reverse with me.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I've had bench rest shooting, and for that matter bulls eye pistol shooting, greatly affected by how I held the firearm. I had a 4-in Security Six that I always shot better with Pachmayr grips. I thought they were ugly but wood grips didn't work so good with me. I came to the conclusion that there are a lot of variables involved with target shooting and a lot are personal. I'd hand a rifle or pistol to a buddy who would shoot groups to a different point of aim than I did with absolutely no adjustments made to the sights. It could be that you just warm up to fat forearms better than you do to schnable tipped forearms.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
When I was shooting competition in the Navy and Marine Corps we found that the same rifle or pistol would shoot to a different place with different shooters. These were hand held so that definitely contributed to the difference. Even on a bench rest different people hold the gun differently. I consciously try to remember to hold the rifle the same, place my feet the same, etc. when I'm shooting off the bench. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I think the name of the game in target shooting (bulls eye pistol or bench rest rifle) is consistency. That is, consistency on how you hold the firearm and how you press the trigger. And the latter is also very important. You won't shoot good until you master the trigger of your firearm. But it is constancy in every way you operate the firearm.

I've experienced changes in my point of aim that were caused by changes in the light. The changes weren't measurable in degrees of deer, but they were measurable in point of impact on a paper target - which is what this game is all about.

But getting back to FB2s question, I think it has more to do with his preference in forearms. Schnable tipped 99s don't give you much to hold onto when shooting off a bench. As a matter of fact I think I read somewhere that a schnable tip was designed with the intent of grasping the forearm with your fingers and pressing the stock into your shoulder when shooting off hand.

Last edited by S99VG; 03/23/17.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I believe the difference is the person connected to the trigger finger. All the fat forearm 99s that have crossed my path have shot very well. I have many documented tiny groups with slender schnoble guns as well. Its the shooter that casts the deciding vote. IMHO.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The difference for me has been more about fat barrel/skinny barrel.

EG/R have shot similarly. 243 has shot better than any 30 caliber, smaller bore size leaving more metal around the 243 bore.

No 99 has shot consistently when using the forearm as the primary rest. I have practiced moving my left hand back almost to the receiver when shooting off-hand (silhouette comps helped this 1000%!)

But the best forearm? Free-floated of course!!
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Jeff you really aught to make some of those up.

LOL
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have, three so far

JeffG
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Now that's a seriously redesigned 99!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome Jeff. My pet peeve, and it is more a husquavarna meow. Is why do the make such a nice schnable, then put a sling stud in the way? A schnable needs a barrel band sling or a sling stud back from the luxuriant knob.

Last edited by Angus1895; 03/23/17.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Jeff, do you have records for pre and post floating groups to compare benefits of the floating job? Inquiring minds want to know.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I do have a couple comparisons of same loads before and after my forearm bracket. There was improvement, but most of my load developement happened after the free-floating. So it's hard to say what my best loads might have done in the un-floated barrels.

Long story of my little forearm bracket experiment, is that "I think" got more accuracy/consistency improvement from switching to a quality heavier barrel, than from free-floating a factory barrel.

Again, practicing shooting off-hand, with my forward hand moved back close to the receiver, has given me my best bench-to-field accuracy comparrison. But with the forearm bracket I don't have to worry about my field-hold affecting the POI.

This one's free-floated too, and it seems to work fine with a Broughton 270 Redding barrel..
[Linked Image]

JeffG
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My 284C has 8 confirmed kills after fitting the free-float bracket...only three before the bracket.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

JeffG
Q
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Q
When I shoot any gun with 2 piece stocks off a bench, I always put the front bag under the action, not the forend. After finding the load that groups best, I still use bags, but grasp the forend and rest the back of my hand on the front bag, then adjust the sights to place the group where I want it. I want to duplicate shooting off-hand, as that is the way I'll shoot while hunting. Most, if not all, 2 piece stocked guns will change POI when switching from one method to the other.

G
G
New guy here and I'm happy to see a forum supporting Savage 99's. I was consumed by the serial# thread and read all 14 pages.
I just snagged a 99C (with spare mag)and am tickled pink to again be a 99 owner. Many years ago (1968) I bought one new from an Air Base Annex and it was always a disappointment to me...something was amiss and I could never hit a deer with it. I tried several sight set-ups and always after boresighting the rear sight would have to be moved to the far right in order to bring the groups to center target. I played with handloads and developed what I felt was a good recipe for it. But still I would miss deer with it. The gunsmith was befuddled and was reluctant to mount a scope...I forget why now. During one rainy season the finish took a hit so I did a super refinishing job on it. It was gorgeous and I received many compliments. But I always felt something was wrong at the muzzle, so I finally gave up on it and traded it for a Remington 742. Almost immediately I started bagging deer again. Psychological? who knows.
Anyway I later realized what a gem I had and regretted trading it. So now I again have one and I'm so far happy with it. But I'm curious about the forend. It isn't shaped like my earlier rifle and I wonder what everyone's thoughts are. The new one (serial # D6832xx-I'm guessing late 70's, early 80's?) is thicker (fat?) and fluted on the sides, and the only checkering is on the bottom. Seems odd to me but feels ok. Also the front sling swivel is mounted on the barrel with a barrel band. Not sure how I feel about that. I've tried to post a pic, not sure if it went through.

Attached Images
99C Forend II.jpg (95.18 KB, 26 downloads)
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
WOW! Just think less accuracy with a two piece......as in a bikini. Big girls like the one piece suit.....more accurate with the fat bottom for end....coincidence? Oh well. I agree my best shooting in the 99 the rest I like best is nestling the receiver. As a kumbay yay note. I do not think there is a forum I am aware of that has a core group of contributions that are as constructive and lacking troll like behavior as this forum. I am glad I got savage 99 s probabally more for the forum than the rifle. I know it is too corny to digest.....but I have switched from Kiwanis cream ale to dead guy ale. A whole point higher in ABV.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 81 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.