Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Boxer
Originally Posted by StrayDog
I'm asking about TI style pressure point inside the barrel channel near the fore end tip. Designed to apply pressure on the barrel when the stock is tightened.

I'm conditioned for free floating barrels and thinking about buying a TI stock for my M700. Any good experience with this style? Do you grind them out or leave them?

Rifles talk...yet nobody listens.

Simply shoot the fhuqking thing with open ears and take it from there.

Now as to vertical stringing/bipod bitch slap,that is more of a function of the integrity of the stock,than it is the bedding job. A rigid handle(that means McMillan or a Chassis),is impervious to such thangs,as compared to Living Handles,Laminates and other attempts at Synthetics handles. So you must weigh integrity first,before painting yourself in a corner and then be realistic for the application of the blueprint and how it will be used.

I've had/have Ti's from 1st Gen REAL one's,to various Faux versions of same and none are of McMillan integrity/rigidity. They do however respond VERY well,to slight upwards pressure and a pad and they stay static in that regard. I'd gun as issued,with a dab bedded lug and tang affirmations,then let it tell me what it wanted. A silicone pad up front,is very often a Magical Cure,for long term POA/POI satisfactions. BT/DT and have ALL the T-shirts.

That being said,I never shoot said platforms from a bipod and all that work is either offa ruck or MPAJ Hasty Rest,with thunks given to pressure impetus and release. Said platforms have sold ALOTTA rifles in the flesh,after others have gunned same. Hint.

I've piles and piles of rifles with fore end pressure and FL neutral bedding and have lonnnggggggg been a fan of silicone pads,to sweeten the pot. This covering the gamut from 6-pounders to 18-pounders and all stops in between. Hint.

Catching the lug,orienting the tang and keeping schit out of a fhuqking bind are THE opening moves and tip pressure is something that gets critiqued,as empties fly out the port.

I tend to rest handles of the ilk near the receiver ring,to extoll the inherent integrity virtues of said location,in relation to it's influx upon a barreled action. Montucky handles are more rigid than any/all things Ti and they LOVE a silicone or similar pad.

Have never had one shoot "loose",wiggle or stray...mainly because they cain't.

Hint.

You've been led to water.

Stumpy....

next time you lead someone to water....

Do the wife a favor...

While you're there...

Take a Bath...

I hear his soon to be ex wife will probably clean him out anyway

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't say I'd remove them on this rig. Faux Ti

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was at Mr. Kleiguenthers shop one time. I watched him apply a pressure point in the barrel channel of a k15.
Over time with a wooden stock the wood seems to relax and the pressure on the barrel changes. The accuracy goes to pot. Then it's time to reapply the pressure or free float. I have a laminated and a Brown precession that has a pressure point that has not relaxed and are very accurate. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe a pressure point is a good idea, but I have hoarded way too many centerfire rifles. Most I will never get around to test firing. If I do, I will not have time to tune up a pressure point, so I free float everything before taking to the range.

For the past few years, I have not even shot any factory barrels. I rebarrel everything before giving it a trip to the range.

But now with IMR-4451 and IMR-4166 available, factory barrels may be good enough.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Try it with,
Try it without,
Decide.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
In the "early" days (and given my age, I can say that), Leonard Brownell and others believed that the next step you would take would be a full-length bed - action AND barrel channel. In the first AGRAGLAS instructions, that was what was recommended and Bishop's and [bleep]'s offered/recommended it in their finished custom stocks. In most instances, it DID improve over the previous status quo. Not saying that is the ultimate way to go as the norm for me is to free-float my rifles; however, the take-away is that stable pressure can temper a barrel's harmonics and shrink groups.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Why did the system "bleep" F - A - G - E- N - S ? Does that somehow represent an improper word OR is the automated system in need of reprogramming?

Last edited by Offshoreman; 03/19/17.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have 100% of my rifles floated. Years ago I had a coule with pressure points in forend. After taking out that pressure point, they shot much better.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All of my Montanas like a pressure point.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a ti rifle new in about 2001. I shot it, floated it, shot it, full length bedded it....shot it. It always shot good, but it has shot most consistent FL bedded.

I'm conscious not to reef the jesus out of the sling and not get stupid about applying pressure to the bipod.

That rifle will still put 5 into a quarter or better.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,329 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,635
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.