Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I took my nephew Chandler and my cousin's lil girl Bethany on our two day youth hunt this weekend and man, it was exciting to say the least. Bethany had a ball tourney Saturday, so lil man was up to bat first. The weather was not the best that morn with wind, clouds, and a sprinkle once in a while. We heard a tom on a non-hunted neighboring farm early, but some dude got between us on the edge of our lease and bumped him. There was a bunch of sign in the area, so I decided to sit tight for a while. About 8 a lone tom fired off behind us in the pines prob 200yds, so I hit him and he started coming. That dude got to about 50-60yds through the brush and a dang hen came in cutting and raising cane in front of us. At first I thought it was on with the live decoy, he was eating it up and close enough we could hear him drumming, but the ole girl went right to him and led him away from us of course before he made it out in the open for a shot. The rest of the day was a bust, we hunted hard until 4:30pm, but never got on anything. He had a blast though and we both got pretty shook up when the tom got close, so that's all that matters.

Sunday was B's turn, so I decided to go into the same spot we got on the tom Sat. The weather was perfect, clear, calm, and 55deg. At daylight we could barely hear some birds on the neighbor's farm, but that was it, nothing happening on the lease. After about 45min I decided to raise a little cane and see what the distant birds would do and I'll be danged if they didn't get a bit closer every few mins or so. They gobbled so much I believe it was 3 toms by the sound of them cutting each other off. After about an hour I got them to cross some pastures and come through the fence on us, but the rascals hung up about 150yds out and wouldn't budge. They lit up at everything I tried, but wouldn't budge off an old logging set. After a while some hens went right to them and they shut up. We made a move and got a bit closer. I was able to get one to give a few courtesy gobbles and finally pulled him back to the logging set. I threw everything j could think of, but 100yds was it. He was just around a bend in the old logging rd. I gave him the silent treatment and finally he started twds us. Right before that rascal got to us he turned about 50yds out and left out gobbling once in a while. I went down and cut his tracks, he made it to 50yds, but just out of sight due to some brush. We gave it til 11:30, but nothing happened. We made a move to another lease at noon and had a bird hammering when we got out of the truck. We scrambled to get set up and he hammered at everything I gave him for a while, but he was steadily getting further away. A bit later I heard footsteps back behind us, so told B not to move a muscle. I eased around and saw it was 3 jakes coming. They walked by pretty close and when they got about 25yds I told her to shoot. She put a 1-5/8oz load of TSS right in that rascal's neck. It was just a jake, but last setup and 1pm, I decided to give the green light. You'd of thought it was a giant 4yo, she was pumped.

I love taking kids hunting, I think I get more nervous than they do lol. It was an awesome wknd. I love it when a plan comes together!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That's what it's all about right there. Congrats on a great hunt!

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Starting the season right! Good job man

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good on ya man! Sounds like a fun weekend. Time to get the grill hot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
my best hunting memories by far are the ones involving my kids and the youth hunt season, both deer and turkey. congrats to the kids and the guide!

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks guys!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love the story and Really love Her Smile !! A Jake for a Jenny, it doesn't get any better. smile

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Congrats Ronny. It's great to see the kids connect!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Love it!! That's top notch my friend. Good luck

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats Ronny. I hope to get some of that going in a few years. Baby girl should be ready by 5. Maybe???!!!

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's awesome!! Well done.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

400 members (160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 34 invisible), 2,611 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,804
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.