Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Alaska's regulation book is a little different in the layout compared to most but way I read it , there is no weapon restriction for grouse and Ptarmigan?? I am assuming that I can hunt them with a 22?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
yes

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As a kid bird hunting was my fave, mostly quail hunting

After I moved to Alaska and started meeting fellow outdoorsmen I naturally inquired about upland bird hunting specifically

"Oh yeah, ptarmigan and grouse are around in fair numbers "

Just as polite conversation I'd ask what do you use figuring to hear 20, 410 or 12 ga. Maybe the odd 16 ga. Or 28 gauge mentioned

But oh no the reply I got was "either a shotgun or .22"

It honestly had never occurred to me to shoot a sitting bird at that point in my life

Knew of sluicing but thought that was for desperately poor folks that couldn't shoot worth a chit

So I'm thinking " damn these bastids are shooting birds outa the air with a .22, I'll starve trying to do that !"

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I always have a Savage 24 in 22lr-20ga in my truck, 4 wheeler and snowmobile....I'll shoot a grouse when I see them season is 9/15 - 12/31....prefer eating a head shot grouse compared to picking shot and feathers out of a taste breast....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had the idea that it was "unsportmanslike" to kill a gamebird that was not on the wing. It took a comment by a 10 year grandson, whose interest was solely in eating whatever we could kill, to point out that my ideal as possibly foolish. After all, we didn't wait for a deer to run, or fly, before shooting.
In spite of eating around pellets and pellet holes for several decades, I have never learned to prefer it to neatly headshot bird.

Last edited by fishdog52; 03/25/17.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer whacking them with a .22. I carry a .22 pistol in the truck or 4-wheeler just for that reason.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are parts of the state where people will look at you crazy crazy for 'wasting' a shotgun shell to kill a ptarmigan. (But don't body-shoot one with your 22 either, you "rookie". wink )

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Old story is how dumb spruce chickens are...

One can sight in a .22 while the bird awaits the hit.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

It works less well with a 45-70...... perhaps I just need to test the theory more. laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was caribou hunting with some old family friends from Outside many years ago. I carried a monster pack they could hardly move (little guys) and back at the trailhead we stumbled into a big flock of Ptarmigan.

Attempting to shoot the head off one with a 308Norma I managed to hit the one right behind him at the very base of the neck. The shot missed the body cleanly but removed the head leaving a tiny bit of skin fore and aft holding the head on. The crop was completely gone!

So I picked the bird up and showed them exactly where to shoot birds to make them easier to clean. They still talk about my incredible shooting... completely forgetting the running wolf I missed earlier in the trip.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

It works less well with a 45-70...... perhaps I just need to test the theory more. laugh

Trying to take down the tree?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

Trying to take down the tree?

I guess I should be more careful. Trees out there on the western 'plains' are nearly as scarce as those black 'ptarmigan'. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Attempting to shoot the head off one with a 308Norma I managed to hit the one right behind him at the very base of the neck. The shot missed the body cleanly but removed the head leaving a tiny bit of skin fore and aft holding the head on. The crop was completely gone!

I can add that running a 358 Norma SP just a shade lower can quite neatly filet the breast meat out of such a bird. crazy

But a heavy bud-filled crop has resulted in more than one bird flying off sans crop when using a 22. (Those buds can really absorb the impact.)

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I harvested many grouse with a Nylon 66 as a kid in Unalakleet. I'd like to say they were all head shots but not always.

I was high school age and working in Nome one summer/fall. When ptarmigan season opened I took a guy from New York City out hunting on the tundra with me. First time he'd ever been out hunting. I was using a 20 gauge double and a flock of about 12-15 ptarmigan crossed in front of us at about 30 yards. I put a lead on the bird in front and cleanly dropped the two birds at the back when I shot. I didn't tell him where I was holding but might have mentioned that in Alaska we never shoot the lead bird, it needs to guide the others through the tough winter to come.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've chest shot a few ptarmigan with my 480 using a mild load, 310 gr @ 700 fps. The first one was not knowing how much lower the mild loads hit than full patch loads, next one was just an F-up. On the upside caliber size entrance and quarter sized exit so not much lost meat.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Pard has provided more than a couple camp meals via his chicken gun - .410 revolver.

I'm tempted to steal the one he had engraved with ol' Foghorn!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
good to hear

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
As a kid bird hunting was my fave, mostly quail hunting

After I moved to Alaska and started meeting fellow outdoorsmen I naturally inquired about upland bird hunting specifically

"Oh yeah, ptarmigan and grouse are around in fair numbers "

Just as polite conversation I'd ask what do you use figuring to hear 20, 410 or 12 ga. Maybe the odd 16 ga. Or 28 gauge mentioned

But oh no the reply I got was "either a shotgun or .22"

It honestly had never occurred to me to shoot a sitting bird at that point in my life

Knew of sluicing but thought that was for desperately poor folks that couldn't shoot worth a chit

So I'm thinking " damn these bastids are shooting birds outa the air with a .22, I'll starve trying to do that !"

Soooo... did you ever master that shot Randy?

That's some funny shift there, 😀

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Screw that - head shooting a sitting bird with a shotgun is the way to go.... KISS. smile

If it is good enough for turkey hunters, it's damned well good enough for grouse!

Once "head shot" a ptarmigan at about 15 feet with the scope-sighted '06 while sheep hunting. Forgot the scope is a mite higher than the bore.

Wound up with the head and the back skin all the way back to a single leg, plus a smear on the rocks.

Last edited by las; 03/27/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Love my single six for handling Ptarmigan. Oh, and porky pines too. smile

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

284 members (2ndwind, 308xray, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,051
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.