Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Adk,

I made the rack to fit in my Reese hitch. It will handle anything I would ever want to haul

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
In regards to the chest freezer, yes, I have thought of that myself once. I could pick a freezer up at Lowes or Home Depot for a couple hundred bucks and 5 gallons of gas for the generator. Constant temps and maybe a small Coleman Extreme cooler to boot. Eight hundred bucks is a big chunk of change for some for a cooler. Well thought out people.
Even if you didn't turn it on, a chest freezer is cheaper than a Yeti. They're well insulated so just fill it with ice. They have drain holes.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by tedthorn
You cut the elk into quarters then you cover it with ice......drive home

It really is that simple

One of the coolers that Ted has will fit a cow elk boned out. Two will do it with the quarters bone in or a bull easily. I have done it, but I don't make a habit of taking pics of packed coolers.

Last edited by BWalker; 03/23/17.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
In regards to the chest freezer, yes, I have thought of that myself once. I could pick a freezer up at Lowes or Home Depot for a couple hundred bucks and 5 gallons of gas for the generator. Constant temps and maybe a small Coleman Extreme cooler to boot. Eight hundred bucks is a big chunk of change for some for a cooler. Well thought out people.
Even if you didn't turn it on, a chest freezer is cheaper than a Yeti. They're well insulated so just fill it with ice. They have drain holes.

Had to laugh out loud, good point, it being so obvious I never would have given it a thought.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BWalker
You cut the elk into quarters then you cover it with ice......drive home

It really is that simple

One of the coolers that Ted has will fit a cow elk boned out. Two will do it with the quarters bone in or a bull easily. I have done it, but I don't make a habit of taking pics of packed coolers.

I might take a few pics of a packed cooler just for future references. But yes, I understand the logic of not taking them as well.

Oscar Wilde~~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Guess I never saw the logic of taking a picture of a cooler full of ice.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
OP - the RTIC line is a good product for what you want to do.

The chest freezer is another good idea, but bigger, and will take up more room in the load planning for the trip.

It sounds like you are leaving a vehicle parked at a trailhead and hiking or riding into camp.

If one of your party tags on the first day, what are you planning to do for storing meat?

In Idaho, you may see temps in the 70-80s during elk season, or you may in 12 inches of snow. You'll have to plan for both, and what to do with the meat.

It sound like the worst case scenario is the guy that tags out the last night of the hunt, and you have to haul the meat the next day all the way back to New York state.

Am I somewhat on track with your plan?

Last edited by AH64guy; 03/23/17.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Guess I never saw the logic of taking a picture of a cooler full of ice.

Kind of what I was thinking....

Good Shooting!
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Tedhorn, packed with elk meat and ice I hope. (References) Why? I don't know maybe just to have for occasions like this.

Ah64guy,
Leave a vehicle at the trailhead, hike into a camp maybe a drop camp. If I or we tag early we would have to store meat inside of cooler depending on temps I can assume we could hang the meat for a spell if needed. Most of these coolers seem to hold ice for 5 days, in turn, I could have ice in the cooler at the trailhead while I or we are hunting. Hunts seem to be planned for 7 to ten days depending on success. Uncertain how drop camps operate in the sense of coming to camp to help you pack an elk out. Could be an issue of distance and time. But I would rather have a horse do the work than my back if possible. (Chuckles).

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In Idaho, you may see temps in the 70-80s during elk season, or you may in 12 inches of snow. You'll have to plan for both, and what to do with the meat.
Years ago here in ID, I shot a moose in 10" of snow on the 1st day of our hunt. 4 days later, the snow was gone and the NIGHTS weren't getting below 50. We drove 50 miles to a meat processor and paid him to hang it for a few more days while we tried to get my partner's moose.
Yup, plan for anything.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I've got orca, pescaro, cabelas outfitter made by grizzly and rtic, all damn nice coolers, the big cabelas I got for a song at the Boise cabelas, pard and I bought the last 2 for $350ish out the door. Took it to Alberta last year, 2 boned out bucks, horns capes and all my gear tucked away in it, worked great. Going to BC with me this year on a moose hunt.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The King!

Oscar Wilde~~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The pescaro is nice, they're made for England's marine here in Washington, and are reasonably priced. The big cabelas I just couldn't pass up for the scratch. Out of the 4 the orca is the best quality I think

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have:

Taken generator and freezer. Great plan if you are already hauling a 4 wheeler trailer, etc.
Used the big, cheap igloos. White ones hold ice for a good while. Green ones like in Ted's pick melt ice much faster because the absorb the heat instead of reflect it. Great way to go.
Picked up empty yeti and almost threw my back out. Way too heavy and not enough storage room for the size.

I've considered:

Building a storage box myself with insulated material.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If you are even considering a Yeti, look at RTIC and save money. Same cooler, but very good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
These new coolers from Maluna look interesting. I'm on their facebook group, but haven't backed them.

Maluna Kickstarter

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
All very nice coolers folks. Many choices and opinions to choose from but I think I am going with at least a two hundred quart model in a Pelican or an Orca 140 quart. Not the biggest but these coolers are expensive no matter what one we choose. I have ruled the Yeti out on too many other choices available and prefer to spend my money without the popular vote. Nothing personal with the Yetis.

Maybe a Coleman extreme 200 qt. and a Pelican mid-size as well, a combination of both. Only going to be iced for 4 days max coming home, so with dry ice and cubed ice and some cardboard insulation between the meat and dry ice it will be fine.

Last edited by Adk_BackCountry; 04/01/17.

Oscar Wilde~~
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've had a grizzly 150 quart that I've used for years to haul my boned out elk back to GA. Usually a three day return trip. Iced down, my elk always came back frozen solid until this past fall. We made a straight drive back, about 27 hours. When I opened the lid, my meat was thawed. Cool, but thawed.

I checked the cooler closely and discovered that the lid was warped about a quarter inch or so. Our 27 hour drive back resulted in warm air shooting into the cooler at 65-70mph. Luckily, the meat wasn't ruined, but I was pissed off nonetheless.

A call to the sweet lady in customer service resulted in a warranty replacement at no charge. They have upgraded their 150 quart model to 165 quarts with other "design upgrades" as well according to Grizzly. It's supposed to be shipped this spring sometime. Until the lid warped, it was perfectly fine. I'm curious to see how the 165 holds up.

Last edited by Godogs57; 04/01/17.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I've had a grizzly 150 quart that I've used for years to haul my boned out elk back to GA. Usually a three day return trip. Iced down, my elk always came back frozen solid until this past fall. We made a straight drive back, about 27 hours. When I opened the lid, my meat was thawed. Cool, but thawed.

I checked the cooler closely and discovered that the lid was warped about a quarter inch or so. Our 27 hour drive back resulted in warm air shooting into the cooler at 65-70mph. Luckily, the meat wasn't ruined, but I was pissed off nonetheless.

A call to the sweet lady in customer service resulted in a warranty replacement at no charge. They have upgraded their 150 quart model to 165 quarts with other "design upgrades" as well according to Grizzly. It's supposed to be shipped this spring sometime. Until the lid warped, it was perfectly fine. I'm curious to see how the 165 holds up.

Yeah, I would be ticked off myself, hopefully, the next one holds up for you.

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I checked the cooler closely and discovered that the lid was warped about a quarter inch or so

That is the undoing of most mid-range and lower end coolers. Unmolested, near every cooler on the market has great potential. Two hundred fifty pound people using them for camp seats or raft benches eventually sinks the middle and lifts the ends letting air circulate. Duct tape all around is an adequate fix, but a PIA if there's much in and out to do.

Again, I get by with ice for up to 15 days with 160 qt white single lid Igloo's. I let it be known on the front end of every trip that my coolers WILL NOT be used as benches or step ladders. That is what our lawn chairs or buckets are for. I'm on about the 7th year with my present unit, and it's still quite tight. I'm well under $150 with that cooler and our 3 lawn chairs.

Thankful to finally see some common sense moving into the pricing realm. Some very nice units available and I suspect there's still some profit to be had.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/02/17.

1Minute
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (16Racing, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,923 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,035
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.