Campfire Member
B
which do you use and why?

BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A friend of mine has QD on his 416Rigby and has two different scope setups for two different loads - plains game and dangerous game.

I haven't been to Africa but shoot informal competition and have QD (Warne) on my 458WM - one scope for normal loads and another for cast loads. An NECG rear ghost ring sight spends most time on the rifle. If I were to hunt I Africa, I'd take the 458 with scope + ghost ring as a back-up.

I've never had any issues with the Warne QDs and they always maintain the sight settings. I'm always swapping the scopes and GR sights over so they've had plenty of use.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like solid-mounted scopes as a rule. If you are using a big bore in Africa after Cape Buffalo or Elephant, it might be helpful to have a QD mount for in-close work, where you can remove the scope for a better field of view.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
QD on my heavy rifle. Fixed on all others.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Originally Posted by BlackHunter

Same for me.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Omega51
Originally Posted by BlackHunter

Same for me.

Samey same.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Talley QD steel on the .375 and.458, fixed on the .300 Wby. The Wby doesn't have iron sights.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I usually have QD's on any of them, so I can change out a scope easily if something happens to it. Have a spare scope set up in the same rings.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have QR extension rings on my Winchester 70 in 375 H&H, otherwise the only Leupold Vari-X IIc 2-7x28 tube would be too short to reach proper eye relief.

If I was going back to Africa, I would bring my Interarms Mark X mannlichers in 7x57 and 9.3x62 with Leopold QRs and an extra scope pre-zeroed for each rifle, probably 2-7x33s or 2.5-8x36s, all with HD reticles.

In the U.S., I always carry a spare rifle, but that isn't practical, so a rifle set up with QR mounts and a spare, pre-zeroed, scope is a good alternative.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I usually have QD's on any of them, so I can change out a scope easily if something happens to it. Have a spare scope set up in the same rings.

Same as MD for my heavy rifles. Personally, I know I'm not practiced enough to want to rely on open sights during a DG hunt. However, scopes can and will go bad on the heavy rifles so I always bring an extra scope set up with the same rings and sighted in so I can easily swap the scope out.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
QD are good for a back up scope or to have a higher power scope for load work and lower to hunt with. On a heavy rifle they just seem right but I would not be likely to take the scope off to use irons in the field unless the scope got banged. The tally peep is a nice addition and can be carried at all times. You can increase the aperture size to make it more of a ghost ring. I have also had good reputability with the fixed Talley's and they are fast to change with the Torx screws. On some rifles I took the levers off to make them more snag proof and a 100% reliable.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
QD on all my rifles that have open sights (all are large caliber 375 to 450) and fixed on all without sights (medium to small caliber. No use in having open sights if no QD rings. I don't have any rifles using 2 scopes.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I use Leopold QD on my Win 375 with backup iron sights and open sights on my 500 NE double rifle. I actually love to shoot the 375 with open sights whenever possible and of course gotta shoot a double with open sights.

B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have the QRW mounts on my .375 and travel with an identical spare scope pre zeroed. Swapping between scopes shows no change to point of impact. In fact, I swap between scopes every other trip to the range so I have confidence that swapping is as painless as can be. I am not so much worried about the scope going haywire as I am about physical damage to the scope. Now, if I bang and damage a scope while climbing a kopje I can be back in business in a matter of minutes without wasting a bunch of time and ammo.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I prefer QD scope bases on my DG rifle. I had Leupold QRW bases and rings on my pre 64 Win 70 in 375 H&H in Africa but changed to Leupold QR bases and rings upon my return.

The QRW's are very low, very compact, and very easy to manipulate. They are very secure and return to zero very well. But, and this is a big but, that easy to manipulate lever caught on anything and everything!

The biggest detractor with the QR levers is I about half the time need a leatherman or other pliers to loosen them after they have been on a while.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Talley QRs on the 375 with a spare scope in Talley rings plus the Talley peep that mounts on the rear base.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a couple sets of ad bases and rings. I use them to try out different scopes on different rifles. Right now I'm getting ready to set up a .270 for cow elk. I'm planing on trying a 3.5-10 and a fixed scope.

Normally put on fixed mounts after I find what I like. This justifies the expense of the QDs.

What people are saying about QDs on dangerous game rifles makes sense.

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My set-up on the .375 was a Leupold VX III 1.5-5x When things got close it cranked down to 1.5..faster than irons to use. try it sometime...

The scope was mounted in ( HORRORS!) the basic two piece windage adjustable Leupold mounts.

It never did go 'boing!' but if it had it was a simple matter to unscrew one windage screw, give the scope a twist and shoot the irons ( which were regulated..)

Simple and worked like a charm...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Regular scope bases on my light rifle, a Christensen 300 WSM, QDs on the mediums and none on the heavies, Open sights on the last category.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I mounted Warne QD rings on my Ruger Hawkeye African .375 Ruger, before my last trip to Africa. These rings mount on the fixed Ruger factory base.
What I found was that accuracy suffered with these rings- I simply could not get the sub-MOA accuracy I had been getting with the Ruger rings I was using before. Thought it might be the scope, but tried another scope with the same results.
I went back to using the Ruger rings, and the accuracy returned! If I ever need to use the irons, a quarter in my pocket removes the scope in seconds, and it's good to go.
Re-mounting the scope might need a shot or two to confirm zero, but that can be done back at camp, or wherever.
I now have two sets of Warne QD rings for sale, that fit the Ruger base.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.