R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by RickyD
Seems 'ol Gorsuch is down with infanticide and queer marriage, like all good lieberals. Will Schummer still filibuster Gorsuch? I hope so!

http://www.wnd.com/2017/03/gorsuch-comments-on-settled-law-unsettling-to-conservatives/

Republicans have waited eight years for the chance to place another conservative justice on the Supreme Court, and they apparently have their chance now that President Trump has nominated Judge Neil Gorsuch to fill the seat vacated by the late Antonin Scalia.

But his comments, during his confirmation hearing this week in the U.S. Senate, revealed the nation’s “settled law” includes “gay marriage” and unlimited abortion.

While being questioned by Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., on the destruction of unborn children, Gorsuch stated “the Supreme Court of the United States has held in Roe v. Wade that a fetus is not a person for purposes of the Fourteenth Amendment.”

When Durbin asked if he accepted that, the judge replied, “That’s the law of the land. I accept the law of the land, senator, yes.”

And when pressed on “same-sex marriage,” Gorsuch acknowledged the Supreme Court had ruled such marriages are protected by the Constitution. He declared Obergefell v. Hodges, which struck down “same-sex marriage” bans nationwide in 2015, to be “absolutely settled law.”

Given this, Daniel Horowitz, senior editor at Conservative Review, is not the least bit confident Gorsuch is the constitutional conservative many Republicans are hoping for.

“Gorsuch is saying that Roe is the law of the land and Obergefell, which is one of the most radical opinions ever, is ‘absolutely settled law,'” Horowitz told WND. “There’s nothing there to give us assurances that he’s anywhere on par with Scalia, and that’s the seat we’re filling.”

Horowitz said Gorsuch’s deferential attitude toward Supreme Court precedent, even on cases that themselves upended precedent, illustrates the problem he wrote about in his book “Stolen

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2017/03/gorsuch-...ng-to-conservatives/#dtKiGPIEPy1r21JP.99
Quit going JeffO and make America Great Again...this time by stfu.

You seem to be drawn to ignorance and censureship. You turning lieberal?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Squidge
Do you want a "judicial activist" appointed to the SC? Or one that respects "stare decisis"?

I dont want zerocare to be the law of the land.

It IS the law of the land.

John Roberts upheld that.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The way to end abortion is by ammending the Constitution to prohibit it
How about by pointing out neither abortion or marriage is an enumerated responsibility of the federal government by the constitution, therefore the scotus rulings are illegal and state law prevails?

I agree, but the way to end it is to change the Constitution and put it out of reach (as far as possible, anyway). We're well past the point where arguing about Federal over-reach is a workable tactic.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've been less and less enamored with Gorsuch starting from day one. He's also weak on torture, based on his history. Who the hell picked this guy?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by stevelyn
I'm still trying to understand how abortion and gay marriage affects my everyday life.
It shifts the culture in the direction pushed by the Cultural Marxists.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MadMooner
A lot of folks here don't want a constitutional judge, they want a cheerleader for all of their causes.

And folks wonder why we can't ever get anything done.
Being in favor of keeping unconstitutional past decisions isn't being pro-Constitution.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Squidge
Do you want a "judicial activist" appointed to the SC? Or one that respects "stare decisis"?
Sorry, you can't find stare decisis in the Constitution. If a past decision was unconstitutional, it needs overturning.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Seems 'ol Gorsuch is down with infanticide and queer marriage, like all good lieberals. Will Schummer still filibuster Gorsuch? I hope so!

http://www.wnd.com/2017/03/gorsuch-comments-on-settled-law-unsettling-to-conservatives/

Republicans have waited eight years for the chance to place another conservative justice on the Supreme Court, and they apparently have their chance now that President Trump has nominated Judge Neil Gorsuch to fill the seat vacated by the late Antonin Scalia.

But his comments, during his confirmation hearing this week in the U.S. Senate, revealed the nation’s “settled law” includes “gay marriage” and unlimited abortion.

While being questioned by Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., on the destruction of unborn children, Gorsuch stated “the Supreme Court of the United States has held in Roe v. Wade that a fetus is not a person for purposes of the Fourteenth Amendment.”

When Durbin asked if he accepted that, the judge replied, “That’s the law of the land. I accept the law of the land, senator, yes.”

And when pressed on “same-sex marriage,” Gorsuch acknowledged the Supreme Court had ruled such marriages are protected by the Constitution. He declared Obergefell v. Hodges, which struck down “same-sex marriage” bans nationwide in 2015, to be “absolutely settled law.”

Given this, Daniel Horowitz, senior editor at Conservative Review, is not the least bit confident Gorsuch is the constitutional conservative many Republicans are hoping for.

“Gorsuch is saying that Roe is the law of the land and Obergefell, which is one of the most radical opinions ever, is ‘absolutely settled law,'” Horowitz told WND. “There’s nothing there to give us assurances that he’s anywhere on par with Scalia, and that’s the seat we’re filling.”

Horowitz said Gorsuch’s deferential attitude toward Supreme Court precedent, even on cases that themselves upended precedent, illustrates the problem he wrote about in his book “Stolen

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2017/03/gorsuch-...ng-to-conservatives/#dtKiGPIEPy1r21JP.99

Ignorance is not knowing things, like how to spell censorship. You otoh, can happily keep demonstrating both your ignorance and lack of intellect by actually siding with "lieberals" on subjects and also adopting their tactic of calling out enemies on things they themselves are guilty of. I would never censor you. I did however, attempt to counsel you to quit acting retarded. But maybe it's not an act.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
He said those things in his confirmation hearings. Would you expect a far leftie in the same place say what they really intend to do? No. None of what Gorsuch said there is binding, it's all just flim-flam to keep from being rejected. Everybody knows that. Or ought to.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Years ago, they talked about, "Strict Constructionism, and Loose Constructionism".

Perhaps someone brighter than I could elaborate on that.

Example of strict construction: Nowhere within the four corners of the Constitution do we find a right to have an abortion.

Example of loose construction: We find the right to an abortion within the penumbras, formed by emanations from other rights found in the Bill of Rights.

IC B3

R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
The way to end abortion is by ammending the Constitution to prohibit it
How about by pointing out neither abortion or marriage is an enumerated responsibility of the federal government by the constitution, therefore the scotus rulings are illegal and state law prevails?

I agree, but the way to end it is to change the Constitution and put it out of reach (as far as possible, anyway). We're well past the point where arguing about Federal over-reach is a workable tactic.
I don't believe there is any chance of decent amendments to the constitution being passed by the states at this time of intense polarization.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It matters not what Judge Gorsuch says at the "hearings". He will not be confirmed, Republicans do not have votes to end a Democrat filibuster or to change the rules to end filibusters on SC appointments. The GOP is not known as the Stupid Party for nothing.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Heller is also settled law.

The way to end abortion is by ammending the Constitution to prohibit it, or at least allow it to be restricted by the states.

If guys want to poke each other in the pooper and settle down in a vine- covered cottage, it's of no concern to me. Personally, I don't get the attraction, but then I also don't like lima beans.
I can't disagree with any of that other than to go a bit farther and to say that to REALLY end abortion, the private sector (IOW Christianity) need to win hearts and minds to Jesus. If that were the case, there would be few abortions. And like marriage, there would be no need for the government to either outlaw or legalize it.

That is certainly the iideal, God-honoring way, but the law needs to protect the innocent unborn, regardless of the spiritual situation of the parents,

As far as the pooper-pokers go, they are making a free-will decision to do what they know is wrong and will pay the price in the end (terrible pun). Convincing them to abandon their practice will be difficult, especially with all the liberal churches caving on doctrine. Fundamentalists on the other hand, generally try to threaten and berate people to Jesus. Neither approach is very helpful. I simply don't see the State's role in this.

Last edited by Pappy348; 03/25/17.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Ignorance is not knowing things, like how to spell censorship. You otoh, can happily keep demonstrating both your ignorance and lack of intellect by actually siding with "lieberals" on subjects and also adopting their tactic of calling out enemies on things they themselves are guilty of. I would never censor you. I did however, attempt to counsel you to quit acting retarded. But maybe it's not an act.
Ahhhhh, another spelling nazi. It fits you well. Might be a lieberal, too. They like to say things like stfu and then try to claim it's not what it is.

I think Gorsuch will be a great disappointment if he actually believes Roe and gay marriage are settled law. Maybe that means nothing to you. Lieberals are on board with you on that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ahhhhh, another spelling nazi. It fits you well. Might be a lieberal, too. They like to say things like stfu and then try to claim it's not what it is.
I think Gorsuch will be a great disappointment if he actually believes Roe and gay marriage are settled law. Maybe that means nothing to you. Lieberals are on board with you on that.

Yup, Old EE probably frown on "Carpet Bombing Mexican peasants' too.
....sarcasm off,
.....your quote above IS one of the stupider posts I've seen this year.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Friends don't let friends go the JeffO route. You were against Trump before you were for him. I get it.

You will not get a perfect candidate for SCOTUS, but Gorsuch is about as good as it gets. Logic dictates if we lose out on him we will get an inferior one.

I am all for protecting the unborn, but currently, Roe is the law of the land. You can be assured that if Gorsuch got a decent chance to undo it, he would. He doesn't need to thump his chest and proudly answer an unasked question though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

.....your quote above IS one of the stupider posts I've seen this year.

GTC
Amen and amen.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
This might fit in somewhere, sadly, it seems, the only politician that does not lie at sometime, is a politician that is not elected, or appointed.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
He doesn't need to thump his chest and proudly answer an unasked question though.
No, he didn't. He answered the ones that were asked in a way that likely pleased the lieberals and put conservatives on notice. But not all noticed.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Logic dictates if we lose out on him we will get an inferior one.
I don't know about that. Remember Harriet Miers? Conservatives demanded Bush withdraw that pick and try again. Of course Roberts betrayed us on Obamacare, but at least he had a record indicating strict constructionism, which Miers certainly didn't.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (160user, 16penny, 10ring1, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,866
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.