-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just avoid anything with ethanol Jeff and you'll be fine. As you know I'm in the petroleum equipment business and this ethanol push here in the midwest is pure bull$hit! The state and the ethanol board are throwing big money at these station owners and the ones that are falling for it are going to be sorry after they do.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Thanks for all the input!

BTW, I agree with you on the Ethanol Mike. The folks running that industry really know how to lobby....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
Originally Posted by kennyd

Colorado, in their wisdom has 85 octane, claiming it is equal to 87 at high altitude; I am not sure. What does Nebraska have? I know Wyoming gas is superior to Colorados.

That's correct. Many years ago I worked for an Acura dealership and all cars called for 91 octane. But I sold one to an Air Force pilot, who said he had run the calculations and that 85 octane would work great at altitude and it was unnecessary.

Our 92 Legend said to use 91 octane...but running 87 it ran fine... one really only noticed a difference if you really were trying to run it hard... the computer detuned the engine on 87... the car didn't get run hard.....

wife drove it, she got 22 mpg... I drove it and it got 28 mpg...women are harder on the gas pedal...

something else mentioned here, ( by Rocky Raab) was 85 octane fuel in Utah.... when I travel east on I 80, that is what plenty of places pump in East Nevada and across most of Wyoming... or you can buy 91 octane at a much higher price...

Going across in my Honda Pilot, I get 22 mpg around town, and 24 to 26 on the freeway.... when I have to run 85 octane, it drops down to a flat 16 mpg... and noticeably less power and responsive to the accelerator pedal.....

however, putting in some additive, that someone on the campfire mentioned a year or more ago, bounces the power and fuel mileage right back up to normal.... carried at all truck stops and most fuel station... costs me $1 to $1.25 to add to each tank...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
We run 93 octane in my wife's supercharged Audi crossover and her Porsche Boxster as recommended and they run just fine. I run the same in my '73 Cleveland powered Mach 1 and it is fine. My Tundra sees 87 octane and it is fine. All with ethanol. I will leave it at that.

Nice vehicles all - and good that the eth fuel works so well in them. But, I would be sure to keep running it through and not store or let any sit very long without a good additive - aging eth can make a mess. How is the cam/valve train on that Boxster holding up?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
My Hemi manual says for best performance run 93 or high , ans 93 with no ethanol gets about 2MPG better mileage and lots more pulling power.Ethanol sucks unless a motor was specifcally made for ethanol ,even than do not store more gas than needed cause the ethanol will gum varnish and [bleep] every thing up

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by EdM
We run 93 octane in my wife's supercharged Audi crossover and her Porsche Boxster as recommended and they run just fine. I run the same in my '73 Cleveland powered Mach 1 and it is fine. My Tundra sees 87 octane and it is fine. All with ethanol. I will leave it at that.

Nice vehicles all - and good that the eth fuel works so well in them. But, I would be sure to keep running it through and not store or let any sit very long without a good additive - aging eth can make a mess. How is the cam/valve train on that Boxster holding up?

Zero issues. It is a 2010.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Nebraska
The manual for our Lexus LX470 recommends premium gas and that's what we've always used but it's SO expensive I've considered switching to the mid-grade. Anyone know the reason(s) behind using premium vs. mid-grade unleaded and why it would be specifically recommended in the Owner's Manual? I want to take care of this vehicle (2002 w/ 106k miles) and have been hesitant to switch since but am not sure the benefits of premium gas will outweigh the cost (~$5-$7/fill/week).....

The obvious and cost effective thing is to buy the lower octane gas and add an octane booster. Last I priced it you could get an 18 gallon treatment of STP octane booster for $1.29. Around here its $0.38 a gallon more for premium gas. Do the math 18x0.38=6.84.

Ray
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
An old buddy that delivers gas to stations says to NEVER buy mid grade. He says it's a complete rip off.

Cast

I have a short attention spa
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by RaySendero
The manual for our Lexus LX470 recommends premium gas and that's what we've always used but it's SO expensive I've considered switching to the mid-grade. Anyone know the reason(s) behind using premium vs. mid-grade unleaded and why it would be specifically recommended in the Owner's Manual? I want to take care of this vehicle (2002 w/ 106k miles) and have been hesitant to switch since but am not sure the benefits of premium gas will outweigh the cost (~$5-$7/fill/week).....

The obvious and cost effective thing is to buy the lower octane gas and add an octane booster. Last I priced it you could get an 18 gallon treatment of STP octane booster for $1.29. Around here its $0.38 a gallon more for premium gas. Do the math 18x0.38=6.84.

Octane booster is a scam. When STP says it raises the octane 2 points that doesn't mean it makes 87 octane into 89.

The octane booster will turn 87 into 87.2

Last edited by Mossy; 03/26/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by medefries
Your cars computer is set to run whatever octane rating is stated in the owners manual. Put anything else in the tank and the computer will adjust out the difference. You gain nothing but a higher fuel bill. In the case of the Lexus I would expect performance to suffer as the computer will adjust fuel and spark timing to prevent pre-ignition.

Exactly, modern computer controlled engines will burn anything without damage, however the computer will detune the engine to allow it to run the lower octane fuel and your mileage will suffer. So you're really not saving anything by running lower octane fuel because you're burning more of it.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I pretty much just go with what the owners manual calls for unless it's knocking then I go higher. Most newer engines control the knocking but I was riding I a fairly new Nissan Maxima about 6 years ago and I could hear knocking every time it accelerated. I asked the driver what fuel she ran and she said whatever was cheapest. I then pulled the owners manual out and it clearly said premium only. It was definitely newer than a 2000 model and had a fairly high compression ratio V6.

I run ethanol free premium in my small engines but think it's a waste of cash in my vehicles.

Bb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
If the compression ratio and ignition advance curve are optimized for higher octane fuel, then that's what the engine wants.

I don't know when engine management systems started to incorporate knock sensors so the computer can back off the timing. Cars thus equipped will run on lower octane fuels, the system protecting them from "knock", but the performance will be compromised, particularly under heavier load like passing, hill climbing and the like.

This. My 2002 Crown Vic gets good mileage on mid grade but lacks performance. The mileage does not change with premium but when I step on the gas "stuff" happens.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Energy quotient.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
you get the most power from the LOWEST octane gasoline that you can run without pre-ignition.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Use what it calls for, save your self some grief or get a vehicle that calls for unleaded.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Altitude does affect it. Here at 4600+ feet in northern Utah, regular grade is 85. Down south in St George's 2800-foot altitude, regular is rated at 87. I'm assured it is the exact same gas.

One trick you can do is alternate grades. Refill when the tank is at half, and buy mid-grade now and premium next time. It'll save you a few bucks. Not much, but it won't harm your mileage or engine much, either.

Your gas stations only receive 2 grades of gas - premium and regular. Mid grade pulls (supposedly) equal portions from each tank for a blend.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I only buy low grade for my Chevy Malibu. Shell = 28~29 mpg. Any other brand = 31~32 mpg.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for all the input!

BTW, I agree with you on the Ethanol Mike. The folks running that industry really know how to lobby....

actually , I would suggest you try a couple of tanks of E30 , if it is available in Omaha .

that will get you a high octane rating at what should be a cheaper price

dont swallow the idea that higher ethanol blends will hurt your engine....I have been running E30 in a 2001 non flex fuel Durango for well over 100 K miles , the vehicle is nearing 220K and still runs excellent

as far as lobbying , ethanol has a good way to go to catch up with Big Oil.....

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Around here even E10 screws up the little passages on fuel injectors and lawnmower carbs. There are 2 places in all of Denver metro where you can sometimes get E0, in a gas can but not in a car. I missed both times I went out of my way to find it so the lawnmower is still on regular stuff.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Just avoid anything with ethanol Jeff and you'll be fine. As you know I'm in the petroleum equipment business and this ethanol push here in the midwest is pure bull$hit! Mike
I couldn't POSSIBLY agree more!!

I refuse to buy any gas that has ethanol in it.. Luckily, we have several stations that offer 91 octane gas w/o ethanol - and that's the ONLY gas I buy..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (Algotguns, 21, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,417 guests, and 742 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.