Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ironbender recommended this book. It is the journal of Andrew Berg. He came to Alaska as a nineteen year old immigrant of Finnish extraction. I believe he hit the Kenai Peninsula about 1889. He hunted, fished, trapped, guided, and a little prospecting. In his early days he had a gun incident and was shot in the left wrist, that made his left hand virtuously useless. The day to day journal was great. Andrew made knives from scratch and made gun parts, like a firing pin for his 22 pistol.
Andrew fought a heart condition for his last eleven years. He just laid up in one of his cabins after blacking out. The next day he was felling birch trees and used his dog to drag them to the cabin to saw up and split. He called a rick to be 6' tall, 9' long, and I believe 18" in depth.
Tough, tough men!
Now, how do you fish with a net year round. Maybe he knocked a hole in the ice and just dropped one end into the lake?

Last edited by butchlambert1; 03/26/17.
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Drill a series of small holes where you want to set the net and use a pole to shove a line in the direction of the next hole... fish it out and move it to the next hole.

Pull the net down through the hole and tug it to the end of the line of holes with the line fished along under the ice.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
or, wait for summer.... if you don't starve in the meantime!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some fish move into easier areas in the winter... and keeping a bunch of fish is easier if they can just be frozen rather than split and dried.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
another book placed on the B&N wish list!

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I guess he ate fish for breakfast every morning and some for the dog or 2 dogs. The dogs were fed a diet mainly consisting of porkie pines as he called them. Iodine was used for all ailments. sore joints, sore throat, and injury. He treated his fish nets with the sap of the willow trees. It was said that the iodine would do a better job on the nets and the willow sap was better for his aches and pains.
He was a big man in those days 6'2" and 235.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Glad you enjoyed it Butch!

I love that bench country and hope my ashes end up there one day.....far in the future! wink

Last edited by ironbender; 03/26/17.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Butch, have you ever read "North of the Sun" by Fred Hatfield? I enjoyed that one too.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ironbender, I'm glad that you recommended it to me. Kinda fills in some of the open areas of my Alaska knowledge.
kid0917, I'll have to check. I don't think that I have. I have 297 read books in my Kindle and sure don't remember them all.
I am actually close to the end of Berg's book. It seems when he has a bad case of indigestion he gives himself an enema.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
how do you fish with a net year round.

Chain saws make it really easy.

1Minute
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 1minute

I used a chainsaw in the 70s for ice fishing, but I was not fishing with a net.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A dear friend of mine used to own a cabin at Bear Creek on Tustumena Lake. He had a copy of the daily journal kept by (as I recall) Andrew Berg way back in the day. The daily trips Mr. Berg took were long and arduous - checking traps, hunting sheep, fishing, living off the land. I'm pretty sure it was Andrew Berg, but whoever wrote the daily journal was one very tough fellow. Before the Feds allowed the high bench area to be ruined that part of the Kenai above Tustumena Lake was a hunting and fishing paradise.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep. Andrew Berg.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by John_Havard
A dear friend of mine used to own a cabin at Bear Creek on Tustumena Lake. He had a copy of the daily journal kept by (as I recall) Andrew Berg way back in the day. The daily trips Mr. Berg took were long and arduous - checking traps, hunting sheep, fishing, living off the land. I'm pretty sure it was Andrew Berg, but whoever wrote the daily journal was one very tough fellow. Before the Feds allowed the high bench area to be ruined that part of the Kenai above Tustumena Lake was a hunting and fishing paradise.

Pretty neat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A couple of weeks ago some good friends were snow machining up on Tustumena and went by the Berg cabin beside Indian Creek (where I've seen 15-18# silvers running all the way through November). Here are some photos:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Spent many a night on Indian Creek. The "top" above Emma Lake is the best place on the Kenai. Sitting without moving and staring at the headwaters (Indian Ck. glacier) I have counted 28 black bear, a half dozen caribou, a moose, a sow grizz, several sheep and numerous marmot. It can be and remains a wonderful place today...
Still lots of grizzly there.

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Drill a series of small holes where you want to set the net and use a pole to shove a line in the direction of the next hole... fish it out and move it to the next hole.

Pull the net down through the hole and tug it to the end of the line of holes with the line fished along under the ice.

They do this here for shee fish - maybe some others.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
Spent many a night on Indian Creek. The "top" above Emma Lake is the best place on the Kenai. Sitting without moving and staring at the headwaters (Indian Ck. glacier) I have counted 28 black bear, a half dozen caribou, a moose, a sow grizz, several sheep and numerous marmot. It can be and remains a wonderful place today...
Still lots of grizzly there.

Got that right!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
All these pictures were taken above Emma Lake, up on top. I have some even better ones, but they are on disc at the other place. I think. I'll look photo bucket a bit.

The caribou were taken different years. All of the above pictures were on the kid's hunt. This picture is of myself and the wife, packing out the kid's caribou. Most of that 8 miles out to the boat was downhill, fortunately.... smile

A[Linked Image]

Last edited by las; 03/27/17.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by 1minute

Not in 5-6 feet of ice! But an Eskimo Brand auger with 10 inch bit does! The guy I saw doing it drilled overlapping? holes on entry, then singles the rest of the way. Might have been side to side and chipped out the web between- didn't look that closely.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
593 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 10gaugeman, 160user, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,703 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,737
Posts18,401,102
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.