Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
And when one considers that deer are the most hunted species of big game in North America, that makes sense.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
BP-B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
John , understand and agree handloaders buying more product and being maybe fickle .

But it seems to me Speer reversed that same logic with the fine bear claw bullets that I can now only find loaded by federal ?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'm not following your logic, for a couple of reasons.

The Trophy Bonded Bear Claws were originally made by Jack Carter, and eventually Federal started loading them in factory ammo. A few years later Federal started making them, and as far as I know the present, tipped version is still made by Federal, not Speer.

Plus, the Trophy Bondeds have always been known as deep-penetrating, premium bullets for game larger than deer, which is why they're priced higher.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I liked them..shrug

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I guess that may be my confusion , the .358 , 225 grain that I had used on moose were packaged by Speer . The supply I had was 10 years old or older and when looking to replace could only purchase through federal as loaded . I was told federal had told Speer to only sell as loaded ammo.

Thus my comparison .

I had always considered them to be the next level of quality in the Speer line over hot core and grand slam.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There was a lot of confusion when Federal and Speer were thrown together in the 1990's. But back then I toured the Federal factory, the Federal guys showed me some of the new Trophy Bonded bullets they said they were making, and later shipped me some Federal ammo loaded with them for testing.

Probably it was easier for Speer to distribute bullets for handloading, since Federal didn't offer any component bullets (even though they sold brass and primers, which I saw being made. Or maybe Speer actually made them--and makes the present "tipped" version of the Trophy Bonded. Though I doubt it, since Speer has never offered any plastic-tipped bullets under their brand name, despite every other major American bullet-making company offering plastic-tips--these days even Sierra.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I still have enough 160- and 175-grain Deep Curls to last me the rest of my life. But I think I'm going to go the Finn Aagaard route and just load a bunch of 154-grain Interlocks at about 2600 fps or so and be done with it. Boring, I know, but they work for anything I'm going to shoot...at least any time soon.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have some 154 grain RN Interlocks loaded in my 7x64 at that speed and they shoot great. Look right too!

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
No, they changed the Deep Curls a little, but they were made by exactly the same process as the Fusions, and worked very similarly.

Once again resurrecting a necro-thread.

If the Fusion is a redesigned Deep Curl, i.e., a Deep Curl with a boat-tail, do they (Fusions) still suffer from the squirrelly pressure issues of the Deep Curls?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I don't think it matters which bullet we use if we make a good shot.

Last edited by hanco; 05/17/17.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Except for the 46gr .224 FP, I've given up on everything Speer. I just can't seem to find what I want to try, either locally or online. I had an alert set with Midway for some .44 bullets. The notification came in the middle of the night, and by 9:00 when I checked my email, they were all gone. There are too many other good bullets available that are easy to acquire to make a careeer out of trying to get Speers.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
True. I've just seen some pulled Fusions for sale and was wondering if they have the same erratic pressure issues as the Deep Curls.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've got 200 Accubond blems coming today from SPS that I got for .$34 each, delivered, using a coupon code. Ought to just about complete my cal .30 stash. Noslers, Sierras, and Hornadys are available everywhere. Not sure what Speer's business strategy is, but the niche they seem to be trying to fill, number one maker of Unobtainium, seems like a dead end to me.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Business strategy?? You think they've ever encountered that term? 😂

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by RevMike
True. I've just seen some pulled Fusions for sale and was wondering if they have the same erratic pressure issues as the Deep Curls.

Word on the street is "yes"!

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by kraky111
Word on the street is "yes"!

That was my gut feeling. Thanks.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It's sort of a sad commentary on American businesses . Here you had a company with a pretty strong share of the reloading component market and evidently they haveenough govt contracts or demand from finished ammo that they have just let their component business erode as evidenced by some of the posts here stating they have grown tired of hunting for bullets to buy. I hate to say it but I don't care how busy you are the tine to expand and make capital investment in capacity is when the market was booming. Their cash flow should have been at its peak and their wear on their tooling would have been heavy during the shortage demand so even if their demand does level out they come out with newer tooling that's paid for and they can retire or mothball their older tooling for the next rush.sou do like there is definitely some poor business p,anning going on.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I used the Speer Grand Slam in their factory loads once upon a time. Very deadly in .308 Win on deer and elk. I loved the old TBBC loads and still have some .35 Whelen ammo. Shot some near ragged hole groups with them today until I got the coffee shakes. No opinion on the Speer Deep Curl.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Well.... @#$%&!! I've been trying to get several boxes of Fusion 375 H&H for a long time. Everybody is out. Seems like I ain't missing much. I'm going on a Australian buff cull hunt and wanted to try 4 or 5 buff out with them. Gonna do 4-5 with each other bullets like A-Frame, Accubond, etc... About 25 buff total for 2 weeks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just get the 270 grain TSX and mow em down.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
583 members (12344mag, 12308300, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,736
Posts18,401,088
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.