24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not sure if this should go somewhere else. Not reloading and figured 30-06 is about as common a hunting rifle load as there is....

I went to the range today and thought I’d finally break out my magnetospeed v3.

Put it on my M70 30-06, 24” bartlein barrel, and ran 5 rounds from a variety of factory loads through it.

Shot my standard factory round – Barnes Vor-tx 168 grain. I have had great success with this round and it is consistently accurate for me. Per the box, its 2900, what I got was an average of 2820 and a max spread of 33 fps.

Next up was DT hunter (doubletap) with the barnes 168 TSX. Interesting that the brass was marked PPU, and primers seemed different than other ammo (looked cheaper, but functioned fine). Box says 2900, my average was 2832 with a max spread of 31.

Then I shot some federal Gold Medal Match 168 grain. Sierra matchking bullet. Average speed was 2721 with a max spread of 36.

Last up was the surprise. Buffalo Bore 168 grain Barnes TSX. First shot felt different, more stout and when I looked at the magneto speed, it said 2982. About 150fps more than the doubletap or barnes. I was not shooting for accuracy, but thought I had found a real contender to the barnes, shot off two rounds that were almost touching at 100 yards. Then the strange stuff, found I could not close the bolt on one round, had to apply too much pressure to close on another round. Relative to my chamber, this ammo was about 50% good. I went back and ran rounds from the other boxes through with no problem. Weird thing. Average across the shots was 2974 with a max spread of 36.

Any other factory rounds with the 168 barnes I could try?

Elevation was about 1600 and temp was around 65.

Couple of things.

I know this is a very, very small amount of data. Not drawing any conclusions or even trying to make a point, just sharing what I saw today with my rifle.

I loved the magneto speed – adds a very fun dimension to my shooting, looking forward to trying it on other rifles and loads.

I’ve been meaning to shoot with black electrical tape over the muzzle as I’ve heard it does not affect accuracy and is a small amount of insurance when out in the field in case I stumble, rain, etc. Net was that I shot about 10 rounds with the barnes, very accurate and the the three shots with a double layer of electrical tape were in the same bunch of holes, I’m going to tape my muzzle when out in the future.

BP-B6

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
This post actually is about reloading, and how you should start reloading rather than using factory ammo. I would stay away from that very hot Buffalo Bore ammo if I were you. Do you want to have a jammed up rifle on a hunt?

You have a Bartlein barrel, so that says custom barrel job, probably with minimum headspace, which is why the Buffalo Bore ammo doesn't chamber well for you.

Another choice for bore protection in the field is finger protectors. I had some around after having a cut on my finger so I used them on my rifle barrel last deer season. They are easy to apply and remove, and therefore reuse.

Regarding the 168 grain TSX, I have had excellent results in various 30 caliber rifles using them. I loaded them for a friend's caribou hunt, and his son shot a bull caribou at about 350 yards with that ammo. He was very pleased with the performance of the bullets. For a previous caribou hunt, I loaded him 180 grain Ballistic Tips, and he said they bloodshot the entire off shoulder. He wasn't happy, so I changed to the TSXs.

My friend has two 30-06s, and both shoot the reloads I made up with 168 grain TSXs well. The load is 57 grains of IMR 4350 for about 2,750 fps. One rifle is a Remington 700 and the other is a Mauser. My Tikka Model 695 30-06 shoots them well, too.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
137 members (10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 12 invisible), 1,818 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,778
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.