Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RSY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Went to the local Bass Pro and the array of choices was dizzying and borderline nonsensical.

I don't want something too specialized, so what's a good middle-of-the-road call with the widest application?

Thanks much,
Scott

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Cane Creek makes some good calls, I like the double reed stuff. Small Talk, Dead End and CC Smoker

HS Strut Double D and Raspy Old Hen.

GooserBat makes some good calls, his Bacon is well regarded.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bearcat74 mentioned my all time favorite 90% of all the birds I've called in have come to the HS Strut Raspy Old Hen. The other 10% called in came to the Double D. Good Quality Box calls are not hard to find. I just like to keep my hands free.-Mike

A PHD Won't help you if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
RSY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks, gents. Ironically, the HS Strut is the old call I used to have that fell apart last year. Think I'll just grab a replacement.

Scott

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Scott- I buy them three at a time. Something always seems to mess them up if I am not careful and....I am not careful.-Mike

A PHD Won't help you if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
IC B2

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What are you calling? Ducks? Cow Elk ? Predators... could make a little bit of difference in the recommendation.

Ooops - That's what happens when you're trying to babysit two grand kids.

Last edited by Owl; 03/27/17.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Owl
What are you calling? Ducks? Cow Elk ? Predators... could make a little bit of difference in the recommendation.

He's in the "Turkey Hunting" forum----I'm thinking he's using it for turkeys.

I like a double reed call. I don't like any cuts in the reed. Cuts make it "raspy"----I like my yelps "clear& sweet".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I prefer batwing cuts.

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like Cane Creeks ghost cut double reed. I think it is called Lost Poult.

Brian

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mind you, I'm not a major mouth call aficionado. I use them. I use them successfully. I just don't dwell on them a lot. Part of that is that I spent several years pro-staffing for a call maker that did not make mouth calls. Part of that is that I make my own pot and box calls.

My general strategy on buying mouth calls is to wait until just after Christmas and then troll through Amazon looking for the cheapest deal on 3-4 calls. I then buy a set for myself and one for each of my sons. Usually HS Strut has the cheapest deals, but sometimes it's Quaker Boy. As a pro-staffer, I used to get premium calls thrown at me all the time, but I tried my best to beg off. I didn't want to offend anyone, and folks wanted a positive review or they'd get butt-hurt.

My #3 son, Angus, is a real maestro. He's been doing it since he could fit a call in his mouth. You hand him any mouth call, and he'll make it sound like a turkey. He convinces me that calling is in what's between the ears.

Me? I have about a half-dozen mouth calls with me at the start of season. 3-4 of them will be new. One will be a thin single reed. One or more will be a simple double reed, and the rest will be raspy pot luck. From my experience, that is what the turkeys hear and respond to. I have frequently seen them show a preference for a young hen versus an older hen or vice-versa. However, I've never seen them get ga-ga over a triple-reed V-cut vs a triple-reed Triple-Threat. My turkeys are just not that discerning.

Unless it is raining, I use a box or pot call for my heavy lifting. I can do it with mouth calls. However, I'm fairly adept at doing it with just my voice. Normally I get them riled up and coming for me before I switch to the mouth calls so I have both hands free for the shotgun.

This past weekend, I was out scouting and ran into an old nemesis, the Virginia Bandit. He was up the tree going off like crazy to nothing in particular. KY does not let you use calls in the month of March. However, I did get him to pitch down and start coming to me by scratching the leaves and working the top of my Thermos bottle that had a squeek in it. Remember that when faced with the choice of a $2 mouth call and an $8 one.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I use double some double reeds but mostly triple reeds. I prefer a ghost cut with the tension slightkytighter on the long side of the reed, I've found I can get the most range in tone and sounds from that cut

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My favorite is the HS double raspy and the single reed. Also use a Lynches box and a slate. Don't always need all of them but there isn't anything in turkey language I can't say with one of those calls.

I store my mouth calls in the refrigerator during the off season and rinse them in clean water. Tried rinsing with mouthwash but that softens the latex too quickly. I keep two of each type mouth call broken in and ready to go plus a new one in the package for when one wears out.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
RSY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just picked up a new Raspy Old Hen. This time got the "small frame" model, though. Didn't even know those existed. We'll see how it goes. I've had to trim them in the past. Be nice to not have to.

Thanks to everyone for all the recommendations.

Scott

Last edited by RSY; 03/30/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had very good success with Hook's diaphragm calls. They sound good and hold up well throughout the season.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Add another one to the list.

I bought a Cane Creek Lost Poult today and it sounds great. It's very easy to use and sounds good soft calling or really setting in on it.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hooks Heartthrob and Executioner2 are the sweetest sounding and easiest to run calls I've used

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Anything HS Strut or Quaker Boy at Walmart, preferably after turkey season!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the small version of the Sonic Dome calls, buy them on sale after the season as well. Easy to pop in just right (I don't keep them in my mouth until I intend to use them).

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

RSY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Follow-up/Range report: Not sure the "small frame" HS Strut is gonna work out for me. It is a tad difficult to position properly, and moves around too much when I am calling.

Scott

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Woodhaven Toxic orange. Listen to Scott's video and the other gentleman @ youtube! Best mouth call on planet earth!

https://youtu.be/ko6dQsYeZeg

http://m.basspro.com/Woodhaven-Custom-Calls-Toxic-Orange-Diaphragm-Turkey-Call/product/1310311721/

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Quaker Boys for me. Worked well for years.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
+1 on the Woodhavens. Little tougher for the novice but with a little practice they sound awesome. Red Wasp is my favorite

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Originally Posted by Owl

He's in the "Turkey Hunting" forum----I'm thinking he's using it for turkeys.

I like a double reed call. I don't like any cuts in the reed. Cuts make it "raspy"----I like my yelps "clear& sweet".
lol

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." -Thomas Jefferson
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Knight&Hale Peacemaker...it's not hard to use and has a little rasp to it. i have used it for 3-4 years now(had to buy another last year)and as long as you don't tear the reeds and put it in the refrigerator after season they'll last. I've also heard really good things about the woodhaven also but never have used one...

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." -Thomas Jefferson
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Everyone's mouth is different and each diaphram will fit differently. That said, if you can find a Legacy Fatal Attraction" four reed, buy it. I have used hundreds of mouth calls and this one is by far the best I have ever used.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 69 invisible), 2,190 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,139
Posts18,464,805
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.