Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
It's been years since I owned a Remington. I'm looking at a 700 BDL with a bull barrel (varmint) of some sort. Short action. I know they twist them slow. Aside form that have there been a lot of QC issues lately? They get the trigger thing figured out yet? I'm not asking about bolt handles falling off or extractors failing. This is going to be a paper puncher.

Going to sell a Mark V Deluxe in 300Wby and get something easier on the shoulder.

Liking the 700 VLS new production or another varmint variant. What's the skinny on Remington these days?

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Rem just layed off 112 employees due to 'slow sales'.. The "new" trigger is even worse than the old trigger.. The majority of M700s sent here for customization also specify tossing the trigger and installing a different one..

Oh, and if you aren't asking about bolt handles or extractors - I won't comment on bolt handles or extractors.. laugh

Quite frankly, the majority of firearms (rifles, that is) produced today are just not as good as those produced a couple decades ago..

IMHO...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Just sent one in for rebarreling and my Smith charged me another 200 to make it right before he could do the work. Said he has not seen one in a while that was square and "right" from the factory.

However they did shoot ok to begin with so if you're happy with them as is then you'd probably never know

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I have an M700 that is probably 15 years old (its remade into a semi-custom now though). It was always a quality rifle (minus the stock) and was very accurate.

I have an M700 VTR that is probably 4 years old, and the finish is not as good. After some tinkering (and also a B&C stock) it shoots pretty well.

I know lots of guys really like the 5R, but its up there a ways in price. But it comes with an HS stock. I almost think you could do a semi custom build on a lower end Remington for the same price as the 5R, and have a little more assurance it's going to be a shooter.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have purchased a half dozen or so new Remiington bolt action rifles in the past couple years (700's and Model Sevens) and they all shot MOA or less with factory ammo and functioned fine. Fit and finish was also satisfactory....A buddy just purchased a NIB Mod 700 AWR .300 Win, he's not shot it yet but it looks great....Too heavy for My taste though......Good luck.....Hb

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
In fact the last 2 I bought were so bad I added another today lol

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
When they build a lefty model 7, blind magazine, with a 3 lug bolt, I'll buy another.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
W
WvZ Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Bigfish, I used a new Remington AWR in .30-06 last fall and was impressed with the metal finish, the stock dimensions and fit, and the function. It showed more attention to detail than many 700s of late -- which have disappointed me. It's not the cheapest bolt rifle, but hardly expensive. A hard winter here has limited my range time, but it will get out for accuracy tests soon. A good rifle, in my view... WvZ

Originally Posted by bigfish9684
It's been years since I owned a Remington. I'm looking at a 700 BDL with a bull barrel (varmint) of some sort. Short action. I know they twist them slow. Aside form that have there been a lot of QC issues lately? They get the trigger thing figured out yet? I'm not asking about bolt handles falling off or extractors failing. This is going to be a paper puncher.

Going to sell a Mark V Deluxe in 300Wby and get something easier on the shoulder.

Liking the 700 VLS new production or another varmint variant. What's the skinny on Remington these days?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Wv and VaHillbilly, please keep us posted about the AWR. I've been really wanting to get one, but my previous 2 experiences with 700's have been very disappointing. Both were bought new 5-7 years ago. Fit, finish, quality, and accuracy were mediocre. I've tried countless loads, and have never found anything that would shoot less than about 1.5" in either of them (.25-06 and a 30-06). I've moved on to Tikkas, Sakos, Brownings, and Ruger Hawkeyes. All of them have been fairly easy to find sub 1" loads for. Your reports of the AWR are encouraging. I can't find one anywhere around to handle and check out, so I'd have order it. I've heard that Remington's quality has improved from that of a few years past. Input appreciated.

Originally Posted by WvZ
Bigfish, I used a new Remington AWR in .30-06 last fall and was impressed with the metal finish, the stock dimensions and fit, and the function. It showed more attention to detail than many 700s of late -- which have disappointed me. It's not the cheapest bolt rifle, but hardly expensive. A hard winter here has limited my range time, but it will get out for accuracy tests soon. A good rifle, in my view... WvZ

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I have heard quality was improving form a few years ago and this thread gives me hope. I know the bolt handle will fall off after closing the bolt a few times and the rifle firing all on its own... that will happen right before the trigger breaks in half. laugh

It's a 700 or Howa- I see Howa conveniently dropped the stainless offering and went for cerakote. Yuck. Just ain't my thing. Had a blued Howa that would rust in a matter of hours but maybe things are different now. Just looking at options for a heavy barrel .308 for punching paper. I like the look of the 700 and Howa actions. Listed a couple rifles locally so we'll see what pans out.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have heard quality was improving form a few years ago and this thread gives me hope. I know the bolt handle will fall off after closing the bolt a few times and the rifle firing all on its own... that will happen right before the trigger breaks in half. laugh

It's a 700 or Howa- I see Howa conveniently dropped the stainless offering and went for cerakote. Yuck. Just ain't my thing. Had a blued Howa that would rust in a matter of hours but maybe things are different now. Just looking at options for a heavy barrel .308 for punching paper. I like the look of the 700 and Howa actions. Listed a couple rifles locally so we'll see what pans out.

the remington 700 heavy barrel 308s are still good shooters, in my experience. mine had extractor issues at first that self-rectumfied with use. the 100 yard accuracy is better than anything else ive ever taken to the range.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I swore off Remington until a couple years ago. Then I happened across a Walmart ADL 243 on sale and used it to replace the Marlin XS7 truck gun I gave my stepson to hunt with. It shot well enough that I tried a 260 with an 8 twist when they came out. No complaints there either, so I purchased a Mtn Rifle in 7mm08. All ended up being great shooters with no issues. Of course, I cant leave any rifle alone, so they were bedded, stocks replaced (except the Mtn Rifle), trued and trigger worked before ever shot for even the first time.

No complaints for what they are.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Are they still using plastic bottom "metal" on their lower priced guns?

I have an sps tactical in 308 from maybe 2010 that had all sorts of feeding issues and the bottom "metal" cracked....the hogue stock it came in was nothing to write home about either.

I dropped it into an hs precision stock and got a new trigger guard and bottom metal and it improved. Very accurate but very dissapointing the way it came from the factory.

My only other 700 is an old adl (pre sps) in 270 with iron sights. Not sure when that gun was made, perhaps somebody will remember when the basic adl came with irons but that thing has been a great Gun for well over 10 years.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Redneck
Rem just layed off 112 employees due to 'slow sales'..

True story -- my "new" Remington rep stopped by unannounced a couple of Fridays ago. We chatted for an hour or so and he asked if I'd send him an email summarizing our conversation.

I didn't get back in the office until the following Tuesday and sent the email as promised. It was undeliverable...

Then I get an email from the "newer" Remington rep a few days later. My original new rep was eliminated in the downsizing.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You needed to send him an email summarizing his sales call?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No. He wanted me to send him historical sales figures and put product suggestions in writing. Pretty common practice...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That makes more sense.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Smoker, how about suggesting a 700 lightweight model in magnum calibers?.....Id like to see a lightweight 700 in .300 Win......Thanks Hb

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
From what I gathered, Remington knew they'd lost market share and had plans to begin corrective measures. I did hear some positive comments in the meeting and the follow up phone call from the "newer" rep.

They're still doing some soul searching though. I heard too many questions about the handguns, Magpul 700 and the 783.

We'll see what the NRA Show brings. There are always some announcements there.

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I believe Remington quality has improved greatly the last couple of years.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

486 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 53 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,929
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.