Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by msinc
Since we are going to be hunting and most animals come out right at dark......zero chance i'd pick anything Japanese. Either a Zeiss Diavari or a Leica. Zoom to 10X, maybe 12X and a 30mm tube. Easy choice, as these are the two I hunt with now...and I really have tried them all.

All? As in even March 52mm objective. Now that I brought that up I would sure like to give one a go to see how it compares with my Bushnell.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Since we are going to be hunting and most animals come out right at dark......zero chance i'd pick anything Japanese. Either a Zeiss Diavari or a Leica. Zoom to 10X, maybe 12X and a 30mm tube. Easy choice, as these are the two I hunt with now...and I really have tried them all.

It's an easy choice until you figure out that lots of Euro reticles suck in low light (too thin IME). The greatest glass in the world is useless with an unusable reticle.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Suppose someone would buy you any scope available for a walk around hunting rifle,whitetails to moose,shots from 10 to 500 yards,what would you pick?

The only stipulation is that whatever you choose,you can't sell it and buy something else with money left over. You have to use your choice for at least the next 5 years for all your walk around-hiking-backpacking hunting.

Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 w/ MOAR, Hi-Speed turret, ZeroStop.

And I'd be GTG well past 500, too. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'd go with a used Tasco World Class Plus.....

Just Kidding

Two on my wish list are Nightforce and Leica. Keep hearing good things about Nightforce and have had excellent service/use from my Leica bino's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by driggy
I'd go with a used Tasco World Class Plus.....

Just Kidding

Two on my wish list are Nightforce and Leica. Keep hearing good things about Nightforce and have had excellent service/use from my Leica bino's.

In the past I offered to buy one for those who claim Tascos are no good, but have not used one. I think they used to be the best optics value on the market as long as you get the World Class. I never had one fail and yet had a Swarovski z5 erector fail two years in a row. Of course it was repaired free, but that does not help on a hunt. I would choose a World Class over a z5. Maybe the z6 is better.

Everyday Hunter
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had a fixed 24 power one and had no issues. Just saying, if someone was to give you anything you wanted, would you really get a $100 Tasco? To me, that's the time to get something you normally can't get.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
R_H_Clark: The answer to your question is = a Leupold 4.5x14x40mm with adjustable objective, matte finish and fine Du-Plex.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider

It's an easy choice until you figure out that lots of Euro reticles suck in low light (too thin IME). The greatest glass in the world is useless with an unusable reticle.

What is unusable about a lit reticle????? All my scopes have one, but I still haven't seen any "unusable" reticles in euro scopes yet. Rarely do I turn mine on. Then again, I could be the one that is lucky enough to have better eyesight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a fixed 24 power one and had no issues. Just saying, if someone was to give you anything you wanted, would you really get a $100 Tasco? To me, that's the time to get something you normally can't get.

Only between those two would I go with the World Class.

There is only one scope I know that would be in the running against the 6500 4 1/2-30X50. That would be the 2.5 - 25 x 52mm because it is only two ounces heavier than the 6500. IF the glass is as good as the Schmidt and Bender then its 25X would probably allow me to see the same detail on 25X with it I could see on 30X with the 6500. Most likely it would last longer in low light.

Everyday Hunter
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Barska all the way!

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Ringman

Only between those two would I go with the World Class.

There is only one scope I know that would be in the running against the 6500 4 1/2-30X50. That would be the 2.5 - 25 x 52mm because it is only two ounces heavier than the 6500. IF the glass is as good as the Schmidt and Bender then its 25X would probably allow me to see the same detail on 25X with it I could see on 30X with the 6500. Most likely it would last longer in low light.

Have you ever heard of binoculars or a spotting scope? It's really goofy you think you need a 30x scope to go shoot a deer. You ever look around through threads or whatever and notice all the trophies killed with 6x to 10x scopes?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I can understand the NF NXS and the S&B but I find it hard to believe the cheap Leupolds,Bushnells,and Weavers are the best scopes in the world for a walk around rifle.

Why? For a 500 yard rifle that you want to walk around and hunt with, I'd dare say that there is no big game animal that you will get with a NF or SB that you couldn't shoot with a Leupie 6x.

Have you encountered situations where you needed the higher-price glass in order to actually harvest game out to 500 yards?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DD,

I think the gist of the OP is if someone is buying you a new car gratis and money is no issue, it might be ridiculously pragmatic to pick the Chevy Malibu when the Corvette or Porsche is an option. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
NF NXS 2x10x42 mil,mil

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by SKane
DD,

I think the gist of the OP is if someone is buying you a new car gratis and money is no issue, it might be ridiculously pragmatic to pick the Chevy Malibu when the Corvette or Porsche is an option. smile

Well said good example.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Have you ever heard of binoculars or a spotting scope? It's really goofy you think you need a 30x scope to go shoot a deer. You ever look around through threads or whatever and notice all the trophies killed with 6x to 10x scopes?

A couple years ago I decided to "trophy" hunt for deer. I decided I wanted a blacktail with antlers wider and taller than the ears with four points on each side. I got out early. There was heavy cloud cover and a mist that first morning. After using my b]BINOCULARS[/b] for a few minutes I found a buck. It was the third or forth place I glassed. I could see the horns were wider than the ears and pretty tall. BUT I couldn't tell if it had four points on both sides. I let the binos go back to my chest and brought up the scope that was set on 5X. I couldn't tell it had five point on both side till it was on 12X.

Then I went to another state. Since I had the "trophy" I was meat hunting. Again I found a deer while using the BINOCULARS. As I was walking to the place I was going to set up my 15X58 binoculars on a tripod a buck came in to view from somewhere. It was a three point on one side area. I could horns, but couldn't tell if it was legal or not. Up came the scope. Again I could not tell it had three points on one side until it was on 12X again. By the time I discovered it was legal I didn't get a shot. It disappeared into a canyon. Later I found one while glassing. But again I couldn't tell if it was legal or not. I put the scope on it and could not tell it had three points until the scope was all the way up to 25X. I was able to get that one.

You see, I don't need a spotting scope since I can check animals I found with the binos because I have a scope adequate for my application. By the way, I almost didn't get to kill the "trophy". If the "trophy" had one more second it would have disappeared into the forest. As it was, it still disappeared at the shot but was lethally hit in front of the right rear ham with the exit right behind the left shoulder. No time for a spotting scope; but time to verify with the rifle scope.

Another one for you. A friend of mine went on a mountain goat hunt with another friend. The guy had 7X binoculars. They found some goats. My buddy got on them with his 6 1/2-20X scope. The other guy watched them for awhile and decided which one he wanted. He put down his binocs and picked up the rifle with a FIXED 4X. Got on the goat and fired. Instantly my buddy cried out, "Why'd you shoot that one?" "It's the one I want," he retorted. "Whadda ya mean? The one you want went over to the left. The one you just killed came out from behind that rock!" In this case and the "trophy" deer case a spotting scope would have been worthless.

This buddy hunts a lot. He used to think like you. Once he found an elk in the timber as he was walking along. He couldn't make out antlers through the timber so brought up his binoculars. It was legal. By the time he got his rifle up he didn't have a shot. Now while walking through the woods while hunting and sees game he verifies the antlers with his rifle scope.

But, hey what do I know? Carry on in all your experience.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

See post above.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
DD,

Well said good example.

Good response.

Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
R_H_Clark: The answer to your question is = a Leupold 4.5x14x40mm with adjustable objective, matte finish and fine Du-Plex.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I respectfully disagree.....if my rich uncle were buying , a Leupy 4x14x40 would be the last scope on my want list, and not because I have one!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Mine is the one I have now. A Schmidt & Bender 3-12X40 w/#4 reticle. I've had it going on 16 years now and if I had a chance to buy whatever I wanted again...I'd buy another one. Some guys will dream of a certain scope all of their lives but keep on buying cheaper stuff. You younger guys take heed and buy that dream scope while your young, so you can enjoy it. powdr

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (10Glocks, 257 mag, 44mc, 300jimmy, 41rem, 14 invisible), 1,235 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,454
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.