Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#11876445 03/05/17
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Think I need to stimulate the economy, specifically David Hallorans...

Like the idea of crystal, don't have that type yet, but what type of material is it, glass?

Who's using a crystal call, Good sound? low maintenance?

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Think I need to stimulate the economy, specifically David Hallorans...

Like the idea of crystal, don't have that type yet, but what type of material is it, glass?

Who's using a crystal call, Good sound? low maintenance?

It's glass. I've used them. I've made them. You take a round piece of glass and sand it with 200 grit. Some days it works. Some days it doesn't. Of all the calls, the glass ones and the metal ones (coppper and aluminum) are the least affected by rain. The glass ones can be driven harder and louder, such that I can always tell when one of the neighbors are using a glass call. They have tremendous reach.

Of all the pot calls I make and use, my best producer has been a slate over glass. First I glue a metal washer to the bottom of the base to act as a stand-off. Then I glue a plate of glass to the washer. Then I glue a slate over the top such that there's an air-gap. The glass adds an extra quality to the call that drives the gobblers nuts mid-morning. Several of my post-10AM gobblers have fallen to this type of call. In fact, I've gotten all ready to leave and let off one last run with the slate over glass and had to sit back down.

Maintenance on a crystal is the same as all the other pot calls: a piece of Scotch-Brite back and forth in one direction. If it got really out of shape, 200 grit sandpaper would bring it back to factory-fresh.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have a Primos crystal and it makes a sweet sound. But, it's touchy. It has to be scuffed up fairly often. Even tiny hint of moisture on your striker or call and it won't work.

Camp is where you make it.
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T, you talking about the Primos power crystal?

If so I have that one,

Commercially made Chinese plexiglass,

my least favorite call, more temperamental than a teenage chick.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have the Crystal Mistress from David Halloran. It is the best sounding pot call I have ever heard!

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I have the Metal Mouth, Twisted sister and Crystal Mistress.....all of them talk turkey and IS death to that OleTom!!! #glass

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Woodhaven Cherry Classic for me and many Gobblers. Great long range pot call! Still prefer slate in close or calling to roost.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you specifically want a crystal call, check out John Sinclair Custom Calls, his Cherry and Paduak Ping calls are outstanding , well all of his calls are actually.

I ran a Twisted Sister and Crystal Mistress for several years and can't say a bad thing about either. Johns call just have a different ring and are far more appealing to the eye if you like that kind of thing.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Glass is great when it's dry, horrible when moist even with carbon.

It gives a much higher pitch than slate, very similar to aluminum. Of course the striker is key.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
David Halloran says,

"Yes Crystal is a glass like surface but a different material than glass."

there it is, clear as mud.

No matter, A Crystal Mistress, a Double glass and a purple heart/cedar boxcall are on the way.

It's about to get real.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
T, you talking about the Primos power crystal?

If so I have that one,

Commercially made Chinese plexiglass,

my least favorite call, more temperamental than a teenage chick.

Yeah, that's the one. I do like the sound it makes when it works. But you're right about the chick.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

No matter, A Crystal Mistress, a Double glass and a purple heart/cedar boxcall are on the way.

It's about to get real.

Lol. get after it!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Kenneth, how do you like them?

Brian

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The Crystal mistress sings, I like it alot, great sound and what appears to be low maintenance. Leagues above the Primos power junk mentioned above.

The Double glass is nice, not too unlike other Glass calls, A lower pitch than the Mistress.

The box call is classy, good looking with detail, I need to spend more time with the box call, but it definitely has a nice high to low raspy sound to it.

In about 10 days, it's Go time.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
234 members (257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 35 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.