Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by las
Screw that - head shooting a sitting bird with a shotgun is the way to go.... KISS. smile

If it is good enough for turkey hunters, it's damned well good enough for grouse!

Once "head shot" a ptarmigan at about 15 feet with the scope-sighted '06 while sheep hunting. Forgot the scope is a mite higher than the bore.

Wound up with the head and the back skin all the way back to a single leg, plus a smear on the rocks.

You and Randy are a pair to draw from make no mistake 😉

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
Originally Posted by las
Screw that - head shooting a sitting bird with a shotgun is the way to go.... KISS. smile

If it is good enough for turkey hunters, it's damned well good enough for grouse!

Once "head shot" a ptarmigan at about 15 feet with the scope-sighted '06 while sheep hunting. Forgot the scope is a mite higher than the bore.

Wound up with the head and the back skin all the way back to a single leg, plus a smear on the rocks.

You and Randy are a pair to draw from make no mistake 😉

That would be a pair that beats three of a kind...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I once head shot a ptarmigan with a 10/22. Wouldn't have been as noteworthy if I hadn't been saddled with a pack containing two hindquarters and a side of ribs off a big bull caribou and the bird wasn't flying.

He stepped out of the brush about ten yards in front of me and stood up on a tussock. I couldn't get the stock to my shoulder due to the padded packstrap and whiffed the gimme shot as he stood there. Swung and touched off a second round as he flushed at which point he folded. Upon inspection he had a hole exactly through both eyes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lol no I never mastered that shot. but will say I was quite surprised when I first went grouse hunting, found some birds and damn near had to kick them to get them to fly off the road. They seemed big as a basketball.

took a spell for awhile where I did hunt them with a ruger redhawk in .44 mag. with #9 shotshells.

that was more funner.

I've uh got over not shooting them on the ground or a tree with a .22, tis my fave now, head shot bird makes for good eating.

btw how was that skin? yummy?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (257 roberts, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 16 invisible), 2,035 guests, and 839 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,699
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.