Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#11927411 03/26/17
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My 2003 Honda Rancher has been doing this for a while and I can find nothing on the net about fixing it. At times when you try to start it will start normal, but other times it just clicks once and it sounds behind me, but I do not hear good. You can pull the start rope and change where the piston is, and it will start as it should. At times there is so much compression that you can barely pull the rope. It will try to kick back and jerk the handle out of your hand. I am thinking timing, but can find nothing about advancing or retarding the spark. Timing gears/chain/belt or something else? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A clicking noise is usually from a battery to weak to drive the starter motor. Check your battery connections. And consider replacing your battery if more than a few years old.

Last edited by MikeL2; 03/26/17.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
New battery. Like I said, if you move the piston a little, it will spin it from a dead stop. I think it is sparking before the piston gets to the top, and tries to force it backwards. Seems to be where the piston stops when it is killed that matters. If it is close to the top, on the way up it will not turn over, but if not it will spin and start. Anyway that is the way I see it. miles

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Bad starter. It's got a a "dead spot" on the armature and when it lines up at the right position it won't engage. Mine was doing it and a new (used off of ebay for $30) fixed it.

Whatever you do don't go trying to adjust the timing, it'll screw it all up. The timing is electronic and can't be adjusted.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I think it is sparking before the piston gets to the top, and tries to force it backwards.
All engines do that. Setting the timing is what controls how far before the top it fires, measured in degrees before top dead center in the rotation of the drive shaft. It's possible that something slipped and it's firing even earlier.
Does yours have a compression release for use when using the pull rope? I had a Kaw that had one. Just flip a lever and it released the compression so you could get it moving without jerking your arm off. It was like the kick start bikes.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bad starter. It's got a a "dead spot" on the armature and when it lines up at the right position it won't engage.

Assuming this is correct, How does pulling the starter rope move the Armature? The gear should not be engaged. miles

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If valves have never been adjusted it could not hurt. I would start here. Also at this time check for a sticking valve or a non-operational compression release if yours has one. Typically runs off the cam.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by milespatton
Bad starter. It's got a a "dead spot" on the armature and when it lines up at the right position it won't engage.

Assuming this is correct, How does pulling the starter rope move the Armature? The gear should not be engaged. miles

The click you hear is the bendix engaging the starter gear, so yes, it is staying engaged. Turning the engine over manually will rotate the starter armature slightly as it disengages. My money is on the starter.

Last edited by badger; 03/26/17.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by badger

The click you hear is the bendix engaging the starter gear, so yes, it is staying engaged. Turning the engine over manually will rotate the starter armature slightly as it disengages. My money is on the starter.

Rereading this it seems likely to me that Crow Hunter and Badger are correct especially considering the click. I will say, that out of adjustment valves as I mentioned previously, can contribute to premature starter failure by making it work harder. So if a replacement starter does in fact fix your problem, I would still check the valve settings.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brushes on Honda starters are easily replaced. They are kind of a standard maintenance item in the villages of Alaska. They come as two separately packaged brushes. (They are different.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks all for you input. I will start with the starter and progress from there. miles

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
check brushes as suggested .

Ed

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks all for you input. I will start with the starter and progress from there. miles
Let us know what you find out.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It may be a while as I have other things going on, and it is still usable. miles

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
nothing like a good break-down to change priorities...

W
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Captain
If valves have never been adjusted it could not hurt. I would start here. Also at this time check for a sticking valve or a non-operational compression release if yours has one. Typically runs off the cam.

My money is on one of these two. I bet if you pull the plug , it spins right over.

I have seen more wasted money on new batteries and starters on these small engines than Heinz has pickles.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

613 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,276
Posts18,448,425
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.