Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image]

This ain't big pigs, bunch of pigs

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The biggest pig taken this year at the Campfire Hog Hunt weighed 190 lbs, out of 60 pigs taken.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I hunt all around that area. That is a very good pig. As you can see, even though you all had rain, it's a pretty dry area. Pigs have to hustle to get very big. Too bad you weighed it. If you hadn't, it would have been close to 300lbs. Captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think for a commercial hunting area he was lucky to get that big. He was not a young boar, as evidenced by his cutters

[Linked Image]

At my deer lease there is a sow who is pretty smart and constantly moves around, never going to the same feeder twice, and never going into traps. She's had several litters in the past 5 years and the landowners are eager to see her dead. Just guessing she's now well over 200 lbs.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Weight of any animal is a funny thing. Many years ago, some friends and I won a King Mackerel tournament with a fish that weighed 39.7. Just after we took it off the scales, two guys drove up and asked what was in the lead. When told, they started high fiving and grinning, said they had a 50 lber in their cooler. The fish they pulled out would have been lucky to be 25 lbs, guy running the tournament laughed them away from the scale, refused to even weigh it. Next weekend we got one that WEIGHED 48, after being on ice over 6 hours. Before heading in to weigh it, I spoke to a friend on the radio, told him we had one bigger than the fish that had won the tourney the week before. Some clown came on the radio, asked how much the one in the tournament weighed. When I told him, he started chuckling, said "they" had caught one over 60 lbs recently, but of course never weighed it. My response was, well, my 39.7 won us $10,000 dollars, how much was yours worth?

No more comments from him.

Somebody ion here pretty much nailed it, said he used to kill a lot of hogs over 300 pounds, but then he got a good scale, and hadn't killed one over 200 since!

Mike

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by captdavid
I hunt all around that area. That is a very good pig. As you can see, even though you all had rain, it's a pretty dry area. Pigs have to hustle to get very big. Too bad you weighed it. If you hadn't, it would have been close to 300lbs. Captdavid

100%!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Prolly none of the above would break 175 lbs-----------on a scale.

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 03/28/17.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

GWB, you obviously know not of what you speak!

My friends and have killed many that size and we didn't even have to weigh them to know that the weigh at least 250-300 pounds!!!!
:):) captdavid :):)

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
Most people vastly overestimate the size of pigs.

Last 3 hogs i've shot were 150-175 lbs. When I sent my buddy a picture of them, he thought they are 250 lbs.

He shot one 25years ago and the guide told him it was 225 lbs but his scale was broken. Over 25 years he's become a 300 pounder. I think he was actually about 200 lbs.

I've never killed one over 300 in the wild that were wild. Very few over 200

Last edited by rickmenefee; 03/28/17.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not disagreeing with anyone here that the average pig is likely in the 100-200lb range. There are some big ones running around, though, especially in the agriculturally intensive areas in the South. Peanut farmers seem to have more than their fair share of big hogs on their properties, no doubt a result of their diet. How much domestic swine is bred into these pigs, I don't know. I do know that in Georgia, pigs can vary tremendously in their appearance, some having the classic razorback, big forequarters, long snouts, other looking just like a domestic pig and varying colors. The latter tend to be the bigger ones, in my experience.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by hanco
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Small one is 450, bigger one is over 600. Centerville Texas

Now thats what i was talking about. Good job.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image][/URL]

Guess his weight.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by haverluk
[Linked Image]

I took this one is Sweden in June of 2013.

Matt,

What did he weight, or what weight estimate do you have?

Tell us about hog hunting in Sweden.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mohawk,

What's the height to the bottom of the feeder?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
You want 7' if there is cows around. You best have it tied down well if there are cows or pigs. They learn if they bump it, corn will come out. Hanging feeder is best. They hit legs, it won't make corn come out. I like to pull them up from a tree limb. I put wench on tree, cable goes up to limb with pulley. My son in law hunts where they have black bears. Hanging feeders only way to keep a bear from jacking feeder up.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by haverluk
[Linked Image]

I took this one is Sweden in June of 2013.

Matt,

What did he weight, or what weight estimate do you have?

Tell us about hog hunting in Sweden.

DF
I was able to hunt three different styles in Sweden:

The first is over bait in the forest. This is mostly in the winter and in the dark. It is dark for upwards of 20 hours a day mid-winter. The snow aids in viewing them as it make it much brighter. When the ground freezes hard and there is too much snow and ice for the boars to get much food. They really depend on these bait sites to get them through the hard times in the winter. The hunter generally sits in an elevated blind.

The second is driven hunt. This is a catch all using beaters and dogs to push game to pre positioned hunters. Europeans have this technique down to a science. This is how much of the moose, boar and deer are harvested every year. Really fast shooting and the Swedes are pros at it. There is a learning curve but I grew up water fowling so I got the hang of it pretty fast.

The third is still-hunting fields. This is early in the morning and late in the evening as the light permits. In the late spring and summer you can spot and engage game for almost 22 hours a day. The boars will come out into the fields and make quite a mess of things. You can also catch them out in the snow covered fields at night in the winter but it is hard to make shots at distance in the dark.

I took this boar using the third technique. I made my way to the far end of a very large hayfield that was just starting to come up for the year. Found a rock pile on the edge that gave me a wind I needed and sat. This boar was shot at 0330 in June. Notice that the sun is up. The photo was taken where he fell at around 0415. He fell at the shot as the angle I had put the exit in the CNS. He weighed in at 280 pounds dressed, skinned and trimmed IIRC. I don't know the live weight but I am 6'6" and 250 pounds for reference. We used a tractor to get him out. He scored CIC silver. A lot of luck and some really great Swedish friends brought it together for me. I had a many great hunts in Sweden and this one is one of my most memorable.

Would you believe my wife didn't want me to get a shoulder mount done to hang in the bedroom? I tried to tell her that it was a once in a lifetime boar but she was having none of it. I had a small tasteful mount done with the tusks and she like that much better.

Semper Fi

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, don't believe my wife would want that monster hanging in her bedroom either... laugh

Your current location is a good jumping off point for some unusual adventures.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/29/17.
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Yeah, don't believe my wife would want that monster handing in her bedroom either... laugh

Your current location is a good jumping off point for some unusual adventures.

DF
Yeah, I am planning to go back to Romania this fall with the same Swedish friend that made that boar happen and hunt with my friend Horia of Unforgettable Hunting for roe deer and boars. Romania has some monstrous pigs. You are more than welcome to join us.

Semper Fi

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by badger
Not disagreeing with anyone here that the average pig is likely in the 100-200lb range. There are some big ones running around, though, especially in the agriculturally intensive areas in the South. Peanut farmers seem to have more than their fair share of big hogs on their properties, no doubt a result of their diet. How much domestic swine is bred into these pigs, I don't know. I do know that in Georgia, pigs can vary tremendously in their appearance, some having the classic razorback, big forequarters, long snouts, other looking just like a domestic pig and varying colors. The latter tend to be the bigger ones, in my experience.

I'm working soybean, peanut and corn patches. The damage is truly unbelievable. 3rd generation start growing the longer snout. Brucellosis, Tuberculosis, Pseudorabies are all in Oklahoma from the hogs.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
Originally Posted by badger

I'm working soybean, peanut and corn patches. The damage is truly unbelievable. 3rd generation start growing the longer snout. Brucellosis, Tuberculosis, Pseudorabies are all in Oklahoma from the hogs.

Yep.

I gave up eating them, but not shooting them.

DF

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'd rather hunt hoglets than just about anything.

There are undoubtedly hogs in the hill country that weigh in over 300 lbs, but seeing them and getting a shot at them is a rarity.

[Linked Image]

a fair size one that was weighed but I do not remember the weight.

[Linked Image]

IIRC this one was weighed at +/- 275 lbs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

another that weighed in @ +/_ 275 lbs.

[Linked Image]

I've been hunting the Texas Hill country 45 to 60 + days a year since 1999. This is the only pig I've weighed that was over 300 lbs. IIRC, this one weighed 315 lbs.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 03/29/17.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,079
Posts18,463,865
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.