24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
OP Offline
O
I am new to custom rifles and I recently picked up a custom Mauser. I have a few Oberndorf and Suhl sporting Mausers but this is my first custom rifle.

This particular rifle in .338 Win Mag is made in Australia by D.J. Swann and engraved by Phil J Vinnicombe.

After reading thru this forum I think this is what is referred to as a full custom. I would like to build something very similar/pair in 30-06 for deer & smaller game and am wondering how to go about it.

How can I know what Mauser is this (VZ24, 1909 etc.) so I can source the action for the build. I am thinking getting matching wood and get someone to make a stock exactly like this.

Any suggestion/recommendation for the build, gunsmith(US/Canada) and approximate total cost from the experienced members here will be very helpful.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks

Last edited by oberndorf; 03/23/17.
BP-B2

O
OP Offline
O
Some more pics...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

O
OP Offline
O
Stock style and wood that I would like to duplicate....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think starting with a M70 will cheaper than a M98 but I would like to stick with an M98 action and if possible the same model as this rifle.

thanks

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow, that's a gorgeous rifle!

Reproducing that in a 30-06 will run you $40k+ USD, if you're lucky.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very beautiful rifle.

I'd sure give Duane Wiebe a call, along with Darcy Echols, Gene Simillion and Mark Penrod. I've seen rifles they have built and they were beautiful.

Semper Fi
IC B2

O
OP Offline
O
Glad you folks like the rifle. Thank you very much for the info.

Is there any easy way to identify the original action?

I have a few others I can compare to or measure like these,not a full custom but made by H. Barella in 9.3x62(top rifle)...also sharing some pics for folks who like these old Mausers.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by oberndorf; 03/24/17.
O
OP Offline
O
few more pics...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oberndorf,
Beautiful rifles you have. Thanks for sharing, I really enjoy seeing them.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Very nice rifles.

Between this thread and the classic rifles thread in the hunting rifles sub forum it has been a good week for walnut and blue pictures.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Oberndorf,

I have zero idea what action your original rifle was built upon. However, I do appreciate your time to post the pictures of your beautiful custom rifles.

Thank you !

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Although I am far from expert, I believe the marking on the barrel rib is probably the same maker, Mauser works in Suhl, Germany. Suhl was a contractor for GEW 98's of WWI vintage and also 98k's of WWII vintage. Both are standard large ring model 98's. I would venture a guess that your's is pre WWII. Suhl probably used their own action for the rifle build; just a common large ring model 98. But as I said I am far from expert.

Any good German made large ring, model 98 action could be used on the build, military or commercial. It has a thumb cut so most any military LR 98 action would appear the same and be dimensionally the same. Gew 98, 98K, VZ-24, M1909 would fill the bill as would a very early FN commercial as long as it had the thumb cut.

The gun is most likely built from a German made LR 98 as well.
The markings are removed so no idea what it was originally. They may have used a VZ-24 action as it has a lot of later features than the Suhl.

Last edited by sbrmike; 03/24/17.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
If you remove the stock there may be some proof stamping to the bottom of the action. A Mauser expert may be able to identify the origins from those but it might be a long shot.
You could also try contacting DJ Swann, he may remember or have records on which action he used.

Last edited by FRST; 03/25/17.
O
OP Offline
O
I have been told that DJ Swann is now retired or even passed away. A member on another forum provided me with the contact number but I have so far not been able to contact him. His family / children are the official dealers for Winchester in Australia from Winchester Australia website.

Looks like as long as it is a LR 98 action, it should be the same, some of them are better than the others like the VZ24 & 1909. Once the gunsmith works their magic they should all be the same.

Some pictures of the bottom Mauser in the earlier pic for the Mauser fans here.....

Its a V. Christopher Schilling sporter in the rare 10.75x63 Mauser, bore dia is the same as the 10.75x68 & 404J.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by oberndorf; 03/25/17.
O
OP Offline
O
Few more...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
You derailed your own thread by showing the pictures of the other (admittedly fine) rifles.

If you want more guidance on the custom project, you will need to send some more photos of the action itself. I assume it is just the common large ring M98, but can't tell much more than that.

The trickiest part of making a matching gun will be coming up with similar wood. Since you believe the gun was made in Australia, then going with New Zealand wood would make sense. I would send some photos of the stock to Roger Vardy, and ask him about a blank that is similar. You need to know that you are going to be looking about $1000 AUD for a stock that has as much going on as the one you have. ( I looked super quickly through his exhibition grade stocks, and one--SR479--looked similar to yours. It is priced at 1100 AUD.) He has a very large inventory, and would be most likely to have something similar. Then I would think about going to the custom gunmakers guild show next year (it is in February, so you have time to build your gun fund up.) Find one of the younger makers whose prices are lower and waiting list shorter. I'll bet you can find someone whose style is similar to the gun you are trying to duplicate, and they will be most likely be able to match it.

Then I might have an engraver recommendation when the time is right..

I am not sure I would try to exactly match it, however. I would think hard about substituting Jerry Fisher round bottom bottom metal for the conventional flat bottom metal. It would give the gun a trimmer/livelier feel.

Your original post also asked for a guess on the cost. My guess is in the middle-teens, depending on the name of the builder. Somebody like Miller or Echols could be 3x that amount and I don't think they would be interested in matching someone else's style. In looking at the pictures again, I might easily be low--I see at least $5k in engraving and gold inlay there (those gold lines drive the price up quickly.)

O
OP Offline
O
Thank you Utah708 for all the valuable information and help. Really appreciate the suggestion about the guild show in Feb. I am sure I will also a learn a lot about custom gun making if I can make it to the show.

I spent some time browsing Roger Vardy's website and he has an impressive collection of blanks. SR479 is very nice.

Hindsight I should not have posted the pics of the other guns, seemed like a good idea at time as some folks love these old guns.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
We love seeing the guns--that is why we are here. I just thought I would pull our focus back to your original questions.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Wow man that .338 Win of yours is STUNNING!

Great find!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have had several guns built on the 1909 Argentine Mauser action and one using a VZ24 action. You can do a search for a stalking rifle in 275 Rigby to see that one which was done on the VZ24. I found the action through the Accurate Reloading forum, the blank came from Cecil Fredi in Vegas, the bottom metal was engraved by JJ Roberts in VA. This can all be accomplished for well under $10K.

I don't know if you'll be able to find another action exactly like the one you have but either the 1909 or VZ4 is a good start.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
725 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 3,178 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,745
Posts18,401,279
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.