Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I'll stick with my .260.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by las
I'll stick with my .260.

Me too, I got one when they were first announced and have never regretted it. Had the 6.5 Creedmoor come out first I would have felt the same way, but I'm happy with the 260 Rem.

Gerry.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Is the 6.5 Creedmoor enough gun?

Hint.

Girly pics........

The best thing I can see coming out of this.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I built a 6BR and 6.5-308 in '96 - after having a few 1896 rifles two years earlier.

Then the 260, BR, and Swede caught on in America. Now the CMs are gaining traction. Nothing wrong with the oldest of the bunch. Flattery is the greatest compliment. Designed in 1891. Took 116 years to re-package the Swede and get the major arms and ammo mfg to support it. Something Big Green dropped the ball on. Not really that complicated - a formula for success. Good guns. Proper twist. Good affordable ammo. And yes the momentum seems to be heading towards boredom. But that's ok as like the 308, it's a no fuss get the job done tool. Less recoil and report. Not bad. Modern pressure ammo for all CM firearms. No weak links. That did not happen with the 260, or 6BR, 22BR, or the 7BR.
The 260, 22 & 6 BR could have sold real well in factory rifles IF they had been marketed right. Even the 6.5 Grendel is doing well wink

The ultimate answer for 90% of NA hunters can be found in the smaller yet BR case. It won't ever be as cool because it's not "Manly" enough for many guys. The 6BR and 6.5BR is enough for the bulk of deer, hog, and varmint shooting that gets done (under 400 yards).

The Creedmoor is here to stay and helped bring awareness to the 6.5mm for many non-looney Americans. For handloaders the 260 fans enjoy endless variety of brass at half the cost.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I think the success of the 6.5 Creedmoor has a lot to do with timing. I'm probably like most hunters my age, I started hunting as a teen in the 1970's. I listened to the advice of older hunters and was sold on 30-06 for most of my hunting career. Nothing wrong with 30-06, but as I've grown older I've come to realize it is simply a lot more gun than I really needed.

Over the last few years I've become convinced that smaller works just as well. I think that a lot of other hunters are figuring out the same and are ready to try something smaller. I remember reading Jim Carmichael praising the 260 years ago, but at the time wasn't buying it. I was wrong just like a lot of others.

To those guys who have been using the 260 and 6.5X55 all along all I can do is tip my hat and admit you were smarter than the rest of us. If I already owned one of those I can see not wanting to change. But as a new 6.5 buyer I think the Creedmoor offers enough advantages to be the obvious choice for me.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think a lot of CM success is due to target shooters, long bullets and short actions.

Hunters often follow in the wake of the target shooting industry, always looking for a better round.

DF

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I think a lot of CM success is due to target shooters, long bullets and short actions.

Hunters often follow in the wake of the target shooting industry, always looking for a better round.

DF

I think the "success" of the Creedmoor, is from guys who can't find a decent rifle in a 260..... yeah, that's gotta be it.. whistle

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'm sure there are good .260's out there... laugh

I really like my CM. As a Loony/reloader, I find it one of the most forgiving rounds ever; it shoots just about everything either very good or great.

Mine is throated such that even the longest bullets will work in the 2.8" mag. Factory ammo actually touched the lands. For hunting use, I set those rounds back just a hair so they would chamber without touching.

The way it's chambered may have something to do with how well it shoots so many combos. It's a vintage 700 with #2 Shilen SS 24" barrel.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DF, had 2 built on Borden Alpine actions = using Lapua/H4350/130VLD I was getting .5 groups at 200 yds, 3 shots, using an 8x scope. Nothing wrong with 260s using quality brass, loads, in a good rifle. They will shoot better than most can ever hold, especially off the bench wink

I believe the CM will equal and can better it - with proper brass, loads, and gear/shooter. I alwso believe the 47 Lapua will beat them all, in a pure accuracy race, and that is what I am running now. Having owned several 6.5s, in all the above rounds.

The 55 has never failed to deliver wink Even a #1 Ruger I had shot 3 in 1.1" at 200 using a 6x with #4 reticle, that had a heavier center wire than a duplex or WD.

I will say, when using handloads QUALITY Brass is where it begins. If one uses less than good brass, they will fail to realize the potential in any of the rounds, and a shooter might be disappointed, depending on their expectations and results.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think the .260 in a 3" action would be ideal, no issues with long bullets, etc.

If stuck with a 2.8" SA, I'd choose the CM.

IMO, it was(is) the SA that fueled the CM phenominon.

FG

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
No matter the action length,I'd always prefer a Kreedmire,due it's mechanical advantages. It boasts the best brass on the Planet and equals 260 case capacity/performance,in a better wrapper. The ONLY way boolits can get any better,is to get longer. Pass the COAL advantages,superb brass and superior twist rate inherent,all things Kreedmire. Alpha brass hasta be seen,to be believed. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Physics and mechanics are not "subjective",but lotsa folks who "shoot" their mouths and Imaginations,"think" it is. Kreedmire brass can be yielded from any/all things a 260 can be made from...but not the other way around. Hint.(grin)

NOTHING matters more than boolits and that Fact is more than justa touch unsettling to many. The Ping Pong Ball Brigade do love their Dog Schit boolits and really "get after it". Laffin'!

My 21" Kreedmire squirting 147 ELD's,will not launch 'em at like speeds as my 24" 260AI. That is far less than a big fhuqking deal to me,as I'll always happily throw barrel length in the garbage can and bank upon the sanctity of trite ES/SD values and their inherent splendor. A .697BC schleppin' out the door at 2700fps with less than 40grs of powder requisite,to arrange same...ain't a bad place to be. That is some fhuqking SERIOUS LR ass,with a mere pittance of powder volume,very modest recoil and eerie Precision being the net end result.

Rifle started at 26". The first 2.5" chop ADDED 3fps with the 147's. Hint.

[Linked Image]

If I had a 8" twist 260 SALAMI that'd kiss 147's in it's magbox,would I yank the spout and replace it with a Kreedmire? Nope. Though I prolly would set it back and punch it Kreed'. Hint.

Today's boolits are what make the Kreedmire THE Giant Killer that it is. Dog Schit Ping Pong Balls from the past,still suck and always will. A chambering can simply be NO better than it's boolit and the Kreed' was expressly engineered to bolster the best of the bunch and most assuredly do. The 260 was not and pales for same reason(s). Tough to get giddy about a Swede,for like reason. They are not offered with throat/twist/COAL harmony in a platform that's worth a fhuqking schit...yet there isn't a Kreedmire made,that don't connect same dots. Window Lickers hate them facts. Hint. Laffin'!

Joe Average is wellllllllllll shy of having a FIRST fhuqking clue,as this Thread(and all others) perpetually reiterate. It's never been tough to cypher who shoots and who don't. Them that don't...are The Whining Clueless Kchunts sprinkled throughout all Threads,stumped by Physics and superior mechanical design. It'll only come as a "surprise" to them,that no amount of Whining,will skew same. Though there ain't no slightin' the fhuqking HILARITY of a Window Licker Hissy Fit.

Bless their hearts.

Laffin'!

Was gunning a 21" 6BR yesterday out to the 1600yd line and never once wished it had a longer barrel(if only because it started out at 28"),nor more case capacity. Throwing 7 inches of spout offa fhuqking cliff,"cost" 105's 120fps. BFD.

[Linked Image]

It is THE schnizzle at 21",with 105gr Smooches at 2765fps.

[Linked Image]

Always nice to gun a BR and let folks "think" they have a "chance". Lapooey 6BR Virgins look rather menacing,when set next to a .284" 180 ELD and a Grendel Virgin. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

I hear through The Grapevine that a 20" 1-8" Bart' 6BR Montucky dupe,is a real fhuqking hammer too. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

As per always,it'd be some HILARIOUS "particulars",if The Do NOTHING Gang cited the blueprints of their Whine(s),if only to obliviously corroborate their fhuqking STUPIDITY,just a smidge more. The scopes,mounts,boolits and the rest...NEVER disappoints in it's "splendor". Hint. Laffin'!

Pardon my shooting it all and being afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess.

Just sayin'.

Re-hint.

Laffin'!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That's a right sporty bear.

Looks like he's "styling"...

DF

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Stick,

When are you going to try a x47?

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John, Stick is reading and digesting. He picked up on the BR and 6.5s....the BR teaches many, "Less if More" wink

The x47 is a sweet deal, well Alan's Elk just shy of 1K would disagree wink Albeit perhaps a 25" tube, but what's 4" to reach across space?

Said it before many times, a BR is about all most deer and hogs need on killing under 400 yds. Good bullet thru vitals = a bloody knife. Folks have to actually kill deer with one to realize it's a no fuss task to drop game in short order at a surprising distance. Remember JB...aka Burns had Elk dumped at like 700 yds using his 243 w/VLDs. I reckon we shall see some pics of Moose and Grizz dumped with the CM and maybe even the BR as the Adventures continue in AK.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (19rabbit52, 450yukon, 30Gibbs, 10gaugemag, 35sambar, 345dl, 22 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,645
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.