-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only 20,000 mph short of escape velocity or they could fire that little fat leader into orbit.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm still kind of skeptical that that is the real projectile. The laws of aerodynamics still apply and that one has a lousy ballistic coefficient smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm pretty ignorant about this technology - but why does it go "bang" and smoke, just like a conventional cannon?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But does it come in a .270?

(You knew that had to be asked)

Carpe' Scrotum
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bwana1: I agree he should be "taken out"!
The world would be a much safer and better place.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FreeMe
I'm pretty ignorant about this technology - but why does it go "bang" and smoke, just like a conventional cannon?

I believe that the projo has to be MOVING, as the first band of magnetic flux grabs it and tosses it into the next waiting band of flux, and so on down the 'Barrel'.
.....difficult to orient a whole different series of projos PRECISELY enough to start the show ?
Or
.....Just to much energy needed / wasted, and just a more efficient way to accelerate the mass ?

Pretty weak on alla' this myself, here.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

sounds barrier and chem trails smile

Did you see the size of those transformers? It's going to take a big boat and and a bigger generator.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, what is it, guided in some fashion, what's it's effective range, and what is it supposed to do? Could have simply been a movie set from all I know.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/27/17.

1Minute
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I'm still kind of skeptical that that is the real projectile. The laws of aerodynamics still apply and that one has a lousy ballistic coefficient smirk

I think the "pointy thing" is the projectile. The square horse shoe looking thing I "think" is a sabot. About halfway thru the video they show a slow mo of the firing sequence and you can see the sabot stripping off after it exits the barrel.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 86thecat
Only 20,000 mph short of escape velocity or they could fire that little fat leader into orbit.

Hmmm, Imagine a railgun that could put JDAMS's into orbit?

Hit anything in the world and never have to leave home.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

sounds barrier and chem trails smile

Did you see the size of those transformers? It's going to take a big boat and and a bigger generator.

Yes,

These are to be naval weapons.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

I believe that the projo has to be MOVING, as the first band of magnetic flux grabs it and tosses it into the next waiting band of flux, and so on down the 'Barrel'.
.....difficult to orient a whole different series of projos PRECISELY enough to start the show ?
Or
.....Just to much energy needed / wasted, and just a more efficient way to accelerate the mass ?

GTC

Or maybe all the electricity vaporizes some of the projectile on it's way out the barrel. I think the projectile is based on the old Hornady SSt's and they are using a 7 twist barrel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

Or

GTC

Or maybe all the electricity vaporizes some of the projectile on it's way out the barrel. I think the projectile is based on the old Hornady SSt's and they are using a 7 twist barrel.

Everyone knows SST's work best in a 1/8 twist.

I think the idea is rapid fire without explosive propulsion and velocity coming out your arss. Fire rate would be limited to how fast you can load and re-charge the capacitors.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder if a railgun would have any appreciable muzzle blast at all. The projectile isn't propelled by compressed gas behind it, and a number of smaller railguns I've seen have vents all up and down the barrel to make them lighter. I can imagine some loud mechanical transients from the stresses involved in firing, and I anticipate a loud supersonic signature, but muzzle blast? I don't think I'd expect one.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
[/quote]I think the idea is rapid fire without explosive propulsion and velocity coming out your arss. Fire rate would be limited to how fast you can load and re-charge the capacitors. [/quote]

Electromagnetism will cause heat - possibly in great quantities. There are NO free rides.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They're a little hard on steel.

Last edited by Whiptail; 03/27/17.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A large boat full of generators and capacitors has distinct advantages over a large boat with large quantities of nitro-cellulose in magazines!

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Barak
I wonder if a railgun would have any appreciable muzzle blast at all. The projectile isn't propelled by compressed gas behind it, and a number of smaller railguns I've seen have vents all up and down the barrel to make them lighter. I can imagine some loud mechanical transients from the stresses involved in firing, and I anticipate a loud supersonic signature, but muzzle blast? I don't think I'd expect one.

Dunno those vents you reference are to make the tube lighter or reduce pressure at the muzzle. I would be guessing the air pressure in front of the projectile to be impressive regardless. Muzzle blast? Probably not in a conventional sense. Sonic shock signature? In spades and from numerous sources.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The U.S Naval Institute Proceedings has featured SCADS of technical treatises on hyper velocity shootin,
....and not just with railguns, there's a whole new UNIVERSE of higher velocity shooting fun out there awaiting.

The railgun HAS to have a relatively non magnetic barrel , and IIRC correctly the hardened aluminum tubes currently in play are being setup to swap out quickly, with a projected accuracy life of 5-600 shots.
Enter Raytheons boosted and guided super 155MM munition at an absolutely ridiculous price, cobbled up in the prior "admin", ....now apparently chitcanned,....the trend toward common caliber munitions is both encouraging and damned SENSIBLE,....as opposed to each service branch having it's own party in Bangkok or Bali. Read between the lines on that one.
As far as "the size of those transformers",....that's a test facility with high tension A.C. power close by, so using "shore power" makes good sense,....one less fairly demanding ifrastructure to man and fund.
The railgungun RUNS on D.C. current,.....enter Gas Turbines powering BIG D.C. generators, and capacitor banks, forget transformer bulk and weight,.... the raw power end is covered.
Railguns are pretty cool,....but some of the work that's been done out at Livermore using BARRELS of 4350 to accelerate a 10 lb "bolt" out of those inert gas, disc rupture guns is truly astounding.
3-4 shot barrel life for an Inconel tube leaves alla' this in the realm of research, v. practical shootin' iron.

Cheers !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,548 guests, and 708 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.