Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I've had a couple of these, they are fan cooled, but they over heated when it was hot. But there was a piece you could add on above the radiator as I remember to keep that from happening. Anybody remember what that was. I remember by 2010 maybe before they were extremely difficult to find. I'm having a brain fart. Can anyone help?

I found one in an ad but want to ask them if it was added but I forget the name.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
GB2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Don't remember any extra pieces you could add. I know that there was an update that had new side covers and insulation under the gas tank. One of the fixes for over heating was to flush the cooling system and put ice antifreeze in them. That helped in the cooling dept. I have not had an issue with any of my grizzlies over heating, but I don't ride in the mud or streams.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Grizzly's are liquid cooled. You want to add a fan to it? Do you have a plugged radiator?

Camp is where you make it.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I've had a couple of these but it's been years ago. Even in Alaska riding in the summer we noticed they would get hot. That's when we found out they had a recall maybe on the radiator I forget, I did find the parts but it was literally a nation wide search. But it's been too long. Putting in the part did take care of the over heating but I moved on to the next ATV. I sold my ATV's before I left Alaska and have been watching and looking for another one. I found an older 660 but I wanted to know if they had made this adjustment. I just don't recall all the details.

I do want to get something to ride, but in reality doubt I'll get much riding in except maybe during hunting season. Plus being retired I can't justify a new one.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Ahhh, gotchya.

I don't know much about the 660's but some of the big bores are a bit tougher to cool. I'd be surprised if the newer ones aren't liquid cooled and have a ok electric fan.

I have trouble cutting a $10k check for a 4-wheeler too. I have been looking to add another to our house with a family that likes to ride. The 2012-2015 Yamaha grizzlily's are supposed to be really good. That's what I'm the lookout for.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Good information. Thanks

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
How many miles does an ATV run? I found a 2012 Yamaha Grizzly SE ($6000) with 5000 miles. Seems like a lot. Maybe I didn't ride enough, but I never came close to that. Riding in Alaska would wear you out, wear out your shoulders, some rough trails and lots of mud. Put 100 miles on a long weekend and that was a long weekend. They most have some pretty nice trails down here to get that kind of miles.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
How many miles does an ATV run? I found a 2012 Yamaha Grizzly SE ($6000) with 5000 miles. Seems like a lot. Maybe I didn't ride enough, but I never came close to that. Riding in Alaska would wear you out, wear out your shoulders, some rough trails and lots of mud. Put 100 miles on a long weekend and that was a long weekend. They most have some pretty nice trails down here to get that kind of miles.

Met an older gentleman a few years ago who used a Honda Foreman on his farm. It looked very well used, plastic cracked and parts missing, seat upholstery torn up, bald tires etc. Odometer showed almost 40k miles. Aside from brakes, tires, batteries and a clutch, he said it was all pretty much original.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I'd expect that from a Honda. They are tuned down for that. Good information though.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I'd expect that from a Honda. They are tuned down for that. Good information though.

You can expect that from a Yamaha too.

You won't be all beat to hell on a newer one. They have independent front and rear suspension and power steering. You might think you don't need power steering, but if you're wore out from 100 miles of trail riding...you do need it. It will change the way you think about wheelers.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I agree, I've been wanting one with power steering for 5 or 6 years. They are God's gift to ATVing. I just don't want to shell out that kind of money.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It's been around since about 07, so you should be able to find a decent priced wheeler from then.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Well I hope I can find one. Thanks

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Marlin, I just spent a week at home and used the old '06 Suzuki King Quad which shows 13K. I switched the engine last summer with a much higher mileage '01 400 Eiger - basically the same engines in both. And we're running these old Suzukis because the 450 Grizzly dies a couple years ago at around 13K. I think the stator took out CDI; have a new(er) CDI but still need to get after that stator. 5000 miles isn't a lot in our world, basically new even, but that may be another story if it was 5000 miles of mud. Plenty of ATVs make several 10s of Ks out in rural AK.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Sounds like I can live with a machine with 5000 miles on it. Thanks my friend.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
If I didn't intend to put 5000 more on it, it was priced right, and it appeared to be well taken care of. I'd not have an issue buying a Yamaha or a Honda with 5K on it.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Marlin, I have a 2007 Grizzly 660 and a partner has a Honda, forget the exact model. Comparatively his Honda outshines my Grizzly. It has a lower center of gravity and he was going up hills in 2WD where I was already giving it hell in 4WD.

I like my Grizzly, but not sure that's the route I'd go, especially around here.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I haven't had a chance to do any riding here. Looking forward to it. Actually my last machines were Kawasaki 650 Prairie and a Brute Force. They have a pretty low center of gravity too. Just seemed like the reach was tiring for me. Somehow the grips didn't work for me. Maybe I sat too far back. Something to be said for a lower center of Gravity. The Grizzly is pretty high. May have to do some more thinking on it.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
If you like the Yamaha...check out the Grizzly 450's. They have plenty of power, have independent front and rear suspension, and they're noticeably smaller and lower than the bigger Grizzly's. For a while, they were called Kodiak. They're also cheaper than the bigger bore Grizzly.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
198 members (300jimmy, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 01Foreman400, 18 invisible), 1,560 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,911
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.