Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Techsan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Are new models as well made as older models? Reasonable to expect 150K - 200K miles with little to no issues assuming proper maintenance? Lots of discussion on this topic on the net but I know a fair number of campfire dudes run around in them and I can always expect a fair and balanced discussion on the fire. Expected use would be mostly highway commute, occasional light towing, maybe driving too fast through a pasture on the weekends.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bought a 2015 Tacoma Doublecab 4x4 2 years ago after driving the same in a 2002 for 13 years and all I can say is they're both fine trucks. Aside from normal maintenance, the only money I put into the 2002 was a cracked radiator at around 200,000 miles. As long as Toyota makes them, I'll never buy anything else.
My 2015
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 257Deland; 03/29/17.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 2012 Tacoma and it has been a great truck for me. However, for what it's worth, Consumer Reports just named it one of the 10 worst vehicles of 2017.

http://www.consumerreports.org/new-cars/10-of-the-lowest-rated-cars-for-2017/

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Techsan
Are new models as well made as older models? Reasonable to expect 150K - 200K miles with little to no issues assuming proper maintenance? Lots of discussion on this topic on the net but I know a fair number of campfire dudes run around in them and I can always expect a fair and balanced discussion on the fire. Expected use would be mostly highway commute, occasional light towing, maybe driving too fast through a pasture on the weekends.

The new Tacomas do not get good gas mileage. They are plenty strong for light towing. They are made well, but a very different animal than they were in 1988. I've worn out a couple and owned a couple more. The popularity of Toyota trucks (4x4)comes mostly from the fact that they are tough as hell and nothing else can tough them for off-road use.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I just read this on the short description under the Tacoma in the consumer report, "Despite the recent redesign, the ride remains stiff, handling is ponderous". Stiff? Apparently the person that wrote that hasn't ridden in many 3/4 ton trucks. LOL....a Tacoma rides a bit stiff because it's made to go off road, unlike most of the other mid-sized cracker boxes on the road that are made to go down the highway and not LEAVE the pavement.

Last edited by TRnCO; 03/29/17.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an older Tundra, and it is pretty stellar except for the 16mpg on a good day. I really want to get a Tacoma, but they have a lot of negative press. I have the cash set aside fr a new truck, but I am afraid I will be paying for trips to the dealer. If you look on the Tacoma forums, the same problems with hood vibration, poor seats, shifting, lack of low end torque, stalling on inclines due to low oil, water leaks, and howling differentials seem to be very common. Love my Tundra, but afraid to get a Tacoma, and I really wanted something new. I am pissed about what I read.

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Techsan
I can always expect a fair and balanced discussion on the fire.

[Linked Image]

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'm pleased with mine. 92,000 miles on it now; 2011 4x4 4 door 6' box.

Other than oil changes, cabin air filter, 2nd set of tires after the originals and one set of brakes although I don't recall front or rear??

I should probably put a new battery in........

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I should add; ICGAF about mpg. Reliability and resale trump ALL.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a 2004 Tundra that's approaching 300k and is my wife's truck now (we traded off her newer Ford Van for the 2014 Tundra). No major problems other than normal, wear and tear maintenance.

My new Tundra, 2014, 5.7 engine, actually gets better mileage than the 2004. Both neighbors own Tacomas and just love them. I looked long and hard at the Tacoma but they are too rough riding and way too small for me.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a 2016 4 dr with the long bed TRD off-road package and I would not have another vehicle. I had a 2013 I traded on this one and I get better mileage with a bigger truck. Only issue I had is a passenger windshield fluid nozzle was the wrong angle.

Current Truck

[Linked Image]

2013 Truck

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My son has one, not sure of the year, but 130,000 miles. Very reliable. Too small for me, Ill stay with my Silverado.

NRA Patron
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by FlaRick
I have a 2012 Tacoma and it has been a great truck for me. However, for what it's worth, Consumer Reports just named it one of the 10 worst vehicles of 2017.

http://www.consumerreports.org/new-cars/10-of-the-lowest-rated-cars-for-2017/

Consumer report has different criteria then most for them to come up with that.
My son has a 2006 and it is problematic
I had a 2009(rear wheel bearing failure)trim fell off the roof. cheap materials in the interior

I had a 2014 that had no issues other then had to be constantly realigned. I have not driven the new generation one yet

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 2008 4x4 Tacoma has been stellar, just tires and routine maintenance at the dealer...I don't check my mileage, if I want to save gas then I drive my Subaru Turbo smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mack5511
I have a 2016 4 dr with the long bed TRD off-road package and I would not have another vehicle. I had a 2013 I traded on this one and I get better mileage with a bigger truck. Only issue I had is a passenger windshield fluid nozzle was the wrong angle.

Current Truck

[Linked Image]

2013 Truck

[Linked Image]

The TRD's are worth it if you're gonna be off road a lot. The lockers saved my ass on more than one occasion and the suspension is great.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm skeptical but if the above is true I'm sure Glad I've decided to drive my 02 Taco until I die.
In 15 years and 140,000 miles I've put a battery and three sets of wiper blades on it.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
My 2008 4x4 Tacoma has been stellar, just tires and routine maintenance at the dealer...I don't check my mileage, if I want to save gas then I drive my Subaru Turbo smile

The OP mentioned a commute, therefore mileage is probably a consideration. That so-so mileage get really bad when you tow. I mean REALLY bad.

I love Tacomas, but they are not perfect. Nothing is.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Have a '17 TRD OR. I like the ride, is smooth, feels good, fairly quiet. My overall mileage is 21mpg, but my daily commute has a lot of 35-55mph in it. The best highway mileage I've had was 23.3 but that was also going down in elevation half of that tank and with a tailwind half that tank. Overall average tanks on a road trip have been 21.5ish around 70mph.

This truck is certainly not without fault. The lower control arms whistle or humm at highway speeds due to all the holes in them. They now have plugs to go in those holes for that reason, or you can just tape them up. The front windows, at certain angles, also make a whistling type noise and Toyota has replaced a lot of window seals. The transmission is already on its second TSB update to get rid of shifting problems (like not being able to decide what damn gear it wants to be in - 3rd to 4th back to 3rd, 4th, 3rd, etc). Some people have also experienced a flare when shifting, of up to 400rpm. And many are finding low transmission fluid. I've read of a few issues where you step on the gas, and it just doesn't go - but only a few.

My truck has the occasional whistling from the window seals, it had the whistling from the LCAs before I taped them up, it was nearly a quart low on transmission fluid (which got me a free 6 year 100,000 bumper to bumper warranty from Toyota). Once I was accelerating from a light and it acted like the gas was cut off, losing all momentum, then started going again. Not a traction issue, wasn't spinning the wheels, just kind of fell on its face. But that was only once.

My biggest complaint about the 3.5 is the lack of bottom end power. My old 4.0 was much better down low in RPMs and going without having to rev it up. This 3.5 sucks unless you rev it up, but it does have more top end power.

Overall I do like the truck. Comfy, smooth, relatively quiet, just wish it had more bottom end power. And there is supposed to be another TSB for the transmission coming out in the next couple months.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Third generation Dodge/Cummings come close.

A half ton pickup just makes you wish you had a real pickup.😀

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Spend some time over at www.tacomaworld.com I have an 07 that has been the best truck I've ever owned. The 3rd gen Tacoma's are getting very mixed reviews. But like anything else you only hear from the guys with problems.

I have almost 180,000 miles on my 07 and needed a bigger truck. About a year ago I bought a used 2014 F-150 Supercrew, but the Tacoma was worth more to me to keep than trade so we kept it too.

If I didn't need a bigger truck at this time I think I'd still take a chance on one of the 3rd gen Tacoma's.

If you're looking to buy used I'd highly recommend one of the 2005-2015 2nd generation trucks. There are several guys posting over there with 400,000-500,000 miles on them with very few issues.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 91 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,696
Posts18,399,917
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.