Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Midway's Larry Potterfield has an excellent series of gunsmithing videos on You Tube. He walks you thru many of the simpler and some not so simple gunsmithing jobs.

Yep Youtube is the way to go. You can find everything on it

Relive your memories,take a kid hunting and fishing
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 1lessdog
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Midway's Larry Potterfield has an excellent series of gunsmithing videos on You Tube. He walks you thru many of the simpler and some not so simple gunsmithing jobs.

Yep Youtube is the way to go. You can find everything on it

+1

I'm impressed at Larry Potterfield's gunsmithing skills.

He's pretty sophisticated, seems able to do almost any gunsmithing task.

DF

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by saddlesore
After reviewing my library of gunsmithing books and seeing what was available concerning stock work these two books I recommended both have large sections dealing with stocks anywhere from selecting wood, starting from a blank all the way to finishing and checkering. I have a fairly large file of magazine articles I have saved over the years.

NRA Gunsmithing Guide,

Wolfe's Gunsmithing Tips and Projects.

After reviewing those books,really it is more a matter of experience and a feel for wood working, learning what a stock should look like and how certain factors determine fit and function, like what makes a stock deliver less felt recoil

Thank you! I'll dig them up. And thanks for the other resources as well.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks, all. Your comments have been very helpful.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

First or second edition? Or does it not matter?

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by RevMike

First or second edition? Or does it not matter?

Mine doesn't have an Edition marked on it.Just Copyright, 1989.
I'd expect the 2nd edition to have more current info,but it might just be a 2nd printing. Don't think it matters much to what you are looking for

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
http://www.biblio.com/book/checkeri...J98XqoqYE4UDMqNvYnW9bYQyDA7LQaAgx98P8HAQ

This is THE book on checkering and has enough about stockmaking to get you through a big job. I strongly suggest not wasting time on inletted and shaped blanks. Start from scratch and learn why and how it is done. It is only slightly more time and you gain little from having someone do the easiest parts crudely.

You also will develop a feel for what you are doing by the stepwise deconstruction of the blank into a stock.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
That came up on Amazon when I was looking for the other. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Mine doesn't have an Edition marked on it.Just Copyright, 1989. I'd expect the 2nd edition to have more current info,but it might just be a 2nd printing. Don't think it matters much to what you are looking for

Got it, thanks.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Yes Rev, read, read, read. Gunsmithing Tips and Projects got me started years ago. I am doing just what you are thinking of doing. Since I retired last year I have rebuilt one rifle, totally built another, and getting my butt kicked royally by a high grade muzzleloader I'm trying to build. When I get too upset I go sit in my shop door and watch my fruit trees I put out grow. It's all good fun.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
IC B3

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by papat
Yes Rev, read, read, read. Gunsmithing Tips and Projects got me started years ago. I am doing just what you are thinking of doing. Since I retired last year I have rebuilt one rifle, totally built another, and getting my butt kicked royally by a high grade muzzleloader I'm trying to build. When I get too upset I go sit in my shop door and watch my fruit trees I put out grow. It's all good fun.

I have 9 years, 10 months, and 21 days...but who's counting?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by papat

I have 9 years, 10 months, and 21 days...but who's counting?

Rev,

Get the Bishop interesting, hook him up with the books, tapes, videos, etc.

Once he catches on, farm out your work to him.

Brotherly love and such... grin

DF

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Rev,

Get the Bishop interesting, hook him up with the books, tapes, videos, etc.

Once he catches on, farm out your work to him.

Brotherly love and such... grin

DF

You mean get him interested pastoral care so I can do the gun work? Well, there's a reason he's a bishop. grin

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
http://www.biblio.com/book/checkeri...J98XqoqYE4UDMqNvYnW9bYQyDA7LQaAgx98P8HAQ

This is THE book on checkering and has enough about stockmaking to get you through a big job. I strongly suggest not wasting time on inletted and shaped blanks. Start from scratch and learn why and how it is done. It is only slightly more time and you gain little from having someone do the easiest parts crudely.

You also will develop a feel for what you are doing by the step wise deconstruction of the blank into a stock.

I was hoping you would see this Art

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not sure where he is or how to get in touch with him anymore, Google will help, but Les Brooks sent me a thumb drive with all of his teachings from his years instructing @ Trinidad State Junior College. It's a steal for what you get. I think it was about 20 bux and there was lots of hours of information from pics, videos, narrative. ...good stuff.

Richard Franklin of richards custom rifles has a great set of videos on bench type building and ammo building with wilson dies.....also a bargain.

You have a great talent pool here too. There's a lot of unknown guys as well as Jim Kobe, Butch, and plenty more.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
FFL 01 gunsmith licensing is required if you charge anything of value for your work. If you mill, drill or do anything that improves accuracy beyond the original capabilities of the firearm or anything on the big list of general gunsmith activities they deem as manufacturing you are required a $2250 ITAR annual registration and taxes. You will also need permission from your city or county for the home occupation license and the FFL. If you buy guns to assemble or modify it in any way including refinishing the stock, checkering, Cerakote, fitting a recoil pad or sights and then selling it you will need an FFL 07 manufacturing license.

Unless you are ready to go after it to profit the regulations all but prohibit the hobby guys. If you don't charge or keep anything while the owner is not present then you don't really need much of anything license wise. Then it's just two guys playing in the garage with their guns.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by HiredGun
FFL 01 gunsmith licensing is required if you charge anything of value for your work. If you mill, drill or do anything that improves accuracy beyond the original capabilities of the firearm or anything on the big list of general gunsmith activities they deem as manufacturing you are required a $2250 ITAR annual registration and taxes. You will also need permission from your city or county for the home occupation license and the FFL. If you buy guns to assemble or modify it in any way including refinishing the stock, checkering, Cerakote, fitting a recoil pad or sights and then selling it you will need an FFL 07 manufacturing license.

Unless you are ready to go after it to profit the regulations all but prohibit the hobby guys. If you don't charge or keep anything while the owner is not present then you don't really need much of anything license wise. Then it's just two guys playing in the garage with their guns.

Well shoot.

About the only thing I'd be doing for anyone else is mounting a scope or something, since none of the guys I hunt with are really recreational rifle shooters and they don't have any of the equipment to measure torque, etc., but they'd have to be there when I do it for eye relief, so I don't see that as an issue. And I'd probably do that for a beer - although that would be the "A" in ATF, wouldn't it.

What I have planned is simply buying an old rifle here and there, repairing and reworking the stock (which would include bedding and the addition of a pad, if needed), mounting or repairing whatever sights are on it, any other light fixing I think I can do, then either selling it off or giving it to family members. I doubt I'd do 5 or 6 a year, if that. I just need to have something that I enjoy to keep me out of my wife's hair. Would any of that require an FFL?

As for the city/zoning/occ. license, etc., I can take care of all that. It may not be a requirement, since it really wouldn't constitute a business, but I'll check to make sure. After 30 years as a CPA in our community, I still have some contacts in the county offices.

Thanks for that information. It can really throw a wrench in the gears.

RM

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Strictly speaking, engaging in the small commercial pursuits you described, Rev, you would need an FFL. On a practical side, that sort of thing has been going on for about 8 decades now with nary a whimper. It all depends on how blatant you are, how much you care to flaunt the law, how trusting you are of your "customers", and how much you talk about it on an open forum.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
and how much you talk about it on an open forum.

All good points, especially that one^^^^ blush

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Late to the party, computer problems.

I started by studying Roy Dunlap's "Gunsmithing" which is dated. But that's good, intended for people who don't have machine shops. Pretty basic stuff included like tools to acquire and my favorite, how to use a file properly. Then proceed to other books, Wolfe's "Gunsmithing" I think it is called (out of print) which is a compendium of old magazine articles on gunsmithing helped. Written for amateurs.

Then I started fixing common problems on old firearms for friends and acquaintances ,things like old hardware store shotguns that I knew I couldn't make worse. A lot of refinishing, both metal and wood and disassembly/reassembly for deep cleaning - and figuring out how the damned thing worked as you go. Actually function is often restored by deep cleaning decades of gunk off, then on to make it prettier.

As I think somebody mentioned there's no FFL issues as long as you're not in the business. I may charge what I paid for parts as the guy who lets me practice on his gun feels he has to pay something. But not for time or supplies.

I think I learned more from fixing my screw-ups than anything else.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

256 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,367 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,715
Posts18,457,060
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.