Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't haggle with friends or family. Lucky I have great ones of both.

Of course not many of both.

Want something of mine, I'll price it fair or ask you what you want to pay. No biggie. Friendship is far more important.

I bought a car from our best friends. He is a haggler by nature. Drove him nuts when I just said tell me what you want and i"ll write you a check... IT was funny actually. I"d have paid him probably 3000 more if he'd asked for it.

But we help each other out so much its a non issue.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
True friends are hard to come by. Gear isn't.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would never haggle with a friend.
I ask how much do you want for it? Then I decide do I want it for that price or not.
I have also paid more than the asking price when I thought the friend was giving me too much "friend discount".
The one friend I hesitate to trade with will never quote a price to me. When I ask how much he wants for it he will give it to me or he says "what ever you want to pay for it". I always feel uncomfortable buying from him.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I ain't going to haggle with a friend. If they got what I want, I'm paying full asking price.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I would pay his asking price or walk from it. Friends, real ones are hard to find. I won't mess around for a few bucks or a hundred.
Put on his shoes.

NRA Patron
IC B2

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I hate the haggling process and for sure wouldn't do it with a friend. If a "friend" tried to haggle with me, every time he opened his mouth the price would go up!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't haggle.
If dealing with a friend, they would already have been given consideration by me and I would expect the same in return.
Take it or leave it.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Few friends that I have usually ask less than what it is worth and then we haggle trying to get him to take more money for it.

More than likely if he wants something or I do, we will give it to the other person, unless it is a high dollar item. I have very few true friends.The ones that I do,I regard as family.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've given away as many guns as I've sold.

And been given as many as I've bought.

Granted, those statements aren't entirely true but they aren't far off.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't haggle with buds, my buds don't haggle with me, they already know when I give a price to them it's lower than what anyone else could buy it for.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I don't haggle, even with strangers.

In fact, I've gone the other way.

When I bought my boat, the guy was origionally asking $1500, but had lowered his Craigslist listing to $1200.

When we got down to price, he'd actually forgotten what his final asking price was. He looked me straight in the eye and said "Tell the truth, I'll let you have it for a thousand. I gotta get rid of it."

The rig was worth the $1200, so I said back, "I'm not the kind of guy that's going to low-ball a guy on his boat. I'll give you the $1200."

Another example:

I just bought a friend's Remington 1903A3. He told me the price he wanted, which was definitely the "friends and family plan". He and I argued quite a bit with my reply being, "are you SURE that's all you'll take for it?"

While I know there's a game being played at gun shows and the like, I don't like to haggle.

In fact, when I'm on the receiving end I don't like people trying to get me down.

Its a different situation, but Mrs. Aqualung hand-paints ceramics and we sell them in craft shows. We always have obnoxious people coming up and trying to haggle.

Kelly does absolutely fabulous work (professional, artistic-grade) and we price the pieces very fairly. I usually respectfully decline and state that her hard work is worth every penny we ask for a piece. We aren't profiteering on these things.

However, on some of the more obnoxious, I've been known to ask if they would be willing to get paid less for whetever they do for a job...do they take less per hour from 4:00-5:00 because "it's the end of the day"?

Again, I know they're different situations.

Aqualung

"Bambi's Good Eatin'!"
- Me

"...Somewhere, there are Brownings in a two-hand hold,
Cocked and locked, one up the spout..."
- Jethro Tull
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Depends on the friend, and the circumstances - I've paid more than asking price, several times -
but, if nobody's hurting, and it's not "business", - it's fun to haggle over a few dollars smile
I've made deals upon the inclusion of a beer!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
money is easy to make. friends are not.

My diploma is a DD214
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have to feel sorry for those of you whose friendships are so weak that they would chance ruin due to making a fair offer. Very sad friendships indeed.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I don't, no one ever offers to sell me chit, buds and family are always after my stuff. cry

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Friends get as good a deal as I got, if not better. If it's gun that I may be hesitant about selling, I might ask "if you ever decide to sell it, let me have first dibs".

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
I don't, no one ever offers to sell me chit, buds and family are always after my stuff. cry

I'll sell ya schit, what schit you looking for bro?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't haggle with friends. I just can't bet my buddy up over a little money. Friendships, at least to me, are more important than that. It means way more to me to be able to help out a friend. I've given more than one gun away to friends, one of them here on the fire, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Friends just gotta stick together like that some times.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jnyork
Subject came up on another board, what are your thoughts on price haggling with your friend when he has something for sale. My philosophy is that trying beat your good friend down on a price is bad form and bad manners. Friendship is worth more that the small amount of discount you might win. Either buy the item at his price or don't buy it .

Now, with a stranger or dealer, that's another story, I will and do haggle with the best of them, everyone expects it and if they don't they wont likely make a sale with me.
with good friends if i have something they need and i don't, i just give it to them.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I only haggle with friends for fun. As far as I'm concerned, being a friend entitles me to pay extra.

Politics is War by Other Means
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
157 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 2,002 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.