Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All:

I just did a chamber cast of my 1895 today. The pics below show the results.

Next to a 30-30.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

BP-B2

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Next to a 303 Savage

[Linked Image]

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
30-30 on left. 303 Savage on right.

[Linked Image]

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just before I punched out the cast.

[Linked Image]

Freshly removed cast from my 1895

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck...

Savage, never say never.

*Note: to avoid wrinkles in a Cerrosafe cast, pre-heat the barrel with a hair dryer. You don't have to get it hot, just nice and warm.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hello Gary,

I used MidwayUSA's metal. They say it is better than Cerrosafe but I have limited experience with both. Maybe same, same. Worked well enough for me to get the info I was pursuing.

Thanks for the tip though. I warmed it, but not quite enough.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
...but it is still correct-for-1895 stamped as a 303 barrel, so obviously re-chambered?

How about your comparison of other 1895's distance to sight dovetail, is yours the same 5.5", or shorter?

I love mysteries like this!!

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It is 5.5 inches like all others. The barrel stamps on 1895s had "303" stamped within with the address. The caliber stamp wasn't separate like 99% of other guns are.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The tell-tale extra length of neck in your chamber is too long for either cartridge (correct?). It's just the shoulder that has been cut forward, so 30-30 brass will chamber. It still headspaces correctly on the rim. Maybe this why SAAMI chamber dimensions got started..., just sayin'

JeffG
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
JeffG,

No on the neck.

The 303 is way to fat on the bottom. It doesn't make it quite halfway. Lol.

I already knew the rifle was 30-30.

I will show range targets, and documentation in the future. wink

Maybe some on here have already seen it. wink

How cool would it be to kill a deer with the first Savage ever chambered in a Win caliber. Then again, I heard 30-30 is no longer adequate for deer. I better go after an elk.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Hey, if you can shoot a Tiger with a HP, that 95 should be good for a T-Rex, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No gunsmith marking as to who rechambered it?

Or was it sent back to Savage Arms for this? But you would think they of all people would remark the barrel to 30-30.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You can't re-chamber a .303 to .30-30. The body of the .303 is bigger and the reamer would mostly churn against air instead of cut steel. To do so would require a fair amount of barrel setback, and since Jeff said the sight dovetail remains at the original prescribed distance, that didn't happen.

Another scenario would be someone bought, begged, borrowed, or stole an unchambered .303 barrel blank from Savage/Marlin and fitted/chambered it as a .30-30 on his (or a customer's) M1895, or else it indeed was done at the factory.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The truth of this rifle is forever lost in the turn of calendar pages, but it is a fun mystery to build our own stories on..., it never too late for alternative facts!
laugh

JeffG
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Hey, if you can shoot a Tiger with a HP, that 95 should be good for a T-Rex, Joe.

No T-Rex. Just want to connect with a nice deer with it. I feel pretty confident that I can do just that. Besides, all the T-Rex's were killed off in Michigan around the turn of the century.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Come on down to Maryland's Jurassic State Game Lands if you want to try it out, Jeff. Located right inside the D.C. Beltway.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
People say with Savage "never say never." But in your case so much time and potential number of owners have passed since the rifle was built that I'd say your perspective should be "with years, never say never." There's no accounting for what's happened to this thing over the last century. But as Gary said about ducks...

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Letter it.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by S99VG
People say with Savage "never say never." But in your case so much time and potential number of owners have passed since the rifle was built that I'd say your perspective should be "with years, never say never." There's no accounting for what's happened to this thing over the last century. But as Gary said about ducks...

A rebarreled rifle?

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A relined barrel ?? does the Barrel have the JM stamp ?

plab

Last edited by Plab; 03/30/17.

Gotta love them 303's
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 72 invisible), 2,941 guests, and 1,390 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.