Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
E
The last few years Ive been growing around 100 tomatoes and doing the florida weave method which works ok what methods does every body else use

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Mennonites here use that. I use cages for the most part.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tie to stakes with t-shirt strips.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Homemade cages made from concrete wire and then a steel fence post with the cages tied to them. When they get tall a wind will blow over just the cages by themselves. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Home made Cages

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I found some fencing a few years ago that was cheaper than the concrete wire, I stretch it between fence post. As the plants grow I weave them in and out of the square holes. I also use the same method for my Cucumbers.

There is a war on America and America is losing
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I started growing our tomatoes in 5 gallon containers. I set them near the deck and tie them to the uprights as they grow. Keeps them out of the wind and I can put up cattle panels to keep the deer off of them late in the season.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The wind always seems to blow over my "weave" methods here, so....usually use one T-stake per plant, and simply use sisal twine to tie the plant loosely toward the stake as it grows.

I do some pruning, but mostly just loop more twine around the stems as they appear.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by milespatton
Homemade cages made from concrete wire and then a steel fence post with the cages tied to them. When they get tall a wind will blow over just the cages by themselves. miles

This is what I do, wire mesh. As they grow I just keep lifting the branches up higher in the mesh. I have tried the tie-up thing and it just doesn't work for me.

And yes, I've used the wire mesh cages for cucumbers too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I live in an area that has become the new Mennonite capitol of the world, or so it seems. They raise a lot of produce, including tomatoes. They grow them in greenhouses, high tunnels, and in the field. It is very interesting to see the methods that they use. I have seen them prune the plants back so much that about all that was there was the stem and the fruit. They are after a tomato with no flaws, as they strive to sell for the highest dollar possible. Some of these growers easily sell $20,000 an acre, or so they claim. Anyway, most that I see use the stakes and the weave to hold the plants up. They have it down to a science, and it must work pretty good. I guess when you have a lot of plants like they do, wire cages would get expensive.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Not to steal this thread, but how many prune the plants back? I usually let the plant grow, they do get tall through the cages. Is there an advantage to keeping them short?

E
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
E
Ive never pruned but heard of people topping tomatoes like tobacco once it gets chin high

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I prune my tomatoes all the time, whenever I want. Hopefully I get after them when they are small branches, but sometimes if I don't like what it's doing, I'll just cut off a big monster branch too.

They're tough enough to take anything you want to do to them, after they are established and growing well.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
A fellow told me if you top out the plant, it will force the growth to the tomatoes. I plant a dozen or so each year, so I'll try the pruning on one or two and see if there is a difference.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Only grow indeterminate, VFN resistant tomatoes, prune/remove the suckers regularly and train/tie the individual plants to a 5' redwood stake....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, I prune when I have time. Friend of mine in the early 90's, a certified "nurseryman" (she weren't no man!) showed me a book by a Japanese gardener who severely pruned tomatoes. They looked like an espaliered apple tree. I can't bring myself to prune like that, but I take out suckers, cut back 25-50% of the leaf material on the inside of the plants and things along those lines.

Of course, the last few years I've been so busy at work during the tomato season, I've just mainly kept them tied up as best I can. And I still get tomatoes. Is there a lesson to be learned there? confused

I'm going to have to look into those weaving methods y'all are talking about. Something new to try in a few seasons when I retire.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Anyone have a picture of an example of how to tie/stake tomatoes?

I usually just put tomato cages on mine and let them grow.

As much as I like tomatoes, perhaps I'd better change my methods... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I put mine in a cage, but the commercial growers in South Arkansas use stakes and twine. Not sure exactly how they do it but the twine runs from one stake to another. Might want to be careful about the pruning. Here tomato's will sunburn in late July and August. Probably worse in South Texas. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Anyone have a picture of an example of how to tie/stake tomatoes?

I usually just put tomato cages on mine and let them grow.

As much as I like tomatoes, perhaps I'd better change my methods... wink

No pic, Barry, but I remember the way my pop-pop done it.

He had great tomatoes. His neighbor worked for Campbell's and would bring him 10-12 left over plant from research.

We would drive lath next to the plant when it got tall enough to need it. The main stem was tied (carefully) with some slack to the lath with strips of old bedsheet so as to not cut into the plant. More ties as the plant got taller and the branches would hang.

I don't recall pruning or pulling blossoms though. hard to imagine more and bigger tomatoes either!

Don't know if that helped, but that's what I remember.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Always hammer the stakes in first and plant the tomato in a hole dug right up against the stake. Doing so serves two purposes, it eliminates damage to the roots caused by hammering a stake next to an established plant and also allows one to tie the thickest part of the main stem at the base of the plant right up against the stake making for a much neater looking, easier to train tomato plant. As for tying, use cotton ties with a little bit of 'give' or elasticity, that are placed around the stake, criss-crossed and tied securely around the stem of the tomato plant (picture a figure 8). Always draw the stem as close as possible to the stake as the plant has a tendency to get further and further away during subsequent ties as it is growing.
As for trimming suckers, I only plant indeterminate varieties which don't top out (as determinate and semi-determinate varieties do) and continue growing throughout the whole season. The trick is to train the main stem to the stake and prune (weekly, while they are small) the suckers which grow between the main stem and secondary stems while they are still small (picture a sucker as the stem that emerges at a 45 deg. angle between the 90 deg. angle formed by the main and secondary stems).
Hope this helps....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

388 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 49 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,001
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.