L
LouisB Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
Title about say it all.

What if one wants to avoid them?

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They sell uncured deli meats (no nitrates/nitrites) at the supermarket so it's
doable. They use suger and salt mostly for the flavor.
Might not keep as long as the cured.

One of Elaine B's cookbooks might have a recipe. She has a book out on preserving meats.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It depends on what you're doing with them and how you're preparing them. I makes LOTS of sausages with zero nitrates. But they aren't smoked and they aren't dry-cured/dry-aged. If you want to avoid them, the trade off is Russian roulette with botulism. The word "botulism" has its Latin root in the "botulus" - which means "sausage". They managed to make a connection between the disease and the consumption of sausages. Basically, if you want to avoid nitrites/nitrates, then don't have your sausage in the "danger zone" - anaerobic conditions (which the sausage creates by its very creation) between 40-140 degrees (which is common in smoker conditions and in dry curing/aging conditions). You can hot smoke sausages without nitrites/nitrates, but even then they spend enough time in the danger zone to potentially allow growth of Clostridium Botulinum, which produces the botulinum toxin, which will really mess you up. I have the autoimmune neuromuscular disease whose acute attack symptoms mimic botulism (myasthenia gravis). Trust me, you don't want to contract botulism or experience the symptoms. I do all of my own meat processing and make a lot of sausage - fresh, cured, smoked, etc. Use the curing salts to prevent botulism. It's not worth the risk to NOT use them unless you are a professional and have the facilities and education and training to know how to monitor and control pH and active water in the sausages without cure.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by selmer
It depends on what you're doing with them and how you're preparing them. I makes LOTS of sausages with zero nitrates. But they aren't smoked and they aren't dry-cured/dry-aged. If you want to avoid them, the trade off is Russian roulette with botulism. The word "botulism" has its Latin root in the "botulus" - which means "sausage". They managed to make a connection between the disease and the consumption of sausages. Basically, if you want to avoid nitrites/nitrates, then don't have your sausage in the "danger zone" - anaerobic conditions (which the sausage creates by its very creation) between 40-140 degrees (which is common in smoker conditions and in dry curing/aging conditions). You can hot smoke sausages without nitrites/nitrates, but even then they spend enough time in the danger zone to potentially allow growth of Clostridium Botulinum, which produces the botulinum toxin, which will really mess you up. I have the autoimmune neuromuscular disease whose acute attack symptoms mimic botulism (myasthenia gravis). Trust me, you don't want to contract botulism or experience the symptoms. I do all of my own meat processing and make a lot of sausage - fresh, cured, smoked, etc. Use the curing salts to prevent botulism. It's not worth the risk to NOT use them unless you are a professional and have the facilities and education and training to know how to monitor and control pH and active water in the sausages without cure.

Great response.

L
LFD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Something to think about The Nitrites are used in such a small amount.
example Lee's seasoning recommends a 1/4 teaspoon per 100 lbs.
Sodium Nitrites are used in some foods. I prefer to have it in Home made sausage.
Will it hurt you ? It may effect some people I can't answer that question but has been used for many years in a lot larger amounts. basically it just curing salt.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think that nitrates used in moderation pose any issues. Chemically they get reduced/used in the curing process. I think the danger is excess "free" nitrates.
Many foods such as celery contain more nitrates than the sausages.
Potassium nitrate has a longer chemical life, and it is only commercially legal for bacon due to the long curing cycle. This assures it will be broken down. Sodium nitrates used in sausages react faster. I always let mine sit a day to diffuse the salts and spices, whether fresh sausages or cured sausages.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
After the protiens are denatured (cooking) there is very little nitrate left residual.

Cures lower the D-value (death rate) of C. Bot and Staph, some buy as much as about 1.5-log10. The danger zone is 120F-80F for bot, and 80F-40F for staph. Time of growth changes with or without cure die to cure being a preventitive which causes slow spore growth. But rule of thumb is to bring food down, 120F-80F in 1.5 hours and 80F-40F within 5 hours. Source - FSIS Appendix B

Most nitrate free product has celery salt or other nauturally occuring nirtate (sea salt, ect.) in them, but because its "natural" they don't have to claim it, and the regulations say they can print nitrite free on the package. Just flip over the package and read them, you'll be surprised.

That being said, if your cooking sausage, and you want to air dry or ferment then I wouldnt do it without using the proper cure. But again, it all depends hlwhat your making and processes.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
L
LFD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Just got back from Texas made about 875 lbs of sausage. Seasoned , ground up meats, Mixed, stuffed in casings. No nitrites. Just made sure sausage was kept under 45 degrees. Smoked in a smoke house with AC unit. Now in freezer.

You can or can not use Nitrites. We made also Dried Sausage recipe which most definitely used Sodium Nitrite. There is a difference

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Selmer is correct. It isn't worth the risk.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

603 members (1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 16penny, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,040 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,269
Posts18,448,309
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.