Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I noticed the latest data on reloading for the 5.7X28 round included some fascinating data for AA #7 powder. The start load gives the 40 gr. Sierra Hornet bullet over 1900 fps..... The top load generates over 2000 fps. Hmmm.
Handguns, particularly semi automatic pistols, aren't nearly as tough as almost all our rifles these days. While some of the revolvers out there are exceptionally tough, think Ruger Red Hawk and Smith's big .460/.500 S&W guns, they are the exception rather than the rule.
So, out came the AA#7, and my 40 gr. & .45 gr. SRA Hornet bullets. Brand new cases. I pulled the bullets on some factory rounds. No triming, washing or heavy resizing for me. Not with something this touchy. You work up loads by .1 gr. increases, etc.
Long story short is that both starting loads were too hot in my gun. Yes I was very careful to use the proper COL. Weighed each power charge. Loaded them one at a time, etc.
Got some catered primers and at least one leaking primer with each starting load......
Going to reduce the starting loads and try again. E

Last edited by Oheremicus; 03/29/17.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Accurate Powders have varied enough in burning rate from lot to lot and over time to cause issues, one reason because they frequently switch suppliers. Actually, all brands do that, every new jug is a little different.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
First off, Id chronograph and compare.

Second, the 5.7 was designed NOT to be reloaded, at least by anyone that has a limited amount of time or patience. Brass is soft, especially the rim.

Good luck with that goatphugg.

True Blue is the factory powder. Its also the most forgiving.
Once fired factory loads look like abominations and re-pressing them into serviceable service is a PITFA.

When you get a case that lives through a re-size and prime it will also need a trim.....and thats the once fired cases.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah and blow a case head in a fancy plastic pistol, and the frame will likely be ruined. Maybe your hand, too. frown

I have one of the RIA 22TCM's. Have not loaded for it, yet but it should be interesting.

Bottlenecked handgun cases can be challenging to keep bullets from setting back in feeding, based on my experience with the .400 Corbon. I expect the little guys will be just as fussy. Bullet setback can really spike pressure.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

O
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Never had a problem with bullet set back in my 5.7. And yes I've loaded and checked enough rounds to know.
My information is that no factory ammo uses the canister powders that reloaders use. The guys that says that True Blue is the factory powder apparently came to that conclusion by pulling bullets and comparing it's appearance, not by lab testing.
Yes, True Blue is an excellent, forgiving powder. That's what I started loading the 5.7 with. But AA#7 also has a good rep for being very forgiving. I've used a fair amount of it in my 10mm, for instance.
I posted this to remind everybody that guns can vary. With a round as critical as the 5.7, one must be very careful to start with the starting loads. My gun is undamaged. But I see lots of experimenting with the 5.7 posted on You Tube, etc. Gives me a case of the willys.
Anyway, I'm going to reduce my powder charges and try again. I will weigh each charge and make sure the bullets are seated correctly. And I will use nothing but new, unfired brass. E

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
There has been blow up problems with 5.7's with factory ammo.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Canister powders get used in ammo all the time; they usually have a different number designation.

For example, H110/296 was developed for Winchester factory 357 and 44 ammo. Federal NE ammo (dont recall which, maybe the 470) was loaded with RL15.

Leverevolution and Superperformance are both loaded in Hornady ammo.

Yeah, I just looked at the powder appearance and called it good....

Odd, I never managed to make holes in the cups. Must have been lucky.

Hint: See my advice on the first step.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 57 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,035
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.