Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Pretty disappointed in the quality of a new Manfrotto tripod I wore out in one season. I ran a Bogen Manfrotto 3205g with a pan tilt head for probably 13 years, hard. Toward the end the head was pretty loose but I never had any problems with it. When I replaced my old swaro 15s with a WB pair I decided to upgrade my tripod too. I'm used to a pan tilt so I decided to stick with one. I got the 290 with the 804rc2 head. Pretty much the same tripod with the exception of different leg angle locks, which I prefer on the 290. The first hunt with the new binos and tripod I placed the binos on the tripod and put them on my shoulder like usual. The quick release lock on the head is super sticky and never locks...brand new swaros fall off and hit the rocks hard. Awesome. I learned to always check the QR after that. Just finished up the last hunt of the year and the the head is shot. There is so much play in the head it's impossible to glass with. Even with all the knobs tightened, there is still play. The tripod legs are still in good shape for the most part, the leg locks are sticky and require a lot of adjusting. Gonna have to rethink my setup. I've always recommended the Manfrotto as a heavy tripod, pretty disappointed. Any thoughts on a good pan tilt head replacement?

Last edited by NMpistolero; 03/29/17.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did not read your entire post, but nobody wears out
a tripod in one season.

You seem to have a personal problem, don't know how to
use and get the right model, etc.

I hope you get things figgered out............

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So you got a heavier glass and a tripod and head with a 20% reduction in weight capacity and wonder why you do not like it?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Well I could be wrong but I think I just got called a liar! Hahaha I guarantee I wore it out in one season. I'm actually a guide so I guess I should have said that. I hunt a bit more than most. Exact same glass first gen 15x56 to a second gen pair. Exact same tripod just a generation different too. No difference in weight. What else Yall got??

Jared
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I am not sure what you are using the tripod for (binoculars?), but I found the Manfrotto's to be lacking when using as a rifle tripod. I recently upgraded to the RRS TVC-34 with BH-55 head and can't find a single thing to complain about. Absolutely superior in stability, weight, ease of adjustment, overall quality, etc. I highly recommend it.

Last edited by whitebread; 03/29/17.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by whitebread
upgraded to the RRS TVC-34 with BH-55 head and can't find a single thing to complain about. Absolutely superior in stability, weight, ease of adjustment, overall quality, etc. I highly recommend it.

ReallyRightStuff is indeed top notch. I imagine that their fluid video head would be stellar for $2k

NM- you might consider a stouter fluid video head than the 804

Last edited by RedRabbit; 03/29/17.
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
The RRS look stout but don't know if I could justify spending $2k on a head. I think I'll try to find one of the old 3130 heads.

Jared
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They're all over EBay.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I just bought an old Gitzo Rational #3 head for $45 from KEH.com for my spotting scope tripod for range use. It is heavy, but stout and smooth. The only plastic on it are the caps on the handles.

Here's a link to one:

https://www.keh.com/shop/tripods-gitzo-rational-3-370-715110.html

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Appreciate it! I'll check it out!

Jared
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The nice thing is, the handles are metal so if you want to shorten them down for field use you can just take a hacksaw to them, then re-mount the plastic knobs.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Is your 290 aluminum or carbon?

I've been thinking about the carbon model.

Dink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dont know my Manfrotto model, but it was wobbly without much use. It also would not tighten up. Seems some screws fell out of the head. I took it back to the shop where I bought it, and I wanted to trade it in. They popped a few screws in it and it was good as new. They said it is a huge problem.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
It's aluminum. In all honesty the legs are fine except they need adjusting often. Maybe some loctite the bolts of the leg yoke would help so the legs don't flop. The flip locks seem to need adjusting often too. I'll get them just right then they seem to tighten up on their own. Extra glue on the rubber feet would help too. I'm thinking of going CF too. I still like Manfrotto stuff I just think the newer magnesium heads aren't as good as older models.

Jared

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 50 invisible), 2,214 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,831
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.