-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
For many years Iowa City, Iowa was our overnight stop on our way home from PD shooting in S.D. We looked forward to eating at the food court in the mall and spending the rest of the evening in Scheels till they closed. They always had several Coopers to drool over and lots of interesting stuff in the gun library. Lots of reloading supplies reasonably priced and competent staff. It's been four years since I've been there, hopefully it hasn't changed.
Dave

GB1

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I like them. The selection of used guns can be lacking at the ones I frequent in Iowa but that is likely due to the trade-ins they have available. I have gotten some killer deals over the years. New prices are retail but not as high as Cabelas or Gander. Good selection of ammo and components and didn't gouge on 22LR when they had it. Good service with friendly employees.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We don't have one here but I went to the one in Sioux city Iowa. I loved that place. Great prices on ammo. Great selection of guns. Better than the bass pro here. One of the best sporting goods stores I have been to.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The newer Scheels I have been in all have the ferris wheel. I guess something for Mama to do with the kids while we're shopping.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The store in Sioux Falls is killer! Huge used gun dept. last time I was there.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Scheels is a more complete sporting goods store...golf, running, baseball and workout gear, but their hunting/fishing departments are pretty damn good.

Their prices are a little higher than they probably should be, but it is nice to see and hold things before ordering them like you have to do online.

Pretty good alternative to Cabelas and Bass Pro IMO.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Never did like Scheels.

Cant remember why I stopped going, but I did for some reason.

I am MAGA.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Longbob
Anyone have a Scheels sporting goods store in their area? They are building a monster 300,000 sq ft one in our area and I have never heard of them.

What do you think of them and their prices?

I live within a 10 block radius of the Fargo ND store. Scheels started as a hardware store (still have one in Fargo) in the region. They were always a mecca when I was a kid, as there were very few gunstores that would have a better selection of guns and ammo. I was a bit disappointed when the opted to go for the AllSports/SuperStore system - I could give a sh*t about that other crap.

They've sold me a bunch of guns over the years - I don't think I've ever bought a bum steer out of the place. Prices can vary from good to vastly overpriced - like anything you need to know value and comparison shop. I can usually buy my reloading components for less than it'd cost to have shipped to my house from any of the big outlets. Clothing is a bit steep, but watch your sales, and cruise the clearance racks religiously.

The local store has really downsized it's reloading selection, mainly due to the availability scare, I'd guess. Ammo is not cheap, but they typically will put the "standard" stuff on sale periocically.

My main peeve, as of late, is their tendency towards economy rifles. Sh*tloads of Savages, and economy offferings from all the manufacturers. Last time in they had two NEW winchester M70s and one NEW Ruger 77. Maybe a half dozen NEW Remington 700s. Otherwise the rifle choices are Tactical, Economy, highend semi-customs (Cooper, Christianson Arms, etc) or used. Caliber choices is standard chamberings - seldom will you see anything with any panache. And someone in their purchasing chain seems to think the world of the 300 RUM....

Plenty of shotgun choices, decent selection of handguns.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry to say, NO Scheels in AZ cry

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by DW7
Originally Posted by 338rcm
They are building one in Colorado now, up by Loveland. The building is Huge!!

Gonna have a ferris wheel in it too! Kinda along the lines of dicks Sporting goods with better huntin and fishin selection.

Absolutely positively NOTHING like Dick's.

They both sell soccer balls. Absolutely positively never seen a soccer ball in cabelas or bass pro or sportsmens.

Last edited by DW7; 03/29/17.
IC B3

L
Longbob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Anyone have a Scheels sporting goods store in their area? They are building a monster 300,000 sq ft one in our area and I have never heard of them.

What do you think of them and their prices?

Longbob, what town?
Got to see how far the drive is.

I'm west of FW.

The Colony. Pick me up on your way through. smile

http://thecolonytx.gov/Documents/20160504ScheelsAnnouncement.pdf

How in the world do you get from Denton to The Colony--

Sure I'll pick you up.

My normal route would be i 30 to 121 and follow that to the that new road that I hope construction is finished on. Through HEB and up.

They won't break ground on the Scheels until sometime in 2018. Hopefully they will finish most of the construction between you and them. I am slightly out of the way. Probably best to meet in Lewisville on your way through then go from there.

Will we need to retain Bob prior to this excursion? shocked

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Good prices on their used guns normally.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
At least at the Billings store, the used guns come with a guarantee or your money back.
I bought a Sako a7 7mm-08 that I could not get to shoot. Took it back and they said it had a gouge in the rifling, they gave me my money back no problem.
Was in on Saturday and the store was very busy, not sure what the deal was but lots of shoppers.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Plus 1

They hire people who know about the outdoors as well - remember when Cabelas did that.

Originally Posted by deflave
Love them.

Blows Cabelas and Bass Pro out of the water in comparable sized stores.

Good selections, ok prices. You can find a lot of schit there that you'd otherwise have to buy online.

Good deals on guns can be had in the library and used sections. They will haggle if it's been sitting for a while.

Outstanding customer service too.

Clark

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It's one of my favorite outdoor stores in the area. Prices are on the high-average for guns, but they have a nice used guns at decent prices.

Their fishing gear I thought was a bit high, but all that stuff seems to be rising in price.

The times I've been to their stores, they've been helpful and knowledgeable.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Scheels is based out of Fargo, ND. There are 3 stores. Two in Fargo and one in Moorhead across the river. The Moorhead store converted to clothing type stuff a few years back. The Fargo 13th ave store converted to hardware/upper end grills etc.

The Fargo 45th street store is the "All Sports" Super Store. If you're not looking for clothes or shoes, head past the Ferris Wheel to the escalator. All the hunting and fishing stuff is on the 2nd level.

As someone said the fishing section is large and catered toward the popular species in our area. In the winter, there will be a huge selection of ice fishing gear. The taxidermy in the store is pretty cool also because it features some nice mounts that were taken locally and it states by whom.

Their is also Scheels Arena which is a multi-purpose venue for hockey tourney's etc. I think they do a lot for the community as well.

I like Scheels WAY better than Cabela's.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have been in the Billings store and it was very good. That said, I will take the former Big R now North 40 Outfitters in Pondaray Idaho or Black Sheep in Coeur d'Alene.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are the usual fast-moving merchandise big box type store but with a flair.

Their stores are nice and well stocked with what most people look for, but don't ask for 9.3mm bullets or 16ga ammo. You'll get blank looks from the sales people, who are all well groomed and polite.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We have one on the Kansas side that I have been to 3 or 4 times. I think the only thing I have purchased there is some 22LR ammo when it was hard to find. They are way better than Dick's as an all sports big box store and I like them better than Bass Pro - especially their reloading selection. I still prefer Cabela's as my first choice for big box outdoors stores. My biggest gripe concerning Scheels is the expanded metal covering their handgun display cases. Makes it very hard for me to see what they have for sale.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Great store for the whole family. Kinda like a Dick's Sporting Goods but with decent prices, selection and products.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12344mag, 163bc, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,734
Posts18,457,547
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.