Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I bet son was thinking, "wow, Dad, I would've smoked him at 420 yards". Kudos to Randy for showing how it really is.

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I applaud anyone that releases video to the public of a less than optimal shot and gives an explanation of how they think they could have made an optimal shot. As mentioned earlier in the thread the animal headed off for another day so that is the bess less than optimal outcome.

Hunting out West is tough. Staying on your game every minute of every day afield is a challenge. Mistakes are made when you get tired, uncomfortable or distracted.

I can't imagine the extra hurdles for a hunt when include a film crew, permits, logistics and having to get the shot on camera. In this specific case, the autofocus on the video camera created a distraction as did having to relocate the camera. I never have had to deal with video issues though and have still misjudged the wind.

I carry a crib sheet rubber-banded to the stock of my .338WinMag which shows adjustments for various angles of wind, angle of shot, temp change, humidity change and altitude change. Most of my shots during hunts are under 300 yards so the crib sheet is not needed often but when conditions are significantly different than when sighted in the .338 then I am glad I have the sheet. I adjust the turrets and settle in for the shot.

No worry about the camera and no one else moving around or dropping something on a rock or sneezing or whispering back and forth on which animal is the target, etc. Getting a hunt on video is like playing golf from the championship tees. I will be up hitting from the white tees. Plenty of challenge for an old guy. Fore!

A computer once beat me at chess. I then won a kickboxing contest with the same computer. So, 1-1 to date.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
A guy who kills quite a few animals misses an elk and people think they should give advice....? An elk was missed- BFD.

Only on the internet is it "rare" to miss while hunting.

A 300 mag at 300 yards doesn't make enough difference to matter unless you are shooting high BC bullets pushed hard.

Originally Posted by JGRaider

Now surely you wouldn't represent that with all of this practice that you, or anyone else for that matter, including Hodnett and/or all of his pupils, Tubb, etc can perform first shot hits every time?

Just a question, because you bring up Todd and David just about every time longer range shooting is discussed- but you understand that in one case you are watching guys shoot and train for WAR and in the other COMPETITION, not BG hunting? They have to shoot in whatever condition is presented. A hunter does not.

When you have competent shooters and let them wait for the shot they want/good conditions, they have a ridiculously high hit rate, even at long range.

Despite popular opinion, the military as a whole sucks at shooting (including "special people"), and there's not much translation between military shooters using 2 MOA 7.62 semi autos with reletively poor bullets, and having to shoot in terrible conditions- to a decently skilled hunter using a 1moa bolt gun with high BC bullets that gets to choose when he shoots.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good post on all points.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Just a question, because you bring up Todd and David just about every time longer range shooting is discussed- but you understand that in one case you are watching guys shoot and train for WAR and in the other COMPETITION, not BG hunting? They have to shoot in whatever condition is presented. A hunter does not.

When you have competent shooters and let them wait for the shot they want/good conditions, they have a ridiculously high hit rate, even at long range.

Despite popular opinion, the military as a whole sucks at shooting (including "special people"), and there's not much translation between military shooters using 2 MOA 7.62 semi autos with reletively poor bullets, and having to shoot in terrible conditions- to a decently skilled hunter using a 1moa bolt gun with high BC bullets that gets to choose when he shoots.

I bring up those guys because compared to "expert long range hunters" I'd put money on these guys every time. I also bring up these guys because many here present long range hunting as relatively easy given enough practice. That is ridiculous, and to your statement that these guys suck (I still call BS), well, Hodnett has killed probably more vermin than you and I put together, and Tubb? He has done the same, as he owns property where the wind never quits blowing.

For anyone to represent that with adequate amounts of practice you can make one shot hits, in wind, ever time is once again ridiculous.

I've watched, multiple times, these military guys that "suck", shoot and kill prarie dogs out to 800 meters (not one shot kills necessarily either), and they most definitely do not suck. That includes guys from other countries that you've never seen before I'm sure. I have.

Last edited by JGRaider; 03/29/17.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am confused where does long range, and 300 yards with a 308 meld?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those 2 fewer inches of wind drift a 300 mag gets you wouldn't have killed that bull. Quartering away shots are difficult, even on a target as big as an elk. Miss one way you blow up a hind quarter and lose a lot of meat (and possibly lose the animal because elk can run a long way after a Texas Heart Shot) and a miss the other way and you get a clean miss like the hunter in this video got.

Growing up in Wyoming, shooting with wind becomes part of your DNA. The shooter took responsibility for his miss. He took the same shot twice and missed. If you ever get the opportunity for a second shot after a miss and you make the same exact shot, you'll get the exact same results.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 03/30/17.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Karma will get every guy on this thread who says it can't or won't happen to him.

I've had mine that is for sure... I've also had some phenomenal shots as well...

I.e. - if you say that you haven't missed a shot yet, either you don't hunt enough, or you are just not being honest with yourself, and others smile

Last edited by Spotshooter; 03/30/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Take it from one who has probably instructed more soldiers and run more qual ranges for more weapons (weapons systems) than anybody else on this board, there is truth in this statement.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love this thread. Guy does more in a week than most will do in a lifetime, self included. All that's missing is [bleep] on the couch, three oh not so great, and the Alaskan Uhmpa Lumpa.....

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

Take it from one who has probably instructed more soldiers and run more qual ranges for more weapons (weapons systems) than anybody else on this board, there is truth in this statement.

Used to be the instructor for my unit for ranges and this is so true. Surprised I don't have nightmares from experiences at the zero range.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I helped some primary marksmanship instructors out one time with a bunch of 18-20 year old Marine air wingers...holy $hit-I felt safer in Iraq than I did on that range.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I once took a summer job training ROTC officers in Armor ( Tank Gunnery Ft Knox Kentucky ). It was is the 80 s. I bet it would have been safer 2 have anal sex with Freddy Mecury.

Last edited by Angus1895; 04/13/17.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,603
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.