-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

NW Colorado elk unit statistics are full of people who..................... shall we say are dreamers?

There are 150 people ahead of you(KC) fighting for 16 tags a year in the preference, plus the hybrid 4. It could take 9 years to get drawn for 201 for someone with 19 points currently.

If it were me, I'd submit an application change and take the 19 points for unit 2 muzzleloader. Buy a muzzloader and have fun over the summer shooting it! AND be out of the depressing CO elk point game.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
KC---mailed my moose application today. Unit 28 bull--rifle. Bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We all put in for an elk Preference Point as 1st choice, Unit 12 cow tag 2nd, which we should all get.

Some/most/all of us will get an OTC bull tag as well.

I put in for a buck tag for Unit 4 or 12, I forget. I'd look at the receipt and figure out which but I'm here and it's back home. Others may put in for a deer tag as well, particularly Daughter #1.

Don't know if anyone is putting in for antelope Preference Points as we all have adequate Preference Points for our needs and we won't be hunting antelope in Colorado this year anyway. Going back to WY with a couple (hopefully) doe tags in my pocket. Others are getting doe tags as well.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'm sitting in the middle of no-man's land with 10 elk points. I'll probably do preference points this year and think more seriously about some sort of compromise strategy next year or in the coming years, near term.

Burned my deer points a while ago so only 2 points there.

At 56, I'm looking hard at getting out of the points game in CO sooner than later.

Last edited by Akbob5; 03/29/17.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by colorado bob
KC---mailed my moose application today. Unit 28 bull--rifle. Bob

bob:

Good Luck

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I drew my CO bull moose tag a few years back, after 16 years of accumulation PP and weighted PP's.

I hope to draw a trophy pronghorn unit in SE CO this season, with my 18 pref points it should happen this year. Endless point creep has been my nemesis for years now. Last year with 17 points I thought it was a sure thing, but someone drew one of the hybrid tags, and I ended up the odd man out.

For deer, it will be a late season whitetail tag for my farm in SE CO- draw is usually easy with no PP's.

If the trail cam picks up elk movement on my farm, I will buy an OTC tag.

At age 70, it's time to start burning up those accumulated pref points and go hunting!

Last edited by Bighorn; 03/30/17.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bighorn

I hope to draw a trophy pronghorn unit in SE CO this season, with my 18 pref points it should happen this year. Endless point creep has been my nemesis for years now. Last year with 17 points I thought it was a sure thing, but someone drew one of the hybrid tags, and I ended up the odd man out.

You must be applying for one of the same tags in that area that I am that require that many points.

I think that 3 or so years ago either of us could have drawn either of those hunt codes.

I put in for Purgatoire this go round.

Good Luck!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Purgatoire here as well!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is the computer system just as bad as in years past? I petitioned CO CPW to drop their vendor from Dallas, but my pleas fell on deaf ears.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Sako76
I put in for NR Unit 12 third combined buck mule deer with no points, I doubt I'll draw and get a PP. Bull elk is OTC, hopefully the outfitter will have Landowner tags! If I can't get a buck deer tag I might get an OTC cow tag. Good luck all!
What Guide in Unit 12 has "Landowner Tags?" Also, Unit 12 has always been a draw for Cow tags. Has that changed? Good luck with your Mulie draw.

Last edited by ro1459; 03/30/17.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Getting together with my 2 sons tomorrow night to submit our Archery either sex elk tag. We each have one preference point which is enough to get us in our unit. My second time and my boys first. Waited a long time for this.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm 57 so the idea of collecting points for me is a dream. I want to hunt something every year I have left so I'm not picky. I usually draw the unit I want for something and then hit the leftover/OTC tags that are left. So far it has been successful, and I have never not hunted. For me I just want to fill the freezer and if I get lucky and get a trophy, so much the better.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's my plan as well. If I hit two points for something other than sheep, something has gone wrong.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by KC
Originally Posted by warmutt

Am I correct in thinking that drawing on a second choice won't use up your preference points???

That's correct, second choice and subsequent choices do not use preference points.

Thank you. Semper Fi

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 30338
That's my plan as well. If I hit two points for something other than sheep, something has gone wrong.

You old farts should live a little.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by 30338

You old farts should live a little.

I had two sheep tags= 1 nice ram. A goat tag=not so big, a moose tag=a cow, and a 201 elk tag= a 343 bull.Killed plenty of antelope and mulies

Other than a bear,which I don't want, I can't think of any thing else .I do have a good Whitetail ML buck hunt late this year.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/03/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Had I moved to CO earlier in life, maybe but sheep, goats, moose really don't interest me. If I win the lottery....nah still wouldn't spend the money on a govener's tag ,etc. just apply in more states for elk and deer. Besides I have to squirrel money away for tow college degrees, two weddings, that alone will be a small fortune. Hell by the time my daughters are married I'll probably need a walker to get down the isle, I started really late in life.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Better late than never!

And PS, I was just yanking '338's chain.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I knew you were. Good luck in your draws. Hope to see you at Don's place sometime.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Better late than never!

And PS, I was just yanking '338's chain.

Yea,I knew.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 57 invisible), 2,130 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,339
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.