Hop To
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
http://www.gunsinternational.com/search-results.cfm

Customer of mine is thinking of buying this, then having Briley sleeve it for 28 ga, deepen the chambers etc.,,.

Don't ask me why. Stock's been added to (crappily, IMHO) and WTH is he gonna do if/when something breaks?? Briley quoted him something like $800-900 to do the tubes/chamber. He's gonna have $2300 in this thing before he fires a shot..

Personally - I can't see it.. But I'm not educated in English SXSs and have never heard of this maker before..

Anybody have some knowledge on this one so I can maybe advise him better?

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Which one Lee, your link opens a full page of ads

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
It's the W. Summers & Son English SXS...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It looks like a am Scott lock. Quick research shows summers was in business for about 30 years but not much else than that.

I don't know if I'd go to the trouble of tubing it

I'd load some no 20 gauge rounds in roll crimped shells and kill grouse

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I wouldn't give $1000 because of the stock. I'm OCD though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
stock is pretty ugly, at that..

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The stock is bad, but the lock, if a Scott is pretty worthy

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Gotta agree. Aside from the scabbed together stock (which I could learn to live with if I had to) the biggest detriment to me would be the short 26" barrels. I would hope someone didn't bob the original barrels and lost the chokes as a result because I would certainly want to shoot/hunt it before lining it to 28 gauge. (Such a trick would undoubtedly turn it into an unbalanced club IMO.)

Besides, it's a straight wristed English sidelock- and they don't fall out of the huckleberry bushes every day.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have to say I have no experience with a sidelock with the side plates so short... IIME they need to be long for access to the locks. What I am saying is I think it is not a true sidelock?

It was a beautiful gun but I would not touch it for that money.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm sorry but a decent English gun should have a decent piece
of wood on it not a jigsaw puzzle and it goes without saying that $2300 will buy ALOT more gun that this mystery piece here.

I can't put my finger on it but I think the gun is hiding multiple issues as stated above. I would not put ANY money into a Damascus barreled, 2.5 inch chambered shotgun much less pay $1350.

Last edited by krupp; 03/29/17.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
From reading the ad my take is it is not Damascus barreled but made to look like it. I'm with krupp, something hinky about the gun.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by krupp
I'm sorry but a decent English gun should have a decent piece
of wood on it not a jigsaw puzzle and it goes without saying that $2300 will buy ALOT more gun that this mystery piece here.

I can't put my finger on it but I think the gun is hiding multiple issues as stated above. I would not put ANY money into a Damascus barreled, 2.5 inch chambered shotgun much less pay $1350.
And I'm totally in your camp on that one..

I'm trying (gently/tactfully) to inform this guy that he's MUCHO better off with a different SXS than this one..

And that stock is a complete turnoff, just by itself..

Thanks all - for the honest opinions.. Best wishes.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looks like at one time it was a nice shotgun. The Brits didn't put all that effort on the outside and then crap it up on the inside. Boxlock with fake side plates, not all that uncommon. Never would get your money out of fixing it up-new stock-but some have spent money on worse investments. As Gnoahhh mentioned tubes would probably ruin the balance, but Briley makes short tubes that wouldn't.

The problem comes when a top lever spring or something else goes South and then you need a Smith that knows what they are doing to make it. Briley can do it. Soft metal, so if you shoot it a lot, it would need tightened up on occasion.

Money pit, and doubt if you would run into too many others that have one. But if you have the money, as a friend says, it's just another bag on the Queen Mary. I'd be willing to guess the balance is better than good. It has the look.

I'd walk away and spend the money on a good Spanish SXS.

Last edited by battue; 03/29/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by battue

I'd walk away and spend the money on a good Spanish SXS.

In the end I would too, probably, unless I had a pocketful of hundreds I didn't know what else to do with. That kind of money would buy me a fun day in the saloons here in town.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I agree false side plates on a boxlock action. Stock extension not that uncommon on English guns. Frankly his best bet is push for his best price buy it have it inspected by someone that can confirm condition and verify the proof is correct. Then shoot the gun as is using rst low pressure 2 1/2" shells. It should be fine for grouse and quail. If he's wanting to shoot heavy loads for wild pheasant etc Find another gun. Just my .02

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cdb
From reading the ad my take is it is not Damascus barreled but made to look like it. I'm with krupp, something hinky about the gun.

This is how I read "Damascus print barrel Nitro proofed" as well. I'd leave it as is and shoot RST 2-1/2" loads. If it's all there, it would make a handy little partridge and timberdoodle gun. $1350 is double what I'd pay. There are many fine sxs shotguns that can be hunted and, if cared for, will appreciate in value faster than inflation. This isn't likely to be one of those.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Indeed. That's the thing about buying a gun fresh out of England- if it's still in proof you can trust the barrels no matter what they're made of. But beware of English guns that have resided in the States for a while- who knows whether the bores have been honed within an inch of their life.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
He many have more than $2300 by the time he is done.

More, but better for sure and at $5700, just a couple more bags.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...delock-sxs-20-gauge.cfm?gun_id=100824410

laissez les bons temps rouler
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Have him look here. Top notch outfit that caters to the more reasonably priced English doubles.

http://www.hillrodandgun.com/

Conduct is the best proof of character.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (30Gibbs, 10gaugemag, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 35 invisible), 2,803 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,633
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.