Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Folks:

I am pleased to announce that the latest exclusive Campfire column by Wayne van Zwoll (WvZ), entitled "DEER RIFLES THAT ENDURE" is now available for reading (please click link above).

Please use this thread to ask WvZ questions about the piece. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Thanks again, Wayne!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not a question, but a comment: I loved that article. It reminded me that it is about time I took my inherited Marlin 1893 out to kill another deer, and I may do just that over Easter. The last deer I took with that rifle was a fallow I bounced out of cover at only a handful of yards, and dropped from full gallop. The rifle points and swings so naturally that it was like dropping a flushed bird with a shotgun.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Great article. Old rifles have a soul! If they could only tell their stories.

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 04/05/17.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As a big fan of classic rifles, I thoroughly enjoyed this article.

The anecdotal hunting stories mixed in with the historical facts made for a great read. Thank you, sir.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love the Winchester 94, Marlin 336, and Savage 99. Most of my hunting has been done with those three.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Nice article, well written. This year I am hunting a 60 year old rifle, made when I was 2! Hopefully it will help me feel a little more like dad and grandpa are hunting with me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought the Krag came out in 1892.

oops... I misread the text of the article, hence my post. I saw the line: "...the .303 Savage, which appeared in 1895. Three years earlier the Krag-Jorgensen..." and read it as "...the .303 Savage, which appeared in 1895. Three years earlier than the Krag-Jorgensen..."

so, never mind....

Last edited by Bill Poole; 04/09/17.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I too enjoyed the article. My son and I both hunt with .30-06 rifles, his is a Model of 1917 that was "sporterized" long ago.

The only rifles I hunted with last season were a .30-06 and the .30-30 Glenfield. I enjoy using the older rifles and cartridges.

Guy

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
nice read Wayne!

Kinda to quote my old buddy Kaywoodie:

" Don't trust a rifle made after 1947..."

Lotta wisdom in there...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I share Wayne's "come home" to the "old but still good" rifles and calibers of decades ago. As I aged, my goals of using the latest and greatest faded over to those of my father and my youth. There is something more satisfying in using a rifle that is over a hundred years old and a cartridge that is considered obsolete when the animal in the hunt is yours. My last elk was taken at 174 yards with a 40-82 WCF single shot and my last deer also with a single shot in 30-40 Krag. I have yet to be sucessful with a 1886 in 33 WCF, but there is always next year. A good read indeed.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wayne, Great article!
While some of the younger generation are discovering $1500 AR's in 30-30 wannabe calibers, I have become enamored with take-down Savage 1899's and the 300 Savage caliber. Truly a great rifle to carry, surprisingly accurate, and most important, the caliber is very effective on game. Mine was built in 1931 and wears an old Redfield peep. I carried it on a Florida hog hunt last month. Pretty good chance this will go on a moose hunt next fall.
The rifle shoots both 150 and 180 grain bullets with good accuracy. I have settled on a moderate load of Varget pushing 150 grain Partitions.
In a more contemporary note, one of my grandsons used a Remington 700 270, that I bought around 1974, wearing its second barrel and 4th stock, to take his first whitetail buck, last fall. That rifle has a lot of miles and much of what I know about reloading, was learned with it. I have not always been a wise and conservative shooter. Yet, like the 1899, it is reliable and is building its own karma.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
While I routinely hunt and shoot sporting clays with 100 year old doubles my vintage rifles have been confined to Pre64 M70's. I recently added a M94 38-55 with a full octagon barrel and a M71 348 to the mix and am looking forward to getting both of these into the deer woods this fall.

In these days of the synthetic stocked rifle in .300 Super Duper Magnum with a Hubble type range finding scope it's nice to know that what worked 100 years ago will still work today.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I enjoy reading anything written by Wayne van Zwoll. Another informative fine read and thank you, Sir.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That was very nice.
Thanks Wayne.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

W
WvZ Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Not a question, but a comment: I loved that article. It reminded me that it is about time I took my inherited Marlin 1893 out to kill another deer, and I may do just that over Easter. The last deer I took with that rifle was a fallow I bounced out of cover at only a handful of yards, and dropped from full gallop. The rifle points and swings so naturally that it was like dropping a flushed bird with a shotgun.

Thank you, Dan. The 1893 Marlin is one of my favorites!.... WvZ

W
WvZ Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
That was very nice.
Thanks Wayne.

Much obliged for the note, Hammerdown.... WvZ

W
WvZ Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
I enjoy reading anything written by Wayne van Zwoll. Another informative fine read and thank you, Sir.

Thank you for the kind words, Adk! Good hunting! .... WvZ

W
WvZ Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by GSPfan
While I routinely hunt and shoot sporting clays with 100 year old doubles my vintage rifles have been confined to Pre64 M70's. I recently added a M94 38-55 with a full octagon barrel and a M71 348 to the mix and am looking forward to getting both of these into the deer woods this fall.

In these days of the synthetic stocked rifle in .300 Super Duper Magnum with a Hubble type range finding scope it's nice to know that what worked 100 years ago will still work today.

GSP, I like old M70s too. Alas, just about all lever-actions and bolt guns built before 1964 have become frightfully expensive. The price of procrastination in buying old guns can be high and painful!..... WvZ

W
WvZ Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Wayne, Great article!
While some of the younger generation are discovering $1500 AR's in 30-30 wannabe calibers, I have become enamored with take-down Savage 1899's and the 300 Savage caliber. Truly a great rifle to carry, surprisingly accurate, and most important, the caliber is very effective on game. Mine was built in 1931 and wears an old Redfield peep. I carried it on a Florida hog hunt last month. Pretty good chance this will go on a moose hunt next fall.
The rifle shoots both 150 and 180 grain bullets with good accuracy. I have settled on a moderate load of Varget pushing 150 grain Partitions.
In a more contemporary note, one of my grandsons used a Remington 700 270, that I bought around 1974, wearing its second barrel and 4th stock, to take his first whitetail buck, last fall. That rifle has a lot of miles and much of what I know about reloading, was learned with it. I have not always been a wise and conservative shooter. Yet, like the 1899, it is reliable and is building its own karma.

Thank you for the note, Fishdog. I too like the .300 Savage. It's taken a lot of game bigger than the whitetails it's commonly paired with in print! .... Wvz

W
WvZ Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by TCRken
I share Wayne's "come home" to the "old but still good" rifles and calibers of decades ago. As I aged, my goals of using the latest and greatest faded over to those of my father and my youth. There is something more satisfying in using a rifle that is over a hundred years old and a cartridge that is considered obsolete when the animal in the hunt is yours. My last elk was taken at 174 yards with a 40-82 WCF single shot and my last deer also with a single shot in 30-40 Krag. I have yet to be sucessful with a 1886 in 33 WCF, but there is always next year. A good read indeed.

Thank you, TCRken. I've not used a .40-82, but, like the .33 Win., it seems a well-designed cartridge. Clearly adequate for elk! .... Wayne

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
637 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,863 guests, and 1,408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.