Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Looking for a rough idea of priceing for having barrels on an O/U or SxS shotgun reduced in length and than threaded for choke tubes?

Recommendations for a shop to do the work? Thanks.

Adam

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
What has your Google-fu told you so far? Not trying to be a smartass, but I found myself starting to type the request into the search engine but stopped myself, thinking "why should I?"

Briley immediately comes to mind.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yes, Briley web site has pricing (qualifiers for unusual conditions) I would think w/o looking you would be into it for at least $500

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cut them off and their regulation for POI has probably changed. If so, it is going to require barrel specific screw chokes to correct. If you are looking to get it done for less than $500 Briley isn't the place. If you are looking to have it done right, Briley is.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Some 15 years ago, perhaps more, I asked my dealer to ship my 12 Superposed to Briley for choke tubes, no cut on the 28" gun. Dealer made me a counter proposal. He said your Browning is nice, pre salt, and I can give you a long trade in. Look at the new Beretta 687 SP IV. Lighter than the Browning, gorgeous wood, and already choked with no wait. Like I said, long trade in, Beretta discounted, I traded for a couple of hundred out the door.

Took my new shotgun home and next day I shot a round of clays. A few days later, I hunted blue (scaled) quail near Alpine, TX. To say that I was happy would have been an understatement. Plus, if needed, I can use steel shot in the Beretta. Verboten in older Browning's.

I can understand there could be reasons to go with chokes. One might be an inherited gun with family history. If your reasons are solid in your mind, rest assured that Briley does good work.

Best,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
duplicate, deleted

Best,

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 03/31/17.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
that story sounds even better, the second time..... smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mike Orlen Amherst, Mass. will do the work at about half the cost of Briley and the shortest turn around time. He has done work on some of my high end sxs's, I trust him.

Unless you want the barrels shorter he shouldn't need to shorten them.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sorry about that, jt

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'll also point out that longer barrels are the rage in double guns now. 26" barrels are selling at a discount.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by erich
Mike Orlen Amherst, Mass. will do the work at about half the cost of Briley and the shortest turn around time. He has done work on some of my high end sxs's, I trust him.

Unless you want the barrels shorter he shouldn't need to shorten them.

I have had at least 30 tubes done by Orlen... Never again.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,925
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.