Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The bill is going to Branstad's desk. Granted, it's only straight-walled cartridges, but it's an improvement over the current shotgun slug/limited handgun choices/muzzleloader regulations. http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...tridge-rifle-deer-hunting-iowa/99989680/

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep pushing and soon you will have all cartridges ok'd by the powers that be.

Points we used in Wisconsin:

*It is a lot easier for the young hunters shooting a lower recoiling rifle to be good marksmen than with a heavier recoiling shotgun*

*Better marksmanship will lead to more practice, cutting down on wounded deer*

*In Wisconsin it appears to have cut down on the excessive gunfire in the areas that were previously shotgun only* (Eliminating the empty the pump gun syndrome)

*It will be easier for the female hunter to participate if she doesn't have to flinch under the heavier recoil of a shotgun*

*One can purchase 20 rifle rounds at a good price vs 20 rounds of sabots*

*Since there will be "no illegal" use of rifle rounds in a shotgun area, conservation wardens will be free to follow up on other pressing problems that crop up*

There are many other points that can be presented as to why rifles of all calibers should be ok'd such as the Lehigh Valley study etc.

Good Luck in Iowa in your quest to have rifles ok'd for hunting.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I think a bigger point is that you can hunt coyotes with a 50BMG in Iowa, but you can't use a 30/30 for deer.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Chainsaw
Keep pushing and soon you will have all cartridges ok'd by the powers that be.

Points we used in Wisconsin:

*It is a lot easier for the young hunters shooting a lower recoiling rifle to be good marksmen than with a heavier recoiling shotgun*

*Better marksmanship will lead to more practice, cutting down on wounded deer*

*In Wisconsin it appears to have cut down on the excessive gunfire in the areas that were previously shotgun only* (Eliminating the empty the pump gun syndrome)

*It will be easier for the female hunter to participate if she doesn't have to flinch under the heavier recoil of a shotgun*

*One can purchase 20 rifle rounds at a good price vs 20 rounds of sabots*

*Since there will be "no illegal" use of rifle rounds in a shotgun area, conservation wardens will be free to follow up on other pressing problems that crop up*

There are many other points that can be presented as to why rifles of all calibers should be ok'd such as the Lehigh Valley study etc.

Good Luck in Iowa in your quest to have rifles ok'd for hunting.

Your first two points are my primary arguments, especially as a reloader. My daughters LOVE to hunt - but are NOT fans of the recoil of even a 20 gauge slug gun. I'm already working on loads for my .357 Max in a carbine for them to use on deer that have much more manageable recoil and put the bullet where they tell it to go. They both can hammer rabbits at 50 yds offhand with their .22 LR rifles, so I'm not concerned about their bullet placement skills.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I think a bigger point is that you can hunt coyotes with a 50BMG in Iowa, but you can't use a 30/30 for deer.

A-freaking-men

"We don't allow rifles for deer hunting because they aren't as safe as shotgun slugs. The projectiles travel MUCH farther from rifles." BS

Selmer

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Handgun cartridges currently legal

Handguns: Center-fire handguns .357 caliber
or larger, shooting straight wall ammunition
with an expanding-type bullet. Minimum barrel
length for all handguns is 4 inches. No shoulder
stock or long barrel modifications are allowed.
Only the following center-fire cartridges may
be used: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .375
Winchester, .38 Super, .40 S&W, .401 Powermag,
10 mm Auto, .41 Remington Magnum, .41
Action Express, .44 S&W Special, .44 Remington
Magnum, .44 Automag, .444 Marlin, .445
Super Mag, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Super Mag,
.45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Silhouette, .451
Detonics, .454 Casull, .45-70 Govt., .460
Rowland, .460 S&W Mag, .475 Widley Magnum,
.475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action
Express, .50 Linebaugh, .50 Beowulf and .500
S&W Mag

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER

S&W Mag

It will be interesting to see if the list is expanded beyond these cartridges to include options such as .45-70 or .38-55.

Selmer

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

45-70 is listed already. A 375 Winchester in an Encore......handloaded with spitzers....would work for some extended range.

Originally Posted by selmer

S&W Mag

It will be interesting to see if the list is expanded beyond these cartridges to include options such as .45-70 or .38-55.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
So is the 450 bushmaster legal?

selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good question. I don't know the answer.

Selmer

IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
450 Marlin is also a great straightwall case cartridge, though I dont see it listed.......Hb

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by selmer

S&W Mag

Funny that the .375 is listed, but not the .38/55.

Funnier still that anyone working on this had ever even heard of the .401 Powermag!

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Here in Minnesota about 1/2 the state is handguns/muzzle loader/shotgun only. I am of somewhat mixed feelings about that. I can do almost anything with a muzzle loader or handgun I can do with a CF rifle.a few years back I killed four n my neighborhood with a ML rifle. Worked to perfection. But... When you are working with an over population situation what would be ideal is legal baiting and a down loaded .223 with a suppressor. That's something already being done by the people commercially reducing populations in the metro area.

The last three years I have killed four/year with a crossbow. That's handy because you can start n mid-September. The year II killed four with the ML I did it in December and it was really cold. I had four hanging frozen solid all at once. Skinning and butchering frozen deer when it's below zero is not fun. In about an hour I can zip them out of the hide and have them in pieces in a cooler and on ice. So, doing four in a week with a .223 would be easy enough.

I down loaded the ML so that it was quieter and the neighbors had no idea. With the crossbow, I had two out of the lot that made it onto someone else's property. Getting permission to recover them was no issue, but I don't like to bother them.

Just legalizing rifles in the shotgun zone won't do it for me. Cutting the noise alone could. Cutting the noise and legalizing baiting in over population situations is the right thing because not bothering people who may not appreciate what you are doing is only being neighborly and considerate of them.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
A few years ago all of southeast Wis. went from shotguns to rifles. The hunter numbers are extremely high in most of that area. When rifles became legal, most thought accidents would go way up. They did not go up, they actually went down. ( Athough they went down where rifles were always legal but they dont need to know that) . Some of the theories are : many shotgun slugs are 365 gr. of lead. The ave. rifle bullet is 1/3 that . There is 1/3 the shrapnel flying around with a rifle bullet. Also , as time goes on, rifle bullets are actually getting smaller. A 100 Gr .243 Win. is plenty , even an 80 TSX is plenty. It also seems reasonable that with a rifle , you may be a bit more cautious than using a shotgun across a 1 mi. wide open area, but a shotgun is still just as dangerous .

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It is done.

Governor Signs Two Fireams-Related Bills Into Law

[Linked Image]

HF 475 is the bill that makes it legal to use certain rifles, those that fire “straight wall” cartridge calibers to hunt deer in the state.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I didn't see anything listed about action type. Will you guys be able to use semi autos?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Praise be. I put this together years ago to comply with Iowa's irrational laws and not have to use a front stuffer.

I'll just get a Pro Hunter shoulder stock and carry on.
This set-up was an easy 200-yder as is and should be even better fired from the shoulder.

Oh yes, and a different scope.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Although, as I understand it, of the four different deer seasons a rifle firing a straight walled cartridge is only legal for two of them, the 1st and 2nd so-called "shotgun" seasons, both in December.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

325 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 31 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,452
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.