Print Thread
Hop To
J
jt402 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Preface: I'm an old fart bumping eighty. I have aged into a candy. I have a pacemaker and am on the requisite blood thinners. Although shooting a heavy target loaded 20 or 12 doesn't hurt to shoot, both bruise me up rather ugly (remember the blood thinners). I have used a model 42 .410 to open the last two dove seasons. I have had a ball, but I need to keep shots around 20-25 yards for best results. Sometimes the dove don't cooperate.

I have been considering a nice 28 gauge, then I ran across the short shot shells option. I have my favorite early sixties Browning Pigeon Grade 20 choked IC/M and a Beretta 687 SP IV with multiple screw in chokes in 12 gauge. Either of these two should handle the light, short loads easily. I understand that the several pumps and semi autos that I have will not do so.

Although the Beretta would be a pussycat with the 2 1/2" loads, I'm thinking more along the idea of the Browning. I love that gun! Made in '62 the chokes were made for fiber wads. It is a bit tighter than later guns made for plastic wads. I'm thinking the gun could benefit from the 2" spreader loads at .28 gauge horsepower. I really do not want to pad this gun. I intend to leave it as is to my granddaughter, who shows indications of being a 6' lady at maturity.

All this to get here. Have you or any of yout friends used the short shells, either gauge, for either targets or hunting. Your input will be appreciated. A flat or two will be a great deal cheaper than a new gun, BUT ONLY IF THEY WORK. Ps. Both guns have 3" chambers. I understand frequent chamber cleaning. I normally use 2 3/4 shells in both.

THANKS,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have used a couple 12 gauge English game guns years ago chambered for 2" and 2 1/2" shells. Rather than re-cut the chambers and forcing cones I simply learned how to make short shells. (Depending on exterior barrel contours, lengthening chambers/forcing cones may or may not be a safe thing to do on alight game gun.) I found that the Brits were on to something as those light(er) loads of 7/8 ounces of shot killed doves, quail, grouse, and the occasional pheasant with as much alacrity as "standard" 1 1/8+ ounce loads- something any 20 or 28 gauge user can readily attest to.

I've slowed down pouring shot into the sky at trap, skeet, and SC's, but when I do so with a 12 gauge anymore it is always with 7/8oz. 2 3/4" handloads. When I switched to them back 15 years ago or so I found my scores improved somewhat and when at the loading bench I am tickled that in essence I'm getting a free shell with every eight that I load due to using 1/8oz. less than my previous standard of one ounce loads- no small consideration in an era of $35-40/bag of shot.

Not very macho, I know, but who cares?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've used the shorter shells from RST in 12 and 20 gauge, the spreader and regular. I try and use the smallest shot I think is appropriate for the task to increase the pellet count/pattern density, in the lighter payloads and slightly less velocity of the shorter shells. For hunting I don't think they have quite the killing power for say 40 or so yards out but otherwise they work pretty well. Of course I'm not the greatest shotgunner either. Sounds like a good way to go.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Before dealing with 2 1/2" shells I'd do some research on low recoil standard ammo, I believe that most ammo makers make them. I shoot nothing but 2 1/2" shells because that is what my guns are chambered for, I reload for them also. A 7/8 or 1 oz shell at 1100 fps will have nearly the same recoil no matter what length hull it is in.

Going to a gas operated semi-auto and low recoil ammo would be a better bet for you

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
J
jt402 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I appreciate the input. Im going to pick up a couple of boxes of Estate target loads for the 20 (7/8 oz @ 1150) and see how they pattern in size 8.5 for dove. I use 8.5 in 1/2 oz target loads with the .410 modified choke. I would like a little more range. Maybe the 20 will be soft enough and give me up to 35 yard kills.

If not, the Beretta with 1 oz loads should work. I'm not set up to load except for 12 ga, but I suppose that could change....

Thanks,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Jack, the important thing is that you're still in the game! Go git 'em :-)

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
These 1 1/4in mini shells are a hoot to shoot and will break clays further than most think. However, you can also think expensive.

https://www.aguilaammo.com/shotshell/

Last edited by battue; 04/05/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,023
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.