GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why are you ditching the Ford?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you're only going to keep it a year like the current one, get which ever one tickles your fancy. They should all last that long. wink

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Terryk

Being bought back by Ford its a lemon. It's been a nightmare

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RyanTX
If you're only going to keep it a year like the current one, get which ever one tickles your fancy. They should all last that long. wink

I usually keep vehicles for at least 8 years.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Similar question here but I am looking for used options in mid-teen$.

Montana MOFO
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If it is a new truck they all are okay for awhile. As long as they are in warranty at least.

I am considering a frame off restoration of a 1968 to 1970 GM truck with 4wd, 350 V8, whatever trans and rear ends I want. I can get one for either side of $25,000.00. For use on the farm and the little highway driving I do it will last me for the rest of my time.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Everyone has their favorite and their hate list. As soon as one brand is recommended someone will be along to tell you it's a piece of [bleep]. I went with Tundra.

Last time I purchased I wanted a fairly basic 4dr pickup with just a few options. By the time I priced what I wanted and what I was willing to pay I ended up with the tundra. I was near the end of the model year so was a little limited in choices, and most of the big 3 trucks were heavily optioned and more $$ than I was happy about, Toyota gave me the most choices in lightly optioned trucks. Plus I've had very good experience with Toyota in past.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have a 2012 Tundra SR5 four-door with the 6 1/2 ft bed and 4WD. It also has the TRD off-road package. We're well over 144K on the odometer and have done nothing to it except the scheduled service. We replaced the OEM tires at about 25K and are on our second set of Hankook DynaPro ATMs. I did trash the front skid plate 2 1/2 years ago, but that was my fault, not any failure of the truck. Living in the middle of nowhere, most of our miles are highway miles, but we do a lot of off-roading on BLM and National Forest roads, as well as on unimproved ranch roads and two-tracks.

If you want a truck that will last 8 years, I would strongly recommend that you look at the Tundra. Before we bought the Tundra we had a Tacoma 4WD on which we put over 248K miles over an eight year period. Other than scheduled maintenance, we only replaced the center CV joint in the rear drive shaft at a little over 100K miles because it was a little loose. It was still running like a watch when we sold it. (The trucks overlapped for about 3 years before we bought a Mercury Sable for a road car.)

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Everyone has their favorite and their hate list. As soon as one brand is recommended someone will be along to tell you it's a piece of [bleep]. I went with Tundra.

Last time I purchased I wanted a fairly basic 4dr pickup with just a few options. By the time I priced what I wanted and what I was willing to pay I ended up with the tundra. I was near the end of the model year so was a little limited in choices, and most of the big 3 trucks were heavily optioned and more $$ than I was happy about, Toyota gave me the most choices in lightly optioned trucks. Plus I've had very good experience with Toyota in past.

Toyotas are not exactly given away and are more expensive then the big 3 generally. That said they hold their value better . Toyota IMHO has taken a dip in quality and noticeably so.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by mudhen
We have a 2012 Tundra SR5 four-door with the 6 1/2 ft bed and 4WD. It also has the TRD off-road package. We're well over 144K on the odometer and have done nothing to it except the scheduled service. We replaced the OEM tires at about 25K and are on our second set of Hankook DynaPro ATMs. I did trash the front skid plate 2 1/2 years ago, but that was my fault, not any failure of the truck. Living in the middle of nowhere, most of our miles are highway miles, but we do a lot of off-roading on BLM and National Forest roads, as well as on unimproved ranch roads and two-tracks.

If you want a truck that will last 8 years, I would strongly recommend that you look at the Tundra. Before we bought the Tundra we had a Tacoma 4WD on which we put over 248K miles over an eight year period. Other than scheduled maintenance, we only replaced the center CV joint in the rear drive shaft at a little over 100K miles because it was a little loose. It was still running like a watch when we sold it. (The trucks overlapped for about 3 years before we bought a Mercury Sable for a road car.)

Looking very hard at one , chevy silverado and a 4 runner . After this past experience not rushing into anything.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by RyanTX

I usually keep vehicles for at least 8 years.

I was just teasing ya.

In a 1/2 ton, I'd be looking hard at the Tundra just on my personal experience with GM and Ford here at work and my friends experience with their Tundra's.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I hate to say it but my 2014 Ram is the best truck I've ever had. I bought it new, no issues and 90K+ miles as of this morning.

I've had 2 toyotas, a chevy, and a chit ton of fords.

Last edited by tzone; 04/06/17.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I am looking too. What I am finding is that chevy/GMC hold their value the best, followed by Ram, with Ford dragging up the rear. I am not really looking at Toyotas or Nissan, so I am not sure about their resale value. I'm not sure what that tells you, other than what the market will bear, but they all cost about the same new.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

What were the issues with the Ford?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by K1500
I am looking too. What I am finding is that chevy/GMC hold their value the best, followed by Ram, with Ford dragging up the rear. I am not really looking at Toyotas or Nissan, so I am not sure about their resale value. I'm not sure what that tells you, other than what the market will bear, but they all cost about the same new.

Toyota
Nissan
Chevy
Ford
Ram

I have looked this over carefully and that is the order it is. Chevy is little better then Ford in the Resale department.

A guy at work had his 2007 Tundra Tboned, he was almost killed This February. The Tundra had 180K on it and the insurance company gave him 17K for it. He bought another TUndra I wonder why?

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Poconojack

What were the issues with the Ford?

Baffling to say the least...driveline related. Cannot say anything else

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Does Ford have the capability to build one specifically for you with someone doing QC checks through the entire process knowing you had a lemon? Just a thought that if they'd essentially build one special for you with additional oversight it might be worth it. I have no idea if that's even a possibility though.

I've only had Ford trucks but I've had Dodge, Chevy, and Toyota fleet vehicles provided for me over the last 18yrs so I've dealt with those 4 dealerships. Our local Ford dealer has the best service dept followed by Toyota then Dodge. Our local GM dealer is just plain awful. They're slow and they often don't complete required and/or requested services when the vehicle is in their hands. Maddening! I've gotten to the point that the dealer is more important to me than what badge the vehicle wears.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I bought a new Ford in 2003. I had it in the shop for rusted out brake lines. That is normal for Minnesota.
We salt the roads a lot.
I test drove a new Ford with the Economy Boost engine, and I was very impressed.
If I ever wear out my F150 I would buy another one with the aluminum body.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by horse1
Does Ford have the capability to build one specifically for you with someone doing QC checks through the entire process knowing you had a lemon? Just a thought that if they'd essentially build one special for you with additional oversight it might be worth it. I have no idea if that's even a possibility though.

I don't think that is going to happen. I do not think it is a QC issue at all. I think it is a design issue that some cost accountant had something to do with.

WIth 5 digit mileage on it, the intake manifold ,hubs,axles, vacumn system have been replaced. I would be shocked if a another one would exhibit the same issues. That said at this point in the game not going to take that chance , not with something that costs this much. I drove all the brands mentioned about with the exception of the NIssan, it was so far ahead of whatever else I drove that it was silly.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have been a auto tech for many many years and they all have lemons. If it's designed and built by man it will have flaws. Find one you like and get it, you will end up putting money in any brand if you keep it long enough .

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Did it have the 5.0 V-8 or echo boost engine?Just curious.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by coobie

Did it have the 5.0 V-8 or echo boost engine?Just curious.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 04/07/17. Reason: No engine issues
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I bought a new 2011 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 with the 5.7L engine in Feb of 2012. So far I have replaced the factory BFG tires at 30,000 miles. If I had it to do over again, I'd more than likely choose the Tundra, even though it is a bit dated. However, I'd give them all a serious look.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by VAhuntr
I bought a new 2011 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 with the 5.7L engine in Feb of 2012. So far I have replaced the factory BFG tires at 30,000 miles. If I had it to do over again, I'd more than likely choose the Tundra, even though it is a bit dated. However, I'd give them all a serious look.

I am down to a Silverado or Tundra Crew Cab...both are almost the same price, the Silverado is loaded.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Are you going to use it much off road ? If so, Chevy/GMC's get little use by the folks that live around here. Toyotas, either the Tacoma or the Tundra and the opted out Fords seem to be the picks in the 1/2 ton catagory. Even Nissan's latest are more popular than the GMC products.
I'm a Dodge Ram fan. But in the half ton's I'd go with a Tundra with their TRD Pro Package. E

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
Are you going to use it much off road ? If so, Chevy/GMC's get little use by the folks that live around here. Toyotas, either the Tacoma or the Tundra and the opted out Fords seem to be the picks in the 1/2 ton catagory. Even Nissan's latest are more popular than the GMC products.
I'm a Dodge Ram fan. But in the half ton's I'd go with a Tundra with their TRD Pro Package. E

Might go that way...WIll start seriously shopping next week or so. Number one criteria is it has to be Dead Nutz reliable. I am not going to go thru a lemon law process ever again

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Check out the Titan.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mudhen

I have similar experience. My '08 Tundra TRD was bulletproof. I had almost 130k on it when it was totaled two weeks ago. I took my settlement and bought another '08 Tundra TRD with 113k on it. IMO, they are great pick-ups.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Toyotas are not exactly given away and are more expensive then the big 3 generally. That said they hold their value better . Toyota IMHO has taken a dip in quality and noticeably so.

I haven't found the tundra to be as expensive as a comparably equipped truck from the big 3. I've got a 2016 tundra and have had no problems as I would expect from a toyota. Between my (ex)wife and myself we've had three camry's and over 600,000 miles the sum total of the unscheduled maintenance on them has been one wheel bearing that went out at 160,000 miles on one of the. Given my experience you won't convince me that toyota's quality isn't light years ahead of anything GM, Ford, or Chrysler makes.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

I haven't found the tundra to be as expensive as a comparably equipped truck from the big 3. I've got a 2016 tundra and have had no problems as I would expect from a toyota. Between my (ex)wife and myself we've had three camry's and over 600,000 miles the sum total of the unscheduled maintenance on them has been one wheel bearing that went out at 160,000 miles on one of the. Given my experience you won't convince me that toyota's quality isn't light years ahead of anything GM, Ford, or Chrysler makes.

Overall going to be a much more reliable vehicle then the other three. That said the fit and finish and materials are way cheaper then they used to be. I have been buying vehicles from Toyota and Honda for years with no complaints other then my sons Tacoma which is borderline. Tundra is right up there with final price out the door compared to the other 3.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ive had a hankering to downsize to a half ton from a 3/4 ton lately and I can tell you from an unbiased view (don't favor any brand more than the next) truck shopping, the new 2017 F150 3.5 Eco wins hands down compared to the rest in fun factor, efficiency, price and options. Tundra......outdated and expensive as well as thirsty. Ram 1500......doesn't have a Cummins in it! Chevrolet.....boring.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Why would you downsize from a 3/4 ton?

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Today I went to a Dealer that sells multiple brands of vehicles. He had the exact Tundra and Silverado LT 1500 I had been looking at the past few weeks . He had a pretty good hill not far from the dealership and while not a tell all on performance it gave me a chance to see how well each would accelerate up a steep grade.

The Tundra was very truck like and its resulting ride, engine pulled smoothly up the very steep hill.

The Silverado was very smooth riding and the seats were exquisite as were the controls and dash layout. Going up the very steep hill the tranny was shifting a bit , that ecotec engine is a really bad idea, it felt like a rubber band.

The Chevy had a little more equip then the Tundra but not anything I would miss. It was a very tough decision so I took my wife to lunch and thought about it some more and decided on the Tundra. All in all they were both very nice trucks and I was glad to have the opportunity to drive both without going to the hassle of dealing with multiple car dealerships.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have an 09 F150 that I like quite a bit, but I had to rent a truck last week when I was doing some stuff on my land in Montana and they gave me a new Tundra. It was a pretty basic version of the Tundra and had the smaller V8 (I think 4.6), 4x4. I spent a lot of time either off road or hauling stuff from Helena to my cabin in the woods about 65 miles from Helena.

This is obviously very unscientific, but a few things about the Tundra stood out compared to my F150.

On the positive side, the ride on road was much smoother and it was plenty capable off road.

On the negative side, that 4.6 engine was not up to the job. It felt gutless on the highway, even unloaded, and got horrible mileage (worse than my F150). Something like 14 mpg overall. For a new vehicle (it had only 4000 miles on it) it was already starting to show quality issues-the rear doors would unlock randomly, the backup camera didn't always work when the truck was put in reverse and the seats felt like they had no padding.

It wasn't a bad truck at all, but if you're going Tundra I think the 4.6 is a bad move. Everything I've heard about the 5.7 engine makes it sound like you don't take a MPG hit by going with the bigger engine but you get much better power.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Remsen
I have an 09 F150 that I like quite a bit, but I had to rent a truck last week when I was doing some stuff on my land in Montana and they gave me a new Tundra. It was a pretty basic version of the Tundra and had the smaller V8 (I think 4.6), 4x4. I spent a lot of time either off road or hauling stuff from Helena to my cabin in the woods about 65 miles from Helena.

This is obviously very unscientific, but a few things about the Tundra stood out compared to my F150.

On the positive side, the ride on road was much smoother and it was plenty capable off road.

On the negative side, that 4.6 engine was not up to the job. It felt gutless on the highway, even unloaded, and got horrible mileage (worse than my F150). Something like 14 mpg overall. For a new vehicle (it had only 4000 miles on it) it was already starting to show quality issues-the rear doors would unlock randomly, the backup camera didn't always work when the truck was put in reverse and the seats felt like they had no padding.

It wasn't a bad truck at all, but if you're going Tundra I think the 4.6 is a bad move. Everything I've heard about the 5.7 engine makes it sound like you don't take a MPG hit by going with the bigger engine but you get much better power.

I have a friend that owns a 4.6 Tundra and raves about it FWIW, he lives outside of State College PA. He used to won Fords in fact that is all he ever owned until the Toyota

I had numerous cosmetic and just plain stupid QC issues with my 2016 F150. I had 2 interior panels( steering wheel surround and bottom of glove box panel) flat out loosen up and one fell on the passenger floor. The coup de etat was the vacumn leak which an engineer from Dearborn could not figure out. Until they replace the vacumn line system any F150 is going to potentially have the issue mine had maybe not to the same degree hopefully. I had both intake manifolds,hubs,IWE's, front axles, 2 ecm units, vacumn box, vacumn pump replaced in an effort to figure it out. They took a vacumn line from a truck that worked. If a manufacturer cannot fix a problem like this then they need to be flogged. The POS truck had 6500 on the odo.

The fit and finish on my Tundra is among the best I have seen in a long while. Toyotas might not match 80's stuff but they are superior to anything I drove in when comparing vehicles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (007FJ, 163bc, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,890 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,007
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.