Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The following is my opinion, and has not been researched.

90 % of all elk harvested each year are shot at 300 yards or less.
70% under 200 yards

MOLON LABE
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Alamosa said;
"The best elk hunting drill I know is - get your rifle off your shoulder and quickly get into position - standing, sitting, kneeling (prone probably won't be an option because there will be too much deadfall and low groundcover)."

Getting ready for my 1st elk Hunt, I came up with a practic drill that I believe helped me.

I set up a target at 50 yards, another at 100, and a
9" steel gong at 200.
Starting with the rifle slung on my shoulder, I got the gun up, chamber a round and put one round in the 50 yard target standing, then drop to kneeling and engage the 100 yard target with 1, and then sitting hit the gong once.
The target shots must be in an 8" circle (or it doesn’t count).
I quickly found out just how fast I could break each shot and consistently meet me accuracy requirements, and how to get in each position fast and efficient.

MOLON LABE
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
how many paper plates...

I always base that on how much sauerkraut and mustard I put on the 'dawg. A good one requires 4 paper plates.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
What ranges?
This is what I wrote.

The range you can hit 5 out of 5 shots is your limit. NO MISSES AT ALL!

How many plates?
I would say one plate for every position.
1. Prone, 2. sitting, 3. kneeling and 4. off-hand. So 4 plates.

Shoot at your first range. If you hit it 5 times, back up 50 or 100 years and do it again.
Keep backing up until you miss.

That's you you know what YOUR range is. With your gun from that shooting position.

Last edited by szihn; 04/06/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
RH, I'd not accept a personal limit of 300. I'd up my game. I mean why not? But that said in the majority of elk terrain I've ever seen that'd be a perfectly reasonable limit.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by szihn
What ranges?
This is what I wrote.

How many plates?

Shoot at your first range. If you hit it 5 times, back up 50 or 100 years and do it again.

That's you you know what YOUR range is. With your gun from that shooting position.

Yeah. I get that. But you also said.....

That's the test I gave to my clients years ago when I was doing a lot of guiding.

And I asked how you set it up, what ranges and how many shots were the intrepid nimrods allowed before you felt comfortable assigning them their 'special range' that you accommodated by giving them their 'special limit? ?

Last edited by huntsman22; 04/06/17.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What ranges?
This is what I wrote.

How many plates?

I come at it a little differently. Shooting prone off a backpack or bipod at the range doesn't mean you can do it at the same distance when you're on a snowy slope with a sharp rock under your crotch and the wind making your eyes water.

So I don't put much stock in "I can hit at 500 yards at the range 5 out of 5."

If you shoot enough, when you get in position and put the crosshairs on the target and assess the wind, light, and everything else, you'll know whether you should pull the trigger. Key words are "shoot enough."

There is no substitute. And no magical yardage.

Except to say that if you can't hit at a particular distance with good conditions at the range, that's obviously outside your envelope.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I know it would greatly depend on terrain but do you think a 300 yard personal limit is too restrictive for general Elk hunting?

For some it is, and for others it's too generous.

The trick is in knowing where you fall.

For me, it has various answers on various days and conditions.

I thnk you simply have to shoot, and know how well you shoot so you can call the shot so to speak.

Some days I"m good to 100 or so... some days 1000...

As to quick shots at fleeting targets, I've let a lot walk.. just because I don't like the odds. But thats just me. I don't have a 200 inch mule deer on the wall because of it... Doesn't bother me at all, I prefer that over wounding.

SO it could literally be passing a 50 yards shot but taking a 600 yard shot

Practive will give you the answer.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
I know it would greatly depend on terrain but do you think a 300 yard personal limit is too restrictive for general Elk hunting?

Get in some ( meaning quite a bit..) of trigger time if you can out to 500 yards ( if you have a rage that long) You will soon see that elk are a big target, and an easy slam dunk at 300 yards...

500..maybe not..but 300 is a chip shot.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
300 yards is a very good limit. Sight your rifle in at 200 yards and you are in good shape to 300 with a standard scope. If you have a tactical scope, then learn the ballistics, apply them and shoot as far as you are comfortable with.

All that being said, a lot depends on terrain, as far as distances. I have killed elk at 35 and at 443 and all distances in between.

I have killed four elk in Wyoming and the closest was 326, due to terrain. There was just no way to get closer in the treeless areas that I hunted. I once took me over three hours to get to 400 yards.

My rifles are dialed in to 550 yards, as that is the length of my range here at the house. I have never wanted to shoot over 300, though, and did it when I really had no other approach.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ingwe

Get in some ( meaning quite a bit..) of trigger time if you can out to 500 yards ( if you have a rage that long) You will soon see that elk are a big target, and an easy slam dunk at 300 yards...

500..maybe not..but 300 is a chip shot.
Note the part about practice... 100 yards is to far for many on deer....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check out the book 'Elk and Elk Hunting' by Wayne VanZwoll.
You will find the answer to this and to other questions that took many of us years to learn the hard way.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by sbhooper
300 yards is a very good limit. Sight your rifle in at 200 yards and you are in good shape to 300 with a standard scope.

Not necessarily. I just ran the numbers for a 168 grain TSX out of a .308.

With a 200-yard zero it's 9 inches low at 300. Not what I would call in good shape at 300.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
300 yards is a very good limit. Sight your rifle in at 200 yards and you are in good shape to 300 with a standard scope.

With a 200-yard zero it's 9 inches low at 300. Not what I would call in good shape at 300.

With that sight in on a 308 I have no trouble*** ringing the small 300 yard gong doing holdover with a 6x standard duplex Leupold.

*** Given a position allowing for a steady hold. It's the trajectory that isn't the problem.

Last edited by mathman; 04/06/17.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
300 yards is a very good limit. Sight your rifle in at 200 yards and you are in good shape to 300 with a standard scope. If you have a tactical scope, then learn the ballistics, apply them and shoot as far as you are comfortable with.

All that being said, a lot depends on terrain, as far as distances. I have killed elk at 35 and at 443 and all distances in between.

I have killed four elk in Wyoming and the closest was 326, due to terrain. There was just no way to get closer in the treeless areas that I hunted. I once took me over three hours to get to 400 yards.

My rifles are dialed in to 550 yards, as that is the length of my range here at the house. I have never wanted to shoot over 300, though, and did it when I really had no other approach.

"I have never wanted to shoot over 300, though, and did it when I really had no other approach."
This should say I never really wanted to shoot over 300, but since I had no other approach, and the day and conditions were good enough, once I settled in and read the conditions, and my stability/ability from that position, I realized the shot was make able that day.

Rather than I couldn't get any closer so I flung one.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mathman
With that sight in on a 308 I have no trouble*** ringing the small 300 yard gong doing holdover with a 6x standard duplex Leupold.

I don't doubt it. But holding over on an animal in the field is not a good strategy in my opinion, and just because some can hit steel at the range using holdover doesn't make the blanket statement "sight in at 200 and you're good to go at 300" correct.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

and I"ll verify, years of shooting 308 in matches, 168s drop 3moa from 200.... But knowing thats its pretty easy to hold on the spine or hairline and be fine.

I keep reading "terrain" I don't much get how terrain matters. Actual horizontal distance and wind effects would be about all I'd be worried about after I knew that my position that day was solid enough

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Lots of good advice thus far. I'd devote equal parts of my practice to hitting stuff quickly inside of 100 yards, getting into position quickly and hitting stuff at 200 yards, hitting stuff near your self-imposed limit, and getting a rangefinder into operation quickly.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff, what I meant when I mentioned terrain (would've been better to call it terrain/vegetation) was simply that most places I've hunted elk- several different areas in Oregon and in SW Colorado- there really wasn't much opportunity for shots over 300... especially if you add in "where the elk are". smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by rost495

For me, it has various answers on various days and conditions.

I thnk you simply have to shoot, and know how well you shoot so you can call the shot so to speak.

Some days I"m good to 100 or so... some days 1000...

As to quick shots at fleeting targets, I've let a lot walk.. just because I don't like the odds. But thats just me. I don't have a 200 inch mule deer on the wall because of it... Doesn't bother me at all, I prefer that over wounding.

SO it could literally be passing a 50 yards shot but taking a 600 yard shot

Practive will give you the answer.

^^^^^

This makes sense

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 51 invisible), 1,915 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,727
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.