24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Sitka Stormfront Jacket has great reviews, but I haven't wanted to shell out $600.00 for it yet.

I've had great success with a couple of different Patagonia jackets.

I hate wearing rain pants when I'm moving, but when necessary I use Marmot Precip pants.

BP-B2

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I think I going to get that first lite SEAK jacket, not sure what ill get for pants yet though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KCBighorn
The Sitka Stormfront Jacket has great reviews, but I haven't wanted to shell out $600.00 for it yet.

I've had great success with a couple of different Patagonia jackets.

I hate wearing rain pants when I'm moving, but when necessary I use Marmot Precip pants.
$600? Does that include a servant to follow you around holding a large umbrella?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been using and abusing a set of the Sitka Dewpoint gear in Alaska and throughout the Rockies for the last three seasons and it has held up great. I would buy another set in a heartbeat.

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KCBighorn

I got the jacket and pants for 1/2 price a few years ago from Midway. Worked good for a day or two busting thru brush on the OR coast, then the DWR was shot and pants started leaking. Both jacket pockets were literally full of water, even fully closed/zipped.

Midway didn't want to hear about it. Sitka gave me a full refund. They offered another set to try, but I passed.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/19/17.
IC B2

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Anyone here still like using HH Impertech from durability, waterproofness, price perspective?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
YES

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tanner
I am still trying to figure that out, but I have been fairly impressed with my Westtcombe shell jacket. It's e-Vent rather than GoreTex, and it's been solid in some good downpours and repeated rains. I'm using the Kuiu Chugach pants but they're about on their last leg. My favorite rain gear is a Hilleberg Tarp UL-10 over my head when it's really raining hard, though laugh

HAHA I hear ya about the shelter. My Westcomb jacket is like 4-5 years old now and not quite as waterproof as it used to be after 250-300 days in the field, but thats quite a bit of use.

Looking to replace mine with the SEAK jacket.

As for rain pants I have yet to find anything that truly keeps me dry in busting wet brush for long periods of time. So I just keep using and abusing Marmot Precips with fully zips to keep the bit chunks off wink

Whatever you get makes sure its has full length zips up the legs. I hate 1/4 or even 1/2 zip pants.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Whatever you get makes sure its has full length zips up the legs. I hate 1/4 or even 1/2 zip pants.

+1

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The sad truth about all rain gear is that if you're hiking/moving and generating moisture inside of it, especially if you're wearing a backpack, you'll soon be as wet inside of the rain gear as you would if you weren't wearing any. Breathability works pretty well if you're skiing and the outside air has essentially zero humidity and the temperature differential between inside the rain gear and outside is very large. Doing anything that causes sweat while wearing rain gear in the absence of such differentials results in you being wet one way or the other.

Back in 1978 I wore my first GoreTex rain gear while spring brown bear hunting way out on the AK peninsula. On one long day far from camp while up in a snow field chasing a nice bear I damn near died from hypothermia because of the moisture failing to pass out through the fabric.

Since then I've owned 100% waterproof heavy fishing rain gear, Sitka Gear rain gear, Kuiu rain gear, HH Impertech, and REI E-vent rain gear. It's all a compromise so don't expect to remain fully dry and comfy inside if you're working up a sweat in the rain. So far the best option I've found after 4 decades of buying and trying everything is E-vent. YMMV so take it for what it's worth but that's my opinion based on first-hand experience.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My experience is that a guy's satisfaction with rain gear is directly tied to their style of hunting... if you are really active then what you wear MUST move moisture outward via vapor permeability and/or venting, and, conversely the guy who wants to sit for hours in the rain watching a spot MUST have actual waterproof gear... they are at odds IME... the two considerations have been locked in a zero-sum battle in every piece I've ever worn. Meaning, the more breathable, the less waterproof and vice versa.

I typically move slowly or not at all when actually hunting blacktails in the rain (my favorite time to hunt them) so I've put the premium on actual waterproof-ness and durability. That can be a bummer if strenuous exercise is required to GET TO the area that I'm gonna hunt slowly. I've yet to experience a shell that moves enough vapor out (especially if it's actually raining, where that mechanism usually breaks down as the fabric saturates) to be effective AND then keep me dry in an all-day drizzle. Not doubting what has been listed here is excellent and I'm certainly hoping for that miracle garment someday but I'm pretty jaded about it truly existing.

Not mentioned yet is the fart-chimney effect of most raingear. Wow. Manufacturers need to address that one before somebody dies out there.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jeff_O is correct. How the rain gear is to be used has a lot to do with what kind/brand/type of rain gear you choose. If you're going to be backpack hunting (the heading of this blog) you'll be wet no matter what kind of rain gear you choose if you're hiking/sweating in the rain while wearing a backpack. Don't expect miracles because they haven't been invented yet. TANSTAAFL

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with it really depends. Lots of brush calls for heavier denier (and heavier overall weight) rain gear; lots of heavy rain typically calls for stouter (heavier) rain gear. In the mountain west our rain typically is sudden, but generally doesn't last very long- for these conditions I use the lightest weight 3 layer rain gear available.

For lighter rain/drizzle/wet snow I prefer using a windshirt on the move over a rain jacket. It has enough water resistance (in the 300 HH range), but has many times the breathability (~20-40 cfm) of any rain jacket.

The military's clothing system has adapted the same strategy- they only call for using rain gear when they are stationary- on the move they utilize a water resistant windshirt or softshell.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by mtwarden
For lighter rain/drizzle/wet snow I prefer using a windshirt on the move over a rain jacket. It has enough water resistance (in the 300 HH range), but has many times the breathability (~20-40 cfm) of any rain jacket.

Absolutely.
The highest air permeability ratings (CFM) in a waterproof/breathable are in the tenths (like 0.2-0.5). Something like the Patagonia Houdini is in the 4 range. Some windshirts push 40-50 cfm as mtwarden noted. It's not good or bad, it's about picking what works for a given situation. Windshirts are so useful in the western US.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I know I live in dry , sunny Colorado, but we have had a few spells of spring snow / rain mix that lasted about a month each time. During a couple of these spells, I took it upon myself to wear or borrow anything that could be construed as waterproof or water resistant enough. In this there were softshell jackets, GTex, Event, FirstLite and others. For me, when real active the first lite 37.5 usually worked best followed by event. When conditions turned slushy it was probably event. Note, I didn't have the newest / greatest GTex.

Personally, I think a pine tree and a tarp are the best. The others just sort of depend. Some work really well in some conditions but not so well in others as alluded to above.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
90 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.