Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Hi guys,

Im looking to upgrade my rain gear, it rains where Im at and I want the best stuff I can get for hunting and fishing and even just hiking around. I need something that fits well because I hike a lot when I hunt but I also need to get it a little bigger so I can throw the jacket on over a down jacket.

I was looking at the Kuiu yukon set, seems durable and Id imagine the jacket could serve as a general shell jacket. I had the Chugach set but it got torn up after like 2 hunts last year, it just couldnt hold up to the thorns and branches.

waht are you using? what the top of the line right now? anybody have the Kuiu Yukon?

FWIW, my insulation layer is either a patagonia down jacket or a Kifaru lost park parka.

Thanks guys!!!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am still trying to figure that out, but I have been fairly impressed with my Westtcombe shell jacket. It's e-Vent rather than GoreTex, and it's been solid in some good downpours and repeated rains. I'm using the Kuiu Chugach pants but they're about on their last leg. My favorite rain gear is a Hilleberg Tarp UL-10 over my head when it's really raining hard, though laugh

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Firstlite SEAK. However, we will see when Kryptek Altitude gets in to Sporties.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'll check borhbof those out.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Firstlite SEAK. However, we will see when Kryptek Altitude gets in to Sporties.

Is the Kryptek altitude that new high end set they are comin gout with?

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
That first lite SEAK looks pretty sweet.

Last edited by AKPENDUDE; 04/09/17.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Despite what advertisers want us to believe, the truth is there is no best, just different. Every membrane and coating has different vapor permeability and water permeability attributes.

Match the membrane characteristics to your environment, durability needs, and activity level, maintain a good DWR, and that's the best you can do.

My favorites are Neoshell, eVent, and Powershield Pro--but they all do different things.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I got a yukon jacket about this time last year. It has kept me dry all over the state. I use it as a general shell as well as rain gear, and it does well in that role.

Jury is still out on durability.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by cwh2
I got a yukon jacket about this time last year. It has kept me dry all over the state. I use it as a general shell as well as rain gear, and it does well in that role.

Thanks, I think right now, the 2 best options are the SEAK and the Yukon. Seems like first lite dosent really make rain pants, unless I missed something.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Pnuma is a new company but I gave its Selkirk rain gear a try last season and have only good things to say about it. It is a quality piece of gear and is unbelievably breathable. The only down side is it is heavier than most of the other quality backpacking raingear but I think its durability and breathability more than makes up for its weight.

Before I bought the rain gear I emailed Pnuma Labor Day weekend with some questions. The VP of the company answered my questions within a few hours and gave me his contact information in case I ever needed to reach out to him in the future. I later put a rip in the back of my jacket with a big musky lure - don't ask, and Pnuma repaired it pronto with no questions asked.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by trf215
Pnuma is a new company but I gave its Selkirk rain gear a try last season and have only good things to say about it. It is a quality piece of gear and is unbelievably breathable. The only down side is it is heavier than most of the other quality backpacking raingear but I think its durability and breathability more than makes up for its weight.

Before I bought the rain gear I emailed Pnuma Labor Day weekend with some questions. The VP of the company answered my questions within a few hours and gave me his contact information in case I ever needed to reach out to him in the future. I later put a rip in the back of my jacket with a big musky lure - don't ask, and Pnuma repaired it pronto with no questions asked.

Checked them out. They look pretty solid but it would be cool to read some more reviews since theyre so new. I like the design and 600 bucks for the set ends up being cheaper than a KUIU or a First Lite set up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
Originally Posted by cwh2

Thanks, I think right now, the 2 best options are the SEAK and the Yukon. Seems like first lite dosent really make rain pants, unless I missed something.

You did wink http://www.firstlite.com/boundary-stormtight-pant-july-2014.html

I haven't used these, but may give them a shot this year. I've heard good things from a few guys that have tried them.

Tanner

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow, the Pnuma rain shell weighs 33 oz. My shell, mid layer, and 3 season puffy weigh 31 ounces total. Could be great for some but no thanks.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If I wanted a camo shell, I'd be looking at First Lite, and I'm not sure anywhere else. Cocona's 37.5 WP/B fabric generally gets decent marks and it's been around a few years now.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
Despite what advertisers want us to believe, the truth is there is no best, just different. Every membrane and coating has different vapor permeability and water permeability attributes.

Match the membrane characteristics to your environment, durability needs, and activity level, maintain a good DWR, and that's the best you can do.

My favorites are Neoshell, eVent, and Powershield Pro--but they all do different things.

There are some very cool new fabrics out there. This is too light for a hunting application but the thru hikers (who can afford it) will love it, look the breathability stat.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes, I'm curious to see field results. Along those lines, the NW Alpine Eyebright, eVent jacket at 4.5 oz. Has been out for a couple years, priced above value for dang near everyone, but reported impressive durability. Agreed the number of options is amazing.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That deserves a WOW on both cost and weight! Glad to hear it is working for people.

Empirical results rule!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't think they can afford to put it on sale real often! It's hand made so I imagine it never is.

Last edited by SnowyMountaineer; 04/11/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I keep wanting to order a Neoshell jacket/pants from this place for $150/ea. Just have never pulled the trigger.

http://foxwear.net/fabrics-and-colors-2/clothing/rain-gear/

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I think that I it is safe to assume that Pnuma will come out with a lighter version of its raingear. Most new companies initially come out with basic gear that has broad appeal then start offering more specialized gear. To date the quality of their gear has been very good. Their raingear works well for me but I am not backpacking for days at a time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

123 members (7887mm08, 35, 44mc, 6mmCreedmoor, 338rcm, 7x57Hunter, 14 invisible), 1,012 guests, and 769 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,504
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.