Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs
Before reboring you might try loading a few boxes of Nosler 200 grain partitions and shoot them for a season.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I agree with BSA, but what you wanna do makes great sense as well. I like them all, even trying a 30-06 out a little these days.

A 338-06 or 35 Whelen really has some good stomp to it as well. Not sure you have HUGE gains, but it certainly will dig big holes. A 210 Partition at 2750 is a beast killer in my opinion.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Originally Posted by model70man
I've got quite a few pre-64 "shooters". I have always wanted to re-barrel one to 7X57 with a 26" barrel. Part of the fun of having these shooters is making them into what you want.

A pre 64 hunter with a 26" barrel in only a 7-57 is a heavy rifle. I have pre 64's with 26" barrels in 220 Swift, 264 Win
300 H&H and a long heavy 25" on a 375 H&H African. Unless a long heavy barrel is really necessary then its just a long heavy barrel.

I agree with you. I once owned a nice .264 w/ 26" barrel but I loved the way that rifle handled with the longer barrel.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I agree with BSA, but what you wanna do makes great sense as well. I like them all, even trying a 30-06 out a little these days.

A 338-06 or 35 Whelen really has some good stomp to it as well. Not sure you have HUGE gains, but it certainly will dig big holes. A 210 Partition at 2750 is a beast killer in my opinion.

I'm glad you brought up the 210 partition. That's what I was thinking as well. They are also on sale now at SPS. I NEED to get some for my 338WM....:

Good deal on .338 210gr. partitions

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I like heavy for caliber bullets, so the 200gr. partitions in the 30-06 might be something to play with before I settle on swapping calibers. I had thought though that my pre-64 Supergrade in 300 H&H might be the better platform for those.

This rifles emphasis will really be on shots under 200 yards. At least 75% of shots I take on pigs are under 100. Most pigs die with whatever you stick in them pretty quick, but I have had some die closer than I like. I had a boar die with his nose touching the toe of my boot once (was using a 5.56 AR with just 55 gr FMJ that day).

IC B2

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Moving beyond the caliber issue though, I have been focusing on the stock choice. I am thinking pretty hard about the Mcmillan Hunters edge. I read through the thread about lightweight stocks and looked at the comparison photos and I think that one may come closer to what I would want. The Hunters Edge is the same as the compact with the lighter construction right?

I was thinking a little more drop works for me better when shooting while standing and from field positions. Also, it looks like the fore arm of that stock is a little bit shorter. I think that would go well if I decide to do a barrel band sling swivel. Anyone have a similar setup or any experience with one?

On the Mcmillan, is there an extra charge for going to a 14" LOP? I may just be slow, but I have a tough time figuring out the Mcmillan website and catalog options. If you get the fully inletted option from Mcmillan, does it really just bolt up ready to go like their website represents?

Thanks for all the help and opinions everybody.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
My understanding, Yes, the Hunter Edge stocks and the compact stocks come out of the same molds. Just different fabric and fill. The forearm on my Hunter Edge might be a 1/2" shorter than some other stocks in my gun case. But not a huge difference in length. Definitely thinner, trimmer than many of the others. Most of the fully inlet stocks that I have purchased from McMillan have fit fairly well. I still find little tweaks like opening up the bolt notch to keep the bolt handle from rubbing. Sometimes sanding a little material out of the barrel channel to float a barrel. However, McMillan out-of-the-box fit is LIGHT YEARS ahead of some of their competition. And I'll stop with that... grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Orion2000 hits the nail on the head. Keechi Kid, when I look at your rifle, I imagine it in a Hunters compact stock. That design is my favorite on the fwt. With your short barrel I think it's the way to go because it's a trimmer stock with a shorter fore end. I know the other guys are saying the Bridges pattern, but I've also heard complaints about that stock having a real short grip length. This sucks if you have a big hand like mine. Here's a fwt I have in a hunters compact. It's about perfect as far as I'm concerned....:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here's the same rifle on the stock contour template:
[Linked Image]

Here's a rifle similar to yours (std wt on the stock contour template), to compare to the fwt in the Mcmillan hunters compact):
[Linked Image]

As you can see, the hunters compact is almost a full 1 1/2" shorter than the factory std. wt stock forend... Hope this helps a little.. Also, contrary to popular belief, the hunters compact, also doesn't have as much drop at the comb as the factory montecarlo stock either.... That makes for a winning combination as far as I'm concerned... wink

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I believe if I ever swapped stocks on my Featherweight I'd roll like you BSA.. I do kinda dig it the way it sits right now though.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I believe if I ever swapped stocks on my Featherweight I'd roll like you BSA.. I do kinda dig it the way it sits right now though.

Scotty, I really like my 1956 30-06 fwt in its original stock. I'm keeping that rifle set up just like it came from the factory.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Thanks for that help there bsa. I'm thinking the hunters edge is for sure the way to go on the stock. The finish is what I am trying to figure out now. I am intrigued by the hard chrome option, but there isn't a lot of info on using that finish in this context.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I decided to go cerakote and haven't had any regrets. Here's on I had done in midnight blue:

[Linked Image]

I'm really liking the durability of this cerakote. I've had about 4 rifles cerakoted now and it holds up well...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Scotty, I really like my 1956 30-06 fwt in its original stock. I'm keeping that rifle set up just like it came from the factory.

Same here. Mines a 58 I think, but yep, I like it in the wood.

Another vote for Cerrakote. It's pretty good stuff.

Semper Fi
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
How does the cerakote hold up to the bumps, rubbing, and weather that a hunting rifle that gets carried a lot encounters for y'all?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Mine have done pretty well. I did a few myself and baked it on. Pretty tough. It will scratch if it is subjected to something hard enough but it is pretty durable otherwise.

Make sure you do not get moving parts Cerrakoted, Micro Slik should be used on all things that need to move freely.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good post Scotty. I'll agree, the cerakote will scratch. I finally scratched a part of my rifle, when I dropped the bolt on the cement floor cry eek.., but out in the brush, I haven't noticed any scratching. This is the kind of brush (like manzanita and vine maple) that is hard on other finishes. I remember having to re-paint floor plates on my Ruger rifles after every elk season because they would get scratched. This same brush hasn't harmed the cerakote finishes I've had done though. Seems to be pretty damn hard stuff. I don't know if it matters, but I asked my smith to add extra hardener to the mix, but that was to get a glossier finish to make it appear more like bluing. I'm thinking my favorite cerakote color is midnight blue right now..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Hi all am an old pre 64 model 70 guy. Shot a pre 64 ftwt 270 for 37 years. had a lot of fun with it. Last year had a old pre 64 ftwt 30/06 rebored to a 338/06. Oreggun smithing did the work had a Pendleton composite stock installed shoots great dime, size groups with 210 NP at 100 yards 2600 fps VX III 2.5x8 scope SK rings and mounts cerakoted about 7.5 loaded. I never have bought a real nice pre 64 because I would probly never use it. Have several reworked ones though but I do like to see them and look at them they are as nice looking a rifle as there is . BSA is on track I will never give up on my old 270 all the way we are old friends.
P S shot 250 lbs bear with it last year 150 yards pass though broke both front shoulders went less than one body length hits hard.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bapple
Hi all am an old pre 64 model 70 guy. Shot a pre 64 ftwt 270 for 37 years. had a lot of fun with it. Last year had a old pre 64 ftwt 30/06 rebored to a 338/06. Oreggun smithing did the work had a Pendleton composite stock installed shoots great dime, size groups with 210 NP at 100 yards 2600 fps VX III 2.5x8 scope SK rings and mounts cerakoted about 7.5 loaded. I never have bought a real nice pre 64 because I would probly never use it. Have several reworked ones though but I do like to see them and look at them they are as nice looking a rifle as there is . BSA is on track I will never give up on my old 270 all the way we are old friends.
P S shot 250 lbs bear with it last year 150 yards pass though broke both front shoulders went less than one body length hits hard.

Welcome to the fire bapple. You will like the Winchester collectors forum here... I look forward to hearing more of what you have to say regarding pre 64 model 70 rifles. They are damn hard to beat my friend.. Regards...

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I may be in the minority here, but, I like a good (Manganese) Parkerized finish. Got that finish on my 8mm, just sent 2 more Mauser barrelled actions to ITD to get parked the same way. I just strip them apart when I get them back and mix one part Marine grade axle grease and one part synthetic ATF and coat EVERYTHING metal. Let it set for a month or so and wipe it off and put it back together. Have had zero corrosion issues.

Last edited by CowboyTim; 04/23/17.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bapple

Welcome aboard. That's a great sounding rifle!

Semper Fi
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
493 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 45 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 1,007 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.