Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
dingo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Ok Fellas,

I plan on using some Burris rings & bases on my new Rem 700 375RUM, the type with windage adjustments on the rear bases. I've had a few different folk tell me that windage adjustment bases dont like hard kicking rifles and can often shear off the adjustment screw. I think those problems are more likely to occur when the windage screw are not tight enough or locked in place with loctite. Anyone have first hand knowledge on these things?

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I use Weaver bases with Leupold Quick Release Weaver (QRW) rings.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I ran those old windage adjustable bases and rings on a 460 WBY back in the day with nary a problem, they held the 1.5-5 leupold with aplomb, 6-48 screw size and all.

Trump Won!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Personally I use dual dovetail bases and Burris signature rings on everything from 300 win mag and above.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have sheared off two sets a Leupold and a Redfield of this type.

I checked several and almost all of them did not have good contact with the rear base. Other than the ones I sheared I have not had problems with these but didn't trust them. I did have a couple that appeared to be putting torque on the scope.

I have replaced most of them with Talley steel mounts both fixed and QR and have 100% confidence in these. For a heavy kicker I would have more confidence in any type of mount that has equal contact and support for both rings. The windage type sometimes is relying almost entirely on the front ring.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a .375 Wby, and I think one of the best mounts for these types of rifles from Wby and Remington comes from Near Manufacturing: http://www.nearmfg.com/products.htm

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Another one-piece Near Mfg mount worked well on my .340 Wby on a moose hunt:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They are built to handle military stress that will never happen in a hunting situation.

Last edited by MarineHawk; 04/26/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dingo

Ok Fellas,

I plan on using some Burris rings & bases on my new Rem 700 375RUM, the type with windage adjustments on the rear bases. I've had a few different folk tell me that windage adjustment bases dont like hard kicking rifles and can often shear off the adjustment screw. I think those problems are more likely to occur when the windage screw are not tight enough or locked in place with loctite. Anyone have first hand knowledge on these things?

[Linked Image]
I've seen this setup fail at least a half dozen times. Here's a pretty crummy picture of a .338 Winchester Magnum that came apart on a friend of mine's once-in-a-lifetime brown bear hunt. He said it was perfect when he left SC and it looked okay when he arrived in AK. I took him out to the range before he flew into the field and this happened with his first group. Was it installed properly? I can't say that I know the answer, but I've witnessed enough issues with it to never trust them on a hunting rifle. Obviously, lots of folks love them as they're very popular, but they're more fragile than most other mounts IME. I know that my buddy borrowed one of my rifles and switched mounts on his rifle to when he returned home.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
a picture says a thousand words. I'll not use this type of mount on a big kicker

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
use your head....the engagement lips on those windage screws are not all that thick and you can bet the screws are not made from the hardest steel in the world......there are many stronger setups out there......

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Hope you have strong wood. My buddy had his Rem 375 Ultra break on him in Tanzania. He had to borrow my Win 70 375 H&H. And I am a lefty. He did OK.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Talley steel

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The problem is if the scope slips in the front ring.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
162 members (35, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 846 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,783
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.