Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Having my left knee done on April 21st. What advice can you give me, pre and post op? How long before a guy can get around pretty god without canes or crutches? Thanks.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry to hear you have it upcoming. Probably a good idea to get it over with though.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks rock. I've been getting injections for the past 4 years now, and they aren't working very well anymore. Cortisone helps for a couple of months but that's it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I had left knee done on 20 Jan 2017. Three days in hospital. Two weeks at home with health care. On walker for one week then to cane. Then to therapy three times per week. Threw cane away. Therapy for six weeks, then quit. Had last Dr visit last week.

I'm not a 100% but close to it. I can do everything I want to do. Good luck with your surgery.

Biggest issue was trusting knee. Also putting sock on left foot, you'll figure it out. Do all your exercises while in therapy.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Good luck with the procedure and keep us posted on your progress. I am about 2 months into my first cortisone injection on my right knee. I've been wondering how long before I have to go under the knife. Sounds like I could get by for a few years.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you are in good physical condition, and not overweight going in, you will be pleasantly surprised at how quickly you can recover--if you do the post-op physical therapy religiously. I had mine done the first week in July and was back on my mountain bike by the middle of August. In the second week of October, I was hunting elk in Colorado, two days of which was in knee-deep snow.

On thing that the surgeon told me right after the surgery was to take the pain meds and stay ahead of the pain. He assured me that I was not going to become addicted, and that I needed to start working the knee right away so that it didn't stiffen up and make the PT more difficult. It worked for me.

Last edited by mudhen; 04/10/17.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All I can offer is a hearty good luck to you JG.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I hope I can come close to your recovery mudhen. I can't say I'm a lardass.....but I've always been "not small" @ 6'2" 240lbs. In decent shape for a 56 yr old I guess. I've had 4 prior knee surgeries so I am committed to the PT deal for sure.

Thanks for the well wishes guys.

Last edited by JGRaider; 04/10/17.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Keep us posted please. Looking at the same thing with my left knee soon.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Best wishes, follow your Dr's advice and you should be up and going shortly . What brand of Knee is he using? 70 year old woman that lives in the development had her done a few years ago and she is quite active, still plays tennis

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trim your toenails the day before. Might be a while before you can get at em again...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll post a separate thread, but I'm getting a new hip next month. Let me know how yours goes.

Sam......

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by mudhen
If you are in good physical condition, and not overweight going in, you will be pleasantly surprised at how quickly you can recover--if you do the post-op physical therapy religiously. I had mine done the first week in July and was back on my mountain bike by the middle of August. In the second week of October, I was hunting elk in Colorado, two days of which was in knee-deep snow.

On thing that the surgeon told me right after the surgery was to take the pain meds and stay ahead of the pain. He assured me that I was not going to become addicted, and that I needed to start working the knee right away so that it didn't stiffen up and make the PT more difficult. It worked for me.

My experiences were a bit different, and not nearly as positive. My replacement surgery was at the end of June; there was no way I would have been able to elk hunt by October, and in fact did not hunt at all that fall (not drawing any tags didn't help, but I really wasn't ready). I did fairly well hiking around the following season, and much better this year, but still cannot stand for long periods of time, and have a tough time walking long distances. The knee continues to retain a good deal of fluid and gets pretty sore if I use it too much. Basically, some of the same issues I had prior to the surgery still exist (just as the orthopedist said they would), the positive exceptions being the lack of chronic arthritis pain and the correction of the joint deformity.

For the record, I diligently did all the PT, lost 40 pounds (I'm 6', now 190#), and am in excellent physical condition otherwise.

I recommend getting an ice machine. That helped quite a bit.

Last edited by PrimeBeef; 04/10/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JG,

I have no direct experience, but plenty of my patients have had knee replacements and most all of them report they bounce back quickly and without pain!.

Keys are: take your meds as directed and bust your hump doing the rehab. I know you will do fine, and am confident you will be thrilled to move around normally without chronic pain.

PS- should have played 1b! wink

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had my right knee done 12/09/2016 at the Ft. Meade VA. 3 days at Hospital, 5 days on a walker, 5 days on a cane. Knee is doing fantastic. After leaving Hospital I've taken zero pain pills (I am pretty tolerant however). Should have done this a lot earlier. The VA system here in the Black Hills is super!
Good Luck to you sir.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I'v had both knees replaced. The left knee was done first, about 5 years ago. The first week was the toughest because of the heavy meds, and the lack of sleep. Everyone I've talked to who has been thru this says the first week or two is the toughest because it really is hard to get a good nights sleep for about the first 2 to 3 weeks. Just make sure you do the PT, and if you have a therapist who pushes you, all the better. If you don't have a therapist, make sure you push yourself, and I can't stress that point enough. I was golfing, and pretty much back to normal in about 7 to 8 weeks. Again, pushing yourself with the prescribed exercises is key.

The 2nd knee I had done 2 1/2 yrs ago, and was much easier than the first. The Dr said I couldn't drive for at least 3 to 4 weeks, and I was driving in less than a week, and I was golfing in a month. I will say I was in much better shape the 2nd time. I had been working out 4-5 times a week, for a couple of years, and I believe that made the recovery much quicker. Again, I pushed myself very hard with the exercises. Today I am pain free in both knees, and can do pretty much anything I used to. The only thing that bothers me today, is kneeling on a hard surface floor.

Good luck with your surgery! Push yourself with your recovery exercises, and ice your knee as much as you can.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had both done December 13. Made it to SHOT a month later.

My experience: The first few days suck. After that, you get better fast.

The pills SUCK, but you gotta take them. When I got off them, I turned a huge corner and actually started getting out of bed and living again. The pills knocked me on my a$$ about as much as the actual surgery, at least after a week or so. But without them, the PT the first few days won't be as effective. Take the pills. Grin and bear the PT the first few days. Then you should start feeling better by leaps and bounds.

Ice. A LOT. Makes a huge difference.

Four months later, and I am in the weight room doing leg presses and curls, walking stairs two at a time, and pretty much feeling normal.

Godspeed!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Might be to late for pre-op, but never hurts, start doing squats NOW, build up quad strength, do one leg balance exercises on that knee now. If you've been through PT before for knee surgery you know the drill!

The better shape your legs are in now the better you can recover.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hatari
JG,

I have no direct experience, but plenty of my patients have had knee replacements and most all of them report they bounce back quickly and without pain!.

Keys are: take your meds as directed and bust your hump doing the rehab. I know you will do fine, and am confident you will be thrilled to move around normally without chronic pain.

There was this guy named Will Clark that screwed that deal up......

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
"On thing that the surgeon told me right after the surgery was to take the pain meds and stay ahead of the pain. He assured me that I was not going to become addicted, and that I needed to start working the knee right away so that it didn't stiffen up and make the PT more difficult. It worked for me. "

This in spades.....do not get behind pain meds....my wife had it 2 years ago and learned real quick to not do that. She is much tougher than I and thought she could do it drug free...
HAH!
Not gonna happen.

Good luck!

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Taking the plunge!?
Good luck.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RickBin
I had both done December 13. Made it to SHOT a month later.

My experience: The first few days suck. After that, you get better fast.

The pills SUCK, but you gotta take them. When I got off them, I turned a huge corner and actually started getting out of bed and living again. The pills knocked me on my a$$ about as much as the actual surgery, at least after a week or so. But without them, the PT the first few days won't be as effective. Take the pills. Grin and bear the PT the first few days. Then you should start feeling better by leaps and bounds.

Ice. A LOT. Makes a huge difference.

Four months later, and I am in the weight room doing leg presses and curls, walking stairs two at a time, and pretty much feeling normal.

Godspeed!

But you're a steed!

Better than ice is a polarcare unit that pumps ice water through a "collar" around your knee.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Good luck! Do the therapy, makes all the difference.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Well, its a little too late now, but if you need it on the other knee, id go to San Antone and get that lady Dr Marshall to do the
small incision surgery and be well and done in a third the time.

Good fortune on it.

Last edited by jaguartx; 04/10/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'll be praying for you buddy. Doc tells me I'll need one when I'm older.I live with injections and a few pain meds for now.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks a bunch guys. Appreciated.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Thanks a bunch guys. Appreciated.

Yeah, get that leg going, then take me, Babe and Doc R you know where quail hunting. wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JG,

No talent Redneck! wink

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't has a knee replacement but I have had at least one major surgery.

I highly recommend an electrical recliner

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
H
H
As others have said, do the rehab exercises. The first week is the toughest. For me it was an absolute nightmare, but it was self inflicted. The doc told me there was no way I was going to hurt the knee, so go for as much activity as I could stand. The first week I worked the knee until the pain got to the point I was starting to gray-out. That certainly SUCKS, but after about a week, the pain dropped off to almost nothing and recovery was very rapid. I was 47 years old at the time, and being younger helped I'm sure. The incision was the only thing I had to really worry about after the first week to 10 days. You hear stories of the nightmare of rehab, and it's true, but for me at least, that initial week of hell paid off. If you can take the pain meds DO IT! That will allow you to really push early on. Opiates make me horribly sick so I did it cold and just pushed through, but if I had to do it again, I would just get sick and to hell with the pain. This is my experience, and yours may be different obviously, but this new knee is absolutely the best quality-of-life procedure I have had. No crutches, no walker, cane for a short time, then normal gait. I used the cane for longer than I probably needed to simply because it is so easy and makes such a huge difference in getting around. I'd use a cane everyday even now, but I'm to damned arrogant to do it. Canes are great!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good Luck!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck. Plenty of time to get ready for hunting season. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Having my left knee done on April 21st. What advice can you give me, pre and post op?

If they will do it without giving you a spinal block, do that. Everybody that I know with Sciatica real bad, has had one of these. Mine is being treated, but little helps and it does not show up for a few years. They gave me an option to not have it, but said the DR. really preferred one. I had one, and it might not have caused the problem, but again all that I have talked to have had the spinal. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Had a replacement, hamstring reattach,, and leg strengthening last July. Packed out 3 deer Nov/ Dec... no problem. At 70, 6'5", 210lbs, I refused cane, walker, potty chair! Very tough at first. I forced myself through early rehab, which I felt was the most important part. Hard work early on. lots of extensions and curls, and stretching. ICE! 40 minutes power walk, resistance bike tng, alternate days..sets of stairs to equal 500 steps a day. Didn't use pain meds. Stuck to occasional Advil. Many days I had to force myself. Most physically, emotionally, challenging thing I have done!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having my left knee done on April 21st. What advice can you give me, pre and post op? How long before a guy can get around pretty god without canes or crutches? Thanks.

My son is a PA in a major, & highly acclaimed clinic that does only orthopedic surgeries. His doc alone, did over 900 surgeries in the past year, not all knees though.

Given a good doc & a good hospital or clinic, it's very routine today, assuming you have no unusual circumstances.

Follow the post-op instructions exactly & do the re-hab religiously & you will be fine in a couple of months........do not attempt to rush either the healing process or the re-hab by pushing too hard.

Not a pleasant thing to undergo, but all in all, virtually a 100% success rate in routine cases.

Good Luck for a full recovery.

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi there, using husbands computer. I had my L knee done Jan. 18th.
First I would say it depends on age and physical condition. It is now almost 90 days post-op for me and I am driving, no canes/walker. I still get tired at end of the day and sometimes small amount of swelling, pain maybe at a 2/3, not much. I take 600mg Ibuprophen per doctor, it helps. I am a young 70 yr old retired nurse in pretty good shape. However, I heard and read from chat rooms that it takes 90 days to feel human again! They are right! If younger, sooner.
Advice. For the first 2-3 days you will feel pretty good because they inject your knee with drugs to help ease the pain. However when that wears off, it hurts like hell. So take your pain pills religiously and have some help the first 3 weeks. You will be able to bath (with bench) and go to the bathroom without help, but all the rest - forget it. Then you will need help for the next few weeks with meals, transportation, etc. Please do your exercises! No hunting for 6-9 months or per doctor. I am glad I had it done, feel so much better, but it is a process. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hello JG,
I'm 57 and also 6'1" and 240. I had my right knee replaced January 5th, 2017, and my left knee replaced March 14th, 2017. Both were outpatient surgeries. I showed up at the surgery center at 5:30am for a 7am surgery, and was home watching my own TV by 1pm. My advice is follow all instructions from the surgeon, and do everything that the therapist asks you to do. Don't be afraid to take your pain meds, and ice your knee for 20 minutes every hour you're awake. The most important thing is to work on bending and straightening as soon as possible. From the time you leave the operating room, it's a race against scar tissue. Good luck and don't hesitate to message me if you need any advice or just someone to vent to.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

My uncle was moving around pretty good within a few days. His was over 10 years ago now but I don't recall him having any issues with it since.

Good luck to you sir.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
JG,

Yeah, like he's going to amount to anything. lol
No talent Redneck! wink

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Also, no need for fancy ice machines. Four bags of cheap frozen peas and a good ace bandage are all you need. One under your knee, one on either side, and one on top all surrounded by an ACE bandage. 20 minutes for every hour you're awake for the first 3-4 weeks. I was on a walker for a week, then a cane for a week, then nothing. Ice and pain meds are your friend.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
The polarcare isn't NEEDED. It's just FAR more effective in pain relief and reducing swelling.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I know of two people who died from blood clots after knee replacement.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Wound up having to have a total replacement instead of partial. I guess it's probably better in the long run. Thanks for all of the help.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Sure hope you are up and about soon!

Yeah, probably saved you another surgery and replacement at a later date.

Let us know how things are going!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've not had a replacement, yet. Someday? I'm thankful we don't have to just grit out all the ailments like our grandparents had to.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Sure hope you are up and about soon!

Yeah, probably saved you another surgery and replacement at a later date.

Let us know how things are going!
+1 Hang in there with the PT.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JG- Hope your rehab goes well. I know you'll put the effort into and get good results..and cuss everyday in the gym. smile

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
TAG

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey JG, hope all is going well. Hope all of the tips guys have given help your healing.

Ron

Orwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JG-

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All the best in your recovery. We fully expect to learn of you chasing those big west Texas Mule deer this fall.

Wayne

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I had a total replacement on my left knee 5 years ago.It will be my last one.It works fine,but is not as good as what God gives you.My Barber had Stem cell injections in his knee and hip which were scheduled for total replacements.He had them done at Mayo Clinic .First they take a plug from your hip to grow the stem cells.Then you come back and get the injections.This is called experimental so insurance does not pay for it.He paid $7,500 for the procedure.Now 6 weeks later he can not believe how much better his knee and hip are.No more knife for me,Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I had TKR in 2008. It is tough. Very painful.
You need to do all your physical therapy. They have an electric powered machine that you take home that bends your knee for you, I was using that about an hour a day.

Plus I got an exercise bike to ride. The docs love for you to ride a bicycle.

It took about three months to get back to halfway normal.
I had a very good result and am glad I had it.

Good luck. Your new friend will be Mr. Vicodin.

One Vicodin with a double gin and tonic* and your pain will go away.

* do not try this at home can cause liver damage

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"If they will do it without giving you a spinal block, do that. Everybody that I know with Sciatica real bad, has had one of these. Mine is being treated, but little helps and it does not show up for a few years. They gave me an option to not have it, but said the DR. really preferred one. I had one, and it might not have caused the problem, but again all that I have talked to have had the spinal. miles"

They want you to do the spinal block. Because there is less chance of the anesthesiologist getting sued with the spinal block.
Because, sometimes under general anesthetic people have a reaction and die.

So they will try to push the spinal block on you. You need to know your rights, you have the right to insist on general anesthetic.

I have a friend who got the spinal block for a vascetomy and he had migraine headaches so bad he couldn't work for 2 weeks.

My anesthesiologist tried to get me to do a spinal block for my TKR. I told her I didn't want the 2 weeks of migraines. I insisted on general anesthetic and that is what I got.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
JGRaider

I had knee replacement in 2010. I worked hard in rehab and found that within a year I felt better and could do more than in the previous 10 years. The actual physical recovery was more like 6 mo. to back to normal and the next 6 mo. was for me to realize I could do it and get mentally over the years of not being able to do it.

Work hard in rehab and good results will follow.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How did it start JG? Never had an issue but lately UP the stairs is a real challenge. Working that rail like a pull up champ!!

Thanks and Godspeed!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
3 days out. How ya doin?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
"If they will do it without giving you a spinal block, do that. Everybody that I know with Sciatica real bad, has had one of these. Mine is being treated, but little helps and it does not show up for a few years. They gave me an option to not have it, but said the DR. really preferred one. I had one, and it might not have caused the problem, but again all that I have talked to have had the spinal. miles"

They want you to do the spinal block. Because there is less chance of the anesthesiologist getting sued with the spinal block.
Because, sometimes under general anesthetic people have a reaction and die.

So they will try to push the spinal block on you. You need to know your rights, you have the right to insist on general anesthetic.

I have a friend who got the spinal block for a vascetomy and he had migraine headaches so bad he couldn't work for 2 weeks.

My anesthesiologist tried to get me to do a spinal block for my TKR. I told her I didn't want the 2 weeks of migraines. I insisted on general anesthetic and that is what I got.

You've come to a lot of wrong conclusions and are giving out false information.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
No, my information is correct and my conclusions are true.
You must be a doctor.

Hate to tell you, it says "MD" after your name, not "GOD"

You are, hate to tell you, not infallible.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
JG, Hope you are doing well. I just had Orthoscopic knee surgery and I'm still sore. I think the guys that said lots of ice are giving great advice. I didn't do that, and after 3 weeks and starting to. Makes a big difference.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hoping all goes well. Doc told me I'm a candidate, left knee is shot.. Also said at 63 perhaps too young as they last on average 15 years. Went the expensive route for now, Stem cell injections. Not covered by my insurance $1600.. It has helped, but still not anything close to what it was before. Will see and might be sooner than later on the replacement. I know the ORTHO is going to say more Stem cell shots.. The knee replacement is covered by insurance. It is truly sucking to start getting old.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You must be a doctor.

Sir, this has nothing to do with my fallibility -- of course I am. And God knows I am not Him! but the conclusions you have come to are incorrect and to make pronouncements that might cause confusion and distrust among some here who might be facing these anesthesia procedures on the advice of their providers are wrong.

Please stick to what you know. I don't know trucks and truck drivers so will refrain from lecturing others on the same.

JG I hope things are going well.

Edit: for clarity.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 04/25/17.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
A couple of people at work have had it done. They all say they should have done it sooner.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by hanco
A couple of people at work have had it done. They all say they should have done it sooner.

I've not met anyone that has had a TKA say that they wished they had waited longer.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Hoping all goes well. Doc told me I'm a candidate, left knee is shot.. Also said at 63 perhaps too young as they last on average 15 years. Went the expensive route for now, Stem cell injections. Not covered by my insurance $1600.. It has helped, but still not anything close to what it was before. Will see and might be sooner than later on the replacement. I know the ORTHO is going to say more Stem cell shots.. The knee replacement is covered by insurance. It is truly sucking to start getting old.

I didn't think age was that much a factor, anymore. I had both mine done in March of 2006, and I was only 52. My local Orthopedic guy was putting me off, saying I had to wait until I was older. So I went to Dartmouth-Hitchcock in NH, and the guy there said I had the knees of someone 75. He said the parts of the artificial knees (at least back then) are replaceable, and it's not like you need total replacements when they start to wear out. You need to do some research on Orthopedics outside your immediate area. I can't imagine that anyone now would say 63 is too young? Good luck to you.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks again fellas. A few thoughts so far:

1. Yes, lots of ice is good
2. Yes, PT sucketh, bad, but it will lead to good things
3. When it comes to a quality of life thing, like it did to me, I was eager to make some changes, even at 56.

4. Whatever "block" they gave me was injected above the knee cap in front, and affected only the front of the joint. When it wore off after a couple/three days I think I may have invented a few new words.....shazam that was painful.

5. The back and sides of my knee are very bruised and swollen all over. Docs at PT say it is a very "violent" procedure to say the least.

I'm anticipating great things out of this. Once again, I appreciate all of your positive responses.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The knee block is a wonderful thing.
It may swell so much that you think the skin will burst during PT, but it won't.
The bruising will go away soon, relatively thinking.
Best wishes.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
JG, I just turned 60 and have had both done. Played football and worked on my feet for many years. They are not as good as the real thing but the pain will subside and if I can tell you one thing it is do EXACTLY what the Pt and docs want. I can't tell you in words how important it is. I know many that didn't and the do not have the range of motion that you will want. I have 120 degrees with both and hunt and fish etc. I have walked 14 miles deer hunting last year one day and could not have done that with the bad ones with all the Vicodin in the world. The bike works great for stretching scar tissue buy lowering the seat as you warm up. I promise it gets better and you will be off pain meds to do normal stuff. Good luck

Last edited by goodshot; 04/25/17.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have had both done. They put my knees in a 70lb hydrolic bending/straighting machine right off the bat.keeps it from stiffening up.
Do the phyisical therapy,follow the at home instructions and you ll be fine.i get around pretty good now,as compared to hardly being able to walk before.best of luck.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
JG take care of yourself and listen to the Dr's.

I had a friend that went to engineering school, when he graduated he started working for Howmedica in the 70's. He was the chief engineer and I guess witnessed a lot of knee operations. That company was a pioneer in joint replacements and were eventually bought by Pfizer. Let's just say people that have them done now are lucky compared to the earlier experiments.

I hope I never have to get that procedure done. Hang in there

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
You must be a doctor.

Sir, this has nothing to do with my fallibility -- of course I am. And God knows I am not Him! but the conclusions you have come to are incorrect and to make pronouncements that might cause confusion and distrust among some here who might be facing these anesthesia procedures on the advice of their providers are wrong.

Please stick to what you know. I don't know trucks and truck drivers so will refrain from lecturing others on the same.

JG I hope things are going well.

Edit: for clarity.

I was surprised how much the anesthesiologist got for 'letting me sleep without dying' when I had my knee orthoed. Then again, I suspect one might rather not hire the lowest bidder for that role either.

Glad to read sound thoughts and advice on this topic as the inevitable looms. frown

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

3. When it comes to a quality of life thing, like it did to me, I was eager to make some changes, even at 56.

4. Whatever "block" they gave me was injected above the knee cap in front, and affected only the front of the joint. When it wore off after a couple/three days I think I may have invented a few new words.....shazam that was painful.

5. The back and sides of my knee are very bruised and swollen all over. Docs at PT say it is a very "violent" procedure to say the least.

I'm anticipating great things out of this. Once again, I appreciate all of your positive responses.

If one does not have a strong stomach, don't watch the TKA procedure on youtube.

The tongue-in-cheek name for orthopods is 'carpenter'. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byc
How did it start JG? Never had an issue but lately UP the stairs is a real challenge. Working that rail like a pull up champ!!

Thanks and Godspeed!!

JG played pro baseball and was a catcher.  Come with the territory.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It's a reason I did a sciatic nerve block also along with the femoral because as the latter blocks the front of the knee, the sciatic blocks the back of the knee. A third of all knee patients will have serious pain at the back of the knee without this block. I would insert catheters next to both nerves and bump in local anesthetic for a day to day and a half. I then added a general anesthetic for the procedure for control and patient comfort -- the time flies as they say.

But it's important to understand as in most things there is more than one way to skin a cat and there are many other approaches to getting it done so I am not saying my way is the only right way, just the process I came to rely on generally.

I had one former NFL player, tall, lanky, muscular who wanted a "straight vanilla" general -- no nerve blocks. Said he could deal with pain and man he could; rehabbed like a man possessed but it was generally in line with his approach to all of life.

It's true it is a "violent" operation. Orthopedists are basically bone carpenters with saws, drills, and hammers. Before the new goes in the old must come out.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
What is the 'knockout", they use for the colonoscopy?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Primarily Propofol -- a great drug-- though there are a few other "tools" in the kit.

Of course even a great drug can be used in the wrong way as Michael,Jackson would tell you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 12344mag, 47 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,961
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.