Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I have a chance to hunt them this coming year and have no experience.

2 b 1 ask 1 !
GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
whistle pig (deceased)

[Linked Image]

ground hog, wood chuck, rock chuck, etc...

For either, any 22 centerfire would be fine

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
be vewwy, vewwy careful. They are mean.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Aren't whistle pigs from San Francisco?

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you've never hunted badgers before, it's easy. Just look for their mounds of dirt and find their tunnel. Then it is just a matter of going in after 'em...... They like to be called 'Charley'.....

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In Idaho and eastern Oregon, whistle pigs are a small ground squirrel. I think rock chucks used to be called whistle pigs back in the day, but for whatever reason the phrase now refers to a particular type of ground squirrel.

As far as badgers, I have never heard of anyone actually hunting them. I've seen folks try to trap a particular problem badger, but generally they're targets of opportunity.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by T_Inman
In Idaho and eastern Oregon, whistle pigs are a small ground squirrel. I think rock chucks used to be called whistle pigs back in the day, but for whatever reason the phrase now refers to a particular type of ground squirrel.

As far as badgers, I have never heard of anyone actually hunting them. I've seen folks try to trap a particular problem badger, but generally they're targets of opportunity.

This is the correct answer for southern Idaho and eastern Oregon, they used also used to be referred to as picketpins and gophers in southern Idaho, not so much any more, I now hear many folks who refer to them as ground squirrels which technically is correct. It seems to me that the ones in the desert southwest of Idaho are smaller than the average sized ground squirrel also.

If you know what a picketpin is then it is easy to see how they acquired that name. I have used all three names for them but now I mostly refer to them as gophers which confuses folks who are not familiar with them being called that, but I have called them either picketpins or gophers for so many years that I am not going to change now.

Funny thing is that I have never heard anyone who was raised in southern Idaho call them whistlepigs, that seems to be an imported term with the influx of non-natives to the area.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
be vewwy, vewwy careful. They are mean.....

One thing I know for certain, don't be hittin' a badger with green cotton bowls. Especially after the dogs have got him all stirred up.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I actually look for and hunt badgers. Drive the areas where they live, spot and stalk. Sometimes they can be called, not always. Most places a whistle pig is a 'chuck, here in So. West Idaho they are ground squirrels.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
In Tenn. a wistle pig is a groundhog aka. woodchuck.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I asked this question a year or two ago. Got many responses.....and Yes....that wonky Boise area or corner to include some of SE Oregon...they have a different lingo for the Rock Chuck and the various Ground Squirrels. It's exactly the opposite nomenclature about 100 miles outside that area. From what I have read and discovered

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by T_Inman

This is the correct answer for southern Idaho and eastern Oregon, they used also used to be referred to as picketpins and gophers in southern Idaho, not so much any more, I now hear many folks who refer to them as ground squirrels which technically is correct. It seems to me that the ones in the desert southwest of Idaho are smaller than the average sized ground squirrel also.

If you know what a picketpin is then it is easy to see how they acquired that name. I have used all three names for them but now I mostly refer to them as gophers which confuses folks who are not familiar with them being called that, but I have called them either picketpins or gophers for so many years that I am not going to change now.

Funny thing is that I have never heard anyone who was raised in southern Idaho call them whistlepigs, that seems to be an imported term with the influx of non-natives to the area.

drover

NA Cali and SE OR I've heard the 'Picket Pins" refered to as "squeaks" and "squeakers". The ones there are Belding's ground squirrels, some folks also refer to them as "gophers". Having lived in NW PA a whistle pig was a groundhog there. Southern CA we had ground squirrels, usually referred to as such. I think the same type or a similar exists in N CA, OR and perhaps S central WA which are referred to as "gray diggers".

Common names are so much fun. It's why a bluegill is called a bream or brim in some places.

Don't even get me going on crawdads. I hear some folks call them "crayfish" laugh

OP, when in doubt ask a local................then find another and be told the first was wrong!

Geno

PS, I have called a badger to within 8' of me for fun while turkey hunting, so I know they can be called......... at least that one could be

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
And don't take your Beagle with you on a Badger hunt unless you want hit the Vet on the way home.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
One might bring a Dachshund or three though wink

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Is "Honey Badger" just another term for a blue haired cougar?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
kingston - "...another term for a blue haired cougar?" In South Florida, especially Miami Beach and the Aventura area, we've two (2)varieties of "Honey Badgers" . Having a heavy wallet helps a lot in bagging one... Homesteader

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't even get me going on crawdads. I hear some folks call them "crayfish"

Crawdads or crawfish here. I guess the Momma's are crawfish. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
sage rats is what I've called them...

but with all the different names, we here in S. Oregon still know you are talking about...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Homesteader
kingston - "...another term for a blue haired cougar?" In South Florida, especially Miami Beach and the Aventura area, we've two (2)varieties of "Honey Badgers" . Having a heavy wallet helps a lot in bagging one... Homesteader

What are the two varieties and how do you tell them apart?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Throw road flares down badger holes.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,544
Posts18,453,334
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.