Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
A while back...
I bought a used 870 express 12 gauge to slug hunt deer and sighted it in and never went slug hunting or really shot it. It seemed to work fine then.

Then one of the deer shack kids wanted a shotgun and I gave him a good deal.

Last weekend we were cow-pasture trap shooting and the thing wouldn't eject consistently without having to push the forearm forward to unlock or pump down really hard.

I told him to watch youtube to disassemble it and really clean it up and see me if there are issues after that.

So what may be wrong?
Cost to fix?

I'm going to pickup the bill on this for the kid...

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

D
dpd Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Try this. Lots of good info on here. You may have to do some searching.

http://rem870.com/forum/index.php

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like metal base ammo is sticking in the chamber. Is the chamber rough?

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by humdinger
A while back...
I bought a used 870 express 12 gauge to slug hunt deer and sighted it in and never went slug hunting or really shot it. It seemed to work fine then.

Then one of the deer shack kids wanted a shotgun and I gave him a good deal.

Last weekend we were cow-pasture trap shooting and the thing wouldn't eject consistently without having to push the forearm forward to unlock or pump down really hard.

In other words, it's an "extraction" problem - not ejection..

Dirty/rough chamber.. Clean the snot out of it and try again..

Also - what shells? Factory? Reloads? Steel-rimmed? (those I'd stay away from, FWIW)

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by passport
Sounds like metal base ammo is sticking in the chamber. Is the chamber rough?

I will have him look. It was a used waterfowl gun so it may have seen a wet chamber.

It was every other shell and this kid is big and could put lots of force on the pump to the point I thought he would break something

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stuck spent spent hulls are pretty common with the crap steel these days.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
OP Here:

It was a extraction problem. Sorry for the confusion.

Him and his brother were shooting brand new Winchester target loads. The other boy was shooting a mossberg and it wasn't having any issues.

I've had sticky winchesters before, but usually after they have been stored for a while and get corrosion on the ZNC coated rims.

I'll pass on your guidance.

Im still open to suggestions if this doesn't stop there.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Not clear on what you are describing when you say push the forearm forward to unlock on a Remington. Winchester has a locking feature on their older pumps that required a forward impulse to unlock the slide but that was usually initiated by recoil . The Remington however does not do this.

If you are having trouble unlocking the action after a shot the problem is probably due to a dirty trigger assembly. Notice if once the trigger is pulled if the little release lever next to the trigger retracts slightly if not I might suggest that you drop the trigger unit and soak it in mineral spirits drain it and then lube it with something like Remington dry lube.

If that's not the issue are you saying the fired hull does not extract easily from the chamber or it extracts but doesn't flip/ eject out the port . Extraction can be a dirty / rough chmber, swollen shells or a combination of both. A lot of shells have poorly formed rims that allow the extractor hook to jump the rim or the rim doesn't hit the little ejector bump on the inside of the barrel extension. So try the following

1 Take a toothbrush and some solvent and brush around the extractor recess in the both and make sure the extractor hook is moving slightly under spring tension. Also make use the hook isn't cracked or misshapen or to the spring is broken and thus the extractor is sort of loose in the slot.

2 Look feel on the inside of the barrel extension for the little bump that the rim hits to kick it out if it gone there is your problem. You will need to stake a new one on ( unlikely)

3 take a brush and solvent and clean the chamber area really well.

4 try different shells.

I bet you will find it is one of the items above.

Last edited by bangeye; 04/10/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Express models are re know for having rough chambers.

`Bring Enough Gun`
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
OP here...

Chamber polishing - can you get by with wrapping a little extra fine emery cloth on your finger to do the job?
dowel rod?
empty shotshell?

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by humdinger
OP here...

Chamber polishing - can you get by with wrapping a little extra fine emery cloth on your finger to do the job?
dowel rod?
empty shotshell?
"Can" you do that? yeah, but it'll take you forever..

Take a (say) 1 foot section of 1/2" dowel.. Use a coping saw (or similar) to create a slot in one end, about 3/4" deep. Place a strip of 240 grit or finer into the slot and long enough to wrap around and get to a point where entry into the chamber is a bit 'tight'..

Chuck the other end of that dowel into a 1/2" drill and begin to polish the chamber.. Do NOT go inside far enough to get to the forcing cone - just the chamber itself..

Whole thing should take about 10-15 minutes and you'll have a nice, shiny chamber that should cure your extraction issue..

Best wishes.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've had pretty good luck with wrapping fine steel wool around a brass brush and using semi chrome polish. Chuck a piece of cleaning rod into your drill attach the brush and polish slowly checking often.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
OP again:

So what is your functional gauge?
A spent shotgun shell slip-fit?

Borrow a bore gage from the machinist at work???

I think it would be easy to over do it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That's the reason I use the less abrasive steel wool and semi chrome polish and admonish to check often you want to polish. Not bore it out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What Redneck said. Have done it but no 1/2 inch drill so I use a 3/8 dowel and 320 wet-or-dry. Also I don't worry so much about the fit, when you spin it up it acts like a flap wheel.

The idea is to knock off gunk and surface rust proud of the metal, not grind out pits. You'd have to work at it to hurt the chamber.

Gauge? Just go at it until the chamber looks shiny, doesn't take long at all, and go out and shoot it to see if it extracts smoothly now.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 222ND, 41 invisible), 1,982 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,067
Posts18,463,501
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.