-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My first deer hunt was with an "expert", and he admitted missing the only deer he saw that day because he "wanted his scope at 3 power!" shocked While he was fiddling, the deer departed! Iirc, it was set about 7X.

I like my 3-9 and 2.5-7, but mostly, they remain set at ~ 6X, and I really like my 4x. Not an AO in the lot. I don't think it has stunted my growth. wink

Soo, technological advances can be a boon. But, if a person can set it where he thinks it will enhance his best performance, and not give in to the temptation to "fine tune" things, then it can be a plus; outside of the fact it's just one more level of complexity to go kerflooie at the worst time. frown

What's the worst thing that can happen? O.K., what's the next worst thing?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm always supportive of anything that enhances accuracy.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/14/17.

1Minute
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Weight, clutter, moving parts.

No thanks.

The same could be said for any variable scope. Use a fixed if you want to take that philosophy to the extreme. That may be your choice,just saying.

Yup--for hunting either a 4x or 6x works just fine to 400+ yards.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by memtb
Doeslayer, It depends upon how far you shoot when hunting. If your starting at around 500 yards and going farther it can be of help! At extreme ranges, everything you can do optically, is to your advantage. And ethically speaking, you owe it to the animal! memtb

I agree, out to 500 yds AO isn't needed.

If your shooting past 500 yds there are scopes that will still work that are non AO. For example I've got a Zeiss Terra 3 with the Z6 reticle that has a 300 yd parralax setting and at 500 yds and further the parralax is pretty tight.

Scopes with a 100 yd parralax setting won't be as accurate at longer distance.

This doesn't necessarily mean you are only destined to buy scopes with a 300 yd parralax setting. Its pretty easy to take a non AO scope and reset the parralax yourself or some scope companies such a Leopold will adjust the parralax on there scopes for a small fee.

As mentioned if hunting beyond 500 yds regularly a scope with AO would be of benifit.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Weight, clutter, moving parts.

No thanks.

^^^^+++++

Right on.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
DoeSlayer: I prefer and use (almost exclusively!) scopes WITH adjustable objectives on my Rifles!
This is true for both my Varmint Hunting and Big Game Hunting Rifles!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I had a Zeiss HD 5 with the Rapid Zee 600 reticle. Parallax was set at 300 on that scope. It wasn't as clear as I thought it should have been shooting paper at 100 yards. It is a fine idea for hunting since you don't need ultimate resolution for hunting but I didn't like an $800 scope that wasn't clear so it went down the road. I likely would have kept it if it would have had a SF.

What it boils down to is that some folks apparently aren't smart enough to use an adjustable parallax,or rather smart enough to know when to leave it alone. Apparently some aren't even smart enough to use a variable scope. Maybe those folks would be better off with iron sights or even a shotgun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's those who are so utterly incompetent at hunting that they try to make up for their gross incompetence with gadgets.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Bugger
There's those who are so utterly incompetent at hunting that they try to make up for their gross incompetence with gadgets.

Yea,who needs those newfangled gadgets? Nothing wrong with black powder ,a round ball and a patch.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Bugger

Yea,who needs those newfangled gadgets? Nothing wrong with black powder ,a round ball and a patch.
I've killed a bunch of deer with black powder and patched round balls. I've also killed a shytload of woodchucks at 250-350 yards with scopes that don't have an adjustable objective. Head shot one on purpose {that's all that was above ground} just the other day at 280 with my .22-250 as a matter of fact.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
clearlity maybe, accuracy no

Last edited by ldholton; 04/23/17.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
For deer sized targets to 400 yds, AO is superfulous.

But I like to use my game rifles for other things between seasons. Parralax induced error will easily cause misses on golf ball sized targets at 300 to 400 yds.

And yes, when all you can see is the whistle pig's head, it is about the size of a golf ball.

All my rifles with more than 9x scopes have AO.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

What it boils down to is that some folks apparently aren't smart enough to use an adjustable parallax,or rather smart enough to know when to leave it alone. Apparently some aren't even smart enough to use a variable scope. Maybe those folks would be better off with iron sights or even a shotgun.

I'm not arguing your points...

All my 4-12s have AO except one. I set them at 200 yd and DONT touch them. (for hunting)

Most of the time my scope is set at 6, except when I'm in close timber. In open areas - IF - I need more I simply crank UP w/o looking at the scope or wasting time fiddling. I've been using this system many years. Works for me.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Your question answers your question. If you were familiar with a variable scope and AO, you wouldn't even ask the question, you would buy the scope you want. If you don't know how to use a variable scope, you are better off with a fixed power.

Also, the myth that a good variable scope will break down on you, is just that, a myth. There are thousands out there that don't break down and I know plenty of people that have those kind of scopes and no problems.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jwall

I'm not arguing your points...

All my 4-12s have AO except one. I set them at 200 yd and DONT touch them. (for hunting)

Most of the time my scope is set at 6, except when I'm in close timber. In open areas - IF - I need more I simply crank UP w/o looking at the scope or wasting time fiddling. I've been using this system many years. Works for me.

Jerry

Exactly. I keep all my variable scopes set at the lowest setting because where I hunt a close shot is more likely. I'll also keep the AO set to about 150 yards. I have no need to touch either unless a really long shot present's itself,in which case I have time to change it. If I didn't have time to change it,like an animal moving into a tree line,I wouldn't even try.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I settled on a Swarovski Z3 3-9x36. Thanks to all for your input and recommendations. Joe

"The only two things in life that make it worth livin'
Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 48 invisible), 2,902 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,594
Posts18,454,365
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.