Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#11974463 04/15/17
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Could you prevail upon Shrap and Dober to grace us with their presence, again?
I miss their common sense, and experiences.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes, please.

μολὼν λαβέ
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sorry, I talk to both regularly, and neither is even considering returning. Both say they eventually grew too weary of the Campfire's downsides, in particular the drama that deflects many threads.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A bunch of Baptists had that effect on me once, no twice.

Give 'em my regards.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Miss both there posts Dober more so! sadly the fire is dieing Im afraid!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I'm tired of how much politics and trash talk appears on this site. If this is part of the "campfire" experience I can see why some depart.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Politics is fine in the general forum, as are tucks, oil changes, good lookin' wimmin, etc. But, the trash talk is beyond ridiculous. I have a very high IDGAF quotient, when it's directed at me, but some get more heaped on them than others and decide, "why bother?" Can't blame them, but do miss their posts. Lot of valuable experience and good stories there.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Sorry, I talk to both regularly, and neither is even considering returning. Both say they eventually grew too weary of the Campfire's downsides, in particular the drama that deflects many threads.

I totally understand, but optimistically hope they will return one day. The negative thoughtless feedback here is a sad reflection of....... you know what I mean.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Amen. I often wonder why I continue to participate. I do, however, miss both of them.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Sure miss them both! I can see why they left!

Molon Labe
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Whatever happened to civil dicussions? I have never been a big poster here but do find a lot of good info if you wade through the hostile bs.

We are losing some great members whom got tired of the nonsense that is allowed to go on here. Maybe it is time for the moderators to start clamping down and clean this forum up.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
On the other hand, one of the attractions of the Campfire for some members is the lack of heavy-handed moderators.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, one could make a case either way, loose or tight control.

You can add Pat (Scenarshooter) to the list. He occasionally posts, but not nearly like he did. I think he wearied of the drama and BS, as well.

I've said it before, we seem to be losing the ones we need to keep, keeping the ones we could stand to lose...

I appreciate the good ones we still have, tolerate the rest.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Am actually a bit surprised that you're still here, MD... there's been an awful lot of bullshit slung your way.

Can't blame Dober or any of the others who no longer show up. I pick and choose my threads...

The rude and the ignorant are everywhere. For a brief while this place seemed to be an exception...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, agree.

John's tough, not easily distracted by drama, doesn't get hung up on stupid... grin

He stays focused on what he's doing, not on what a few others are doing.

If one is confident in who and what he is, challenges by the lesser trying to feel greater isn't a challenge at all. At best, just a nuisance.

At least we've lost a few trolls along the way.

DF

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Those two were good to read. This place could us some moderation. Just the extreme rudeness in places where doesn't fit. Lots of good to be found here, I put up with rest, but question why on occasion.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
this is a two edged sword. We don't have a lot of people that pretend to know something that they don't know and pass along BS. Those that do are generally called out and discouraged from posting. I don't bother visiting some of the websites run by people who allow idiots and liars to post. On the other hand a few here seem to have some deep issues and while knowledgeable spend more time thinking of insults than arguing their case. I would rather see a person make their point with mathematics, science, experiment, shown in pictures than act like a democrat and attack the messenger.

Secondly this is a hunting and shooting website frequented by individuals, and not lemming nor other weak minded creatures. The likes of JeffO and others could vanish forever and not be missed here as they are simply are not going to convince anyone to their liberal point of view. So why bother to stir up trouble? Go find a like minded website and post there.

There is still a lot of knowledge here, I just read a review on a pistol I did not even know about and am enjoying reading about the 358 winchester in another thread. If any changes I would like to see people that post under the campfire forums and only post about liberal politics and attack the rest of us have a "troll" badge where their picture is supposed to be after their 5 or 6th political attack, a lot of these people are paid on line presences that do this for a living.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I miss reading Dober's posts too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The fact that this place is so unmoderated is what makes it such a success. Every site that’s become heavily moderated has nosedived. 24hcf got its big jump start when the moderator at Shooters.com started getting very heavy handed so people migrated to 24hcf en masse.

What we are seeing here is freedom of speech and freedom of speech always contains within it the possibility for hearing (or reading) things one doesn’t like. We could become 24 Hour Snowflake Site and ban people who might say things that offend us, that’s exactly what’s happening on liberal college campuses these days. People want someone else to protect them from things they don’t want to hear. So what happens when those people decide that what you (the you of whoever reads this) are saying is unacceptable?

The internet has given us the ability to communicate with people we’d never have met in a million years and I derive a great benefit not only from seeing technical things discussed but just reading about what others do – Northern Dave’s cars and Kamo Gari’s culinary pictorials and Kaywoodie’s and Birdwatcher’s living history not to mention going along vicariously on Birdwatchers monumental bike tours, and “talking’ to Mule Deer who has taught me more about handloading for accuracy in the last few years than I learned in the prior 30; plus learning from the accumulated knowledge and experiences of hundreds and hundreds of other folks on an encyclopedic array of subjects.

The flip side is that it gives social maladroits and alcoholics and the perpetually angry (which includes several of the “big personalities” here) a chance to lash out and spew their sh*t at people who wouldn’t otherwise have to listen to their crap.

The ONLY way to squash a troll is to NOT RESPOND. but people's egos are so huge and controlling they think they are actually hurting these trolls by responding and calling them names. NO - trolls don't care what kind of attention they receive as long as they receive attention. So the big egos and those angry at what they say feed them a banquet here instead of starving them which is the ONLY way to get rid of a troll.

If anyone doesn’t like what someone writes then just ignore them, either formally with the Ignore feature of just plain ignore it. Or folks can do like those under discussion have done and decide their time is best spent elsewhere. Other people have freedom of speech, we have freedom of choice.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by jimmyp
this is a two edged sword. We don't have a lot of people that pretend to know something that they don't know and pass along BS. Those that do are generally called out and discouraged from posting. I don't bother visiting some of the websites run by people who allow idiots and liars to post. On the other hand a few here seem to have some deep issues and while knowledgeable spend more time thinking of insults than arguing their case. I would rather see a person make their point with mathematics, science, experiment, shown in pictures than act like a democrat and attack the messenger.

Secondly this is a hunting and shooting website frequented by individuals, and not lemming nor other weak minded creatures. The likes of JeffO and others could vanish forever and not be missed here as they are simply are not going to convince anyone to their liberal point of view. So why bother to stir up trouble? Go find a like minded website and post there.

There is still a lot of knowledge here, I just read a review on a pistol I did not even know about and am enjoying reading about the 358 winchester in another thread. If any changes I would like to see people that post under the campfire forums and only post about liberal politics and attack the rest of us have a "troll" badge where their picture is supposed to be after their 5 or 6th political attack, a lot of these people are paid on line presences that do this for a living.

Yes, this is a hunting and shooting website, one frequented by many conservatives who flaunt their viewpoints, but the liberal hunter/shooters are supposed to go elsewhere. I didn't realize that this site was set up for only conservatives. Which gets back to my earlier comment about politics and trash talk on this site. No wonder things don't work anymore.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,145
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.